Need opinion on O/A welding kit

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #11  
What ever what ever, Go to a distributor and read a new Smith torch set box. it says " Designed, Engineered and Assembled in USA " Nothing about being built. They also just dropped the flash arrestors in the cutting attachment and it is now an option. Everything will be built in a low cost country soon. Buy what you like.

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #12  
i'm surprised how hard this was to find, but here is my choice. they are/were distributed in canada by air liquide. i think they have an airco pedegree but tough to find info/pictures. it looks like they use an airco style tip even though they are labelled l/a (cast into the valve bodies).

victor is still the big dog up here, but i like these better. (notice the long barrel cutting head:thumbsup:)

Air Liquide cutting outfit

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #13  
I like my Smith. I like Harris, Victor too. But if I buy another, it will be a ESAB/Prestolite/Purox...Their regulators are the best and safest made in the industry... Everyone I have ever seen, the owner swear by them. Here's a video demo of the safety vs. a competitors...YouTube - ESAB Regulator Burn-out Safety Video

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #14  
I have sold thoudsands of ESAB Torch Kits in my distributor days and yes, I agree that the Purox line is among the best out there. I have sold every style of TrimLine down to the 250 series and ESAB would be my choice over Smith or Harris. Actually I would choose Harris over Smith too. The reason is if Smith were so good, Someone would be copying it by now. Burnout wise, The new Victor Edge Rags can not burn out. Look them up. Also I am not by any means bashing Smith. A very good friend of mine is a Smith Rep and that is where I get my info. As for My Alaska comment, Yes I work with EXXON, SHELL and BP quarterly and spend time in -60 to -80 actual temps. They choose Victor Edge Regs and Torches. Lincoln Welders all types, Tweco Mig Guns, Thermal Arc, OTC and Fronius for Twin Pulse Aluminum Welding, TD Plasma, Jackson Hoods and a few Speed Glass, Stoody, MG and Lincoln hard surface wire, Turbo torch and Harris Welco for all Soldering and Brazing and that's it. It seems like what ever Brand someone owns, They brag it up to be the best. The Fact is, There is no real Junk out there or it wouldn't be out there. From a Salesman perspective The problem is it all lasts too long. If you sell a Torch set ( any brand ) It will last 20-30 years and for a few hundred bucks it lasts too long. Aside from the Battery Charger Names, The Mig, Tig , Stick and Plasma units will last too long too.

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #15  
(notice the long barrel cutting head:thumbsup:)

Air Liquide cutting outfit

Keeping your cool is important when you want nice clean cuts. Short cutting heads are only good for small bolts.

The most important part of any Oxy/Acetylene setup is safely handling the regulators. More people are hurt staring into them when they open the valves. Stand off to the side and keep the valve stem between yourself and the regulator when you open the cylinder valve. Also keep the regulators clean and dry.

QUOTE=shade tree welder;2168004]
Concerning you FIL's set, what brand is it? If it is Harris, Smith or Victor
I would get it repaired and have a qualified tech rebuild the regs if they
need rebuilding. You will have a much better set for similar money then
the HF Imports. Better quality A/O equipment is designed to be able to be
repaired and rebuilt and parts are available.[/QUOTE]

Shade tree gave you some good input here also. You can replace any of these components as you get more familiar and devlop your own taste.

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #16  
Air Liquide is a distributor not a manufacturer. They buy this aftermarket torch for resale. All Torch Manufacturers make torches from 12-16" to 16' or more. I often demo a 10' 3 hose torch that cuts 40" steel. I know who makes the torch you showed. It's not the distributor..It's all good though.:thumbsup:

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #17  
Air Liquide is a distributor not a manufacturer. They buy this aftermarket torch for resale.

like i said, they have liquid air logo's cast right into the valve bodies. these are top quality torches, the trigger setup is the best i have ever used, they are comfortable and stable. i really would like to find out the story behind them though.:thumbsup:

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #18  
All the original poster wanted to know was if the oxy knob was opened all the way and missing, could he still use the torch as a cutting torch only. He probably doesn't care what is best. He has what he has, and he wants to use it.

If you all say no, then he wants to buy the HF unit.

Money talks, and if you got it, you got it, and if you don't, you don't.

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #19  
If it's the valve on the mixing chamber, I'd say yes. Just open it all the way, the oxygen control is on the cutting head. But if hes going to use a welding tip, it's gonna be hassle.

/ Need opinion on O/A welding kit #20  
All the original poster wanted to know was if the oxy knob was opened all the way and missing, could he still use the torch as a cutting torch only. He probably doesn't care what is best. He has what he has, and he wants to use it.

good thing somebody's paying attention.:D

shield arc; what kind of torch is that?