need new trailer tires .....

/ need new trailer tires ..... #11  
First off 6 years are the max on tires. Secondly, you need 5 tires, not 4!

Carlisle tires are considered the worst of the worst. My recommendation would be Greenball Towmaster Radials or a close second is Maxxis Radials.

Metal valve stems, balanced, and inflated to max pressure is a must!

/ need new trailer tires ..... #12  

Carlisle tires are considered the worst of the worst. My recommendation would be Greenball Towmaster Radials or a close second is Maxxis Radials.

You know, I've always heard that 5-6 years is max replacement interval. I checked the tires on my camper trailer last night. They are date code 3710, so almost 7 years old. They have been indoors in either the camper's showroom or inside an fully enclosed and dark barn / garage at all times (unless driving or camping) since new. The tires show no cracking or signs of being tired. I'm very inclined to run them for another year or -gasp- two with frequent inspection. Am I delusional? Asking for trouble? Just for information, in the last year I bought Michelins for my car, new Firestones for my wife's Expedition, and a total of 6 Maxxis radials for two of my trailers, so I'm not averse to buying quality tires. I am averse to throwing money away by replacing perfectly good tires.

I'm willing to listen - enlighten me.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #13  
By the way, I typically replace street motorcycle tires every 5-6 years. Since there's only TWO of them, it seems like a good idea for safety reasons...

/ need new trailer tires .....

I know we need a spare ... however, to get the trailer back usable, we only need the four that will meet the road ... I would hope none of the new tires would go flat the first time out .....

As for the Carlisle tires, they came on the trailer when it was new - that is the reason I posted this thread - to get an idea of the direction we need to take. It will be May before we can buy new tires.

Apparently, the TC40D with the 16LA FEL and the BH 70X backhoe weighs about 6700 pounds. The trailer is 22' with two 8-lug axles (I need to check and see what they are rated - but that will have to wait till the weekend)

Any thoughts on this tire (I think they are made here [US])
COOPER
DISCOVERER HT
LT235 /85 R16 120Q E1 BSW

Last edited:
   / need new trailer tires ..... #15  
Depending on usage but trailer tires go bad mainly from age, not wear. Always check the date code of new ones when buying, some tire dealers sell ones that are years old. Get ones less than a year old or better.

The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #16  
I know we need a spare ... however, to get the trailer back usable, we only need the four that will meet the road ... I would hope none of the new tires would go flat the first time out .....

As for the Carlisle tires, they came on the trailer when it was new - that is the reason I posted this thread - to get an idea of the direction we need to take. It will be May before we can buy new tires.

Apparently, the TC40D with the 16LA FEL and the BH 70X backhoe weighs about 6700 pounds. The trailer is 22' with two 8-lug axles (I need to check and see what they are rated - but that will have to wait till the weekend)

Any thoughts on this tire (I think they are made here [US])
COOPER
DISCOVERER HT
LT235 /85 R16 120Q E1 BSW

8 lug axles are usually 6K HD version, most 6K are 6 lug, or 7K axles.

So your trailer is either rated at 12,000 or 14,000#.

There is no way I would leave my property with either of my 3 trailers without a spare, a decent bottle jack, and a proper lug wrench that fits the trailer. You are not talking that much money. Worst case you can get a wheel on eBay for about $30 and use your "best" old tire.

I am not a fan of LT tires on trailers. The sidewalks are not as strong as ST tires. In my are also all the dealers will not mount anything but ST tires on a trailer for liability reasons.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #17  
I purchased my trailer a month after buying my 1999 Silverado,,,

20150707_184042_zpscwdyaeae.jpg

The tires are original,,, all 4 valve stems failed one winter,,,
the stems were replaced,,

With the "replace every 6 years" belief,, I should be on my third set of tires, rather than the first.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #18  
I purchased my trailer a month after buying my 1999 Silverado,,,

20150707_184042_zpscwdyaeae.jpg

The tires are original,,, all 4 valve stems failed one winter,,,
the stems were replaced,,

With the "replace every 6 years" belief,, I should be on my third set of tires, rather than the first.
Around here no tire shop will touch a tire over 6 years old except to dismount it.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #19  
8 lug axles are usually 6K HD version, most 6K are 6 lug, or 7K axles.

So your trailer is either rated at 12,000 or 14,000#.

There is no way I would leave my property with either of my 3 trailers without a spare, a decent bottle jack, and a proper lug wrench that fits the trailer. You are not talking that much money. Worst case you can get a wheel on eBay for about $30 and use your "best" old tire.

I am not a fan of LT tires on trailers. The sidewalks are not as strong as ST tires. In my are also all the dealers will not mount anything but ST tires on a trailer for liability reasons.

I do carry a spare, jack, & lug wrench.
However: I am an old guy, and I also carry a cell phone.
"Towing & Labor" coverage, or AAA, will work, with much less effort, if you are willing to take the time to wait.

/ need new trailer tires ..... #20  
Around here no tire shop will touch a tire over 6 years old except to dismount it.

they will around here. There are many used tire places around here. All they sell are used. No telling how old the tire is.

I buy all my 235 -85-16 E Rated tires from them. New ones seem to dry rot B-4 they wear out

The used ones I buy are $35-$40.00 mounted. I'm just not gonna pay big money for new trailer tires that dry rot in a few yrs

Yes, I keep a spare for every trailer I have