Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #1  

heymack

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, Ford 555A, New Holland TM120, New Holland TT60A
I drained nearly 8 gallons of oil out of my transmission/hydraulic sump and now need to refill. The problem is, the refill hole is about the diameter of a pencil (or smaller) and located under the seat, up against the seat support, so there's virtually no way to use any kind of funnel (I've seen poor designs before but this one takes the cake).

I tried using a quart sized gear oil bottle inverted with the bottom cut out to act as a long, thin funnel, but it wouldn't stay in place and fluid spilled everywhere. I've thought about using a small diameter hose to give myself more clearance, but considering the size of the refill hole, it would probably take a week or two to get 8 gallons back in.

Any suggestions?

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #2  
If it really is that small, and the correct hole, it truly is a poor design.

I would suggest consulting your manual, or someone with your machine.

I have never heard of a refill hole for a trans case being so small?
They are typically about 1" or so in diameter, with a hand-screw-off cap.
Are you filing into the dipstick tube? On older units there is a dipstick tube but also a fill hole.

On newer units, some brands, they are incorporating the dipstick tube as the fill, but making them larger diameter.

What Model/Brand/Year machine do you have?

I would stop and do a little research, and make sure you are flowing hydraulic oil into the correct opening.

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #3  
That sounds more like a vent than a fill. Look for a big plug on top or high on the side somewhere.

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump
Yep, it's a terrible design. I've read the manual and looked all over the place for a better fill hole, but to no avail. Here's a pic of the dipstick in the hole and a scan of the manual....fwiw, it's a NH TT60A.

IMG_6169.jpg

img006.jpg

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #5  
Most Ford or NH tractors has a dip stick . There should be a place between the lift arms or on the top of transmission housing . Look for a metal or plastic plug 1 to 2 " .

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #6  
How about that plug in the lower right of your picture, or is it just a casting plug?

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #7  
If you look on top of the trans cover the one held on with 6 bolts that is where the filler hole is according to the parts pages

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump
Dirthog said:
If you look on top of the trans cover the one held on with 6 bolts that is where the filler hole is according to the parts pages

After a couple hours worth of refilling the sump through a tube about the size of a straw, I noticed a bolt on top of the tranny (about a "mile" away from the dipstick hole shown above) that looked somewhat out of place and figure it is probably the actual refill location. But since I was already done with the job I didn't even bother opening it up. The problem with this new tractor is that all the bolts look the same and all are coated in that thick black paint they use at the factory......coupled with the fact that the operator's manual is next to worthless. In fact my manual says to drain engine oil out of hole plugged by a typical hex head, but in reality the drain location is not where it's shown in the manual and is an allen headed plug.

Oh well, aside from a bit of wasted time, a quart or so of new oil on the ground and many expletives, all's well that ends well. Thanks for the help guys.

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #9  
heymack said:
After a couple hours worth of refilling the sump through a tube about the size of a straw, I noticed a bolt on top of the tranny (about a "mile" away from the dipstick hole shown above) that looked somewhat out of place and figure it is probably the actual refill location. But since I was already done with the job I didn't even bother opening it up. The problem with this new tractor is that all the bolts look the same and all are coated in that thick black paint they use at the factory......coupled with the fact that the operator's manual is next to worthless. In fact my manual says to drain engine oil out of hole plugged by a typical hex head, but in reality the drain location is not where it's shown in the manual and is an allen headed plug.

Oh well, aside from a bit of wasted time, a quart or so of new oil on the ground and many expletives, all's well that ends well. Thanks for the help guys.

My mid 80's Kubota is the same. The oil fill hole is tiny. So i bought an oil pump. I think it cost about $25. It looks like a fat bike pump with two plastic hoses. One short hose goes into the oil drum. The long hose goes to the tractor (with bored wife holding it in the hole). I sit on the drum and slowly pump for about 20 mins. Very tedious especially with cold oil.

Was the other possible filler hole that you mentioned higher than the dipstick hole? Perhaps thats why its not mentioned in the manual - so it doesn't accidently get overfilled.

/ Need Some Help Refilling Tranny/Hydraulic Sump #10  
I see you read the abridged manual that starts off with;

1) remove shoe, shoot self in foot

jb