Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #1  

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
Sold my equipment up here, I will be moving to FL this summer, I will be helping to maintain a 26 acre horse farm, (my sisters place) across the street. All open grass land.

She has a 3038 that she bush hogs and drags fields with and it has a loader. She has a diesel Kubota zero turn.

My place will be a matter of mowing grass, about a 1 acre of grass and 3 acres of bush hogging field.

So I want to be able to help her out. She considered selling her place because it is to much for her to keep up but when I told her I am coming down and would help she decided to stay, (she knows I will do what I say I'm going to do) she is single and works hard, she loves her farm, I will be there all the time doing things to help.

No driveway maintenance at all. A ton of fencing though..

So we have a 3038 with a loader and bush hog, a Kubota zero turn and a Gator.

Give me some idea's that I might not be thinking about. Thanks in advance..

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #2  
So we have a 3038 with a loader and bush hog, a Kubota zero turn and a Gator.

I think you are well equipped for the first year.

In year two consider some form of pasture aerator.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need.
I’m kinda wondering if I might need some kind of side by side, she uses her gator as much as her truck. If I bought one I could probably drag the fields with it also. I don’t know much about them. I think from my house to her barn area is 500 yards, I’m thinking something to jump in/on and be where I want to be in no time, I suppose an atv would work, just not as useful around the farm.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #4  
Fencing ==> post hole digger ? Golf cart with rear platform or dump box and rear trailer hitch. I have 2 carts 1 electric and 1 gas. My 4 wheeler has not been stated since I got the carts.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #5  
I'm wondering if I might need some kind of side by side, she uses her gator as much as her truck.

Why not? I put one hour on my Kubota RTV500 for every two hours on my Kubota L3560. For me the RTV500 is primarily a tool carrier.

As you know, I am old. Reliability and workability is far more important to me than speed. Nothing beats the HST transmissions Kubota uses in almost all it's RTVs for workability.

Attachments

• DSC00061.jpg
    DSC00061.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 89
  • DSC00445.JPG
    DSC00445.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 80
I think I’m gonna need something like that. Looks pretty handy..

Fencing ==> post hole digger ? Golf cart with rear platform or dump box and rear trailer hitch. I have 2 carts 1 electric and 1 gas. My 4 wheeler has not been stated since I got the carts.

Yes, a post hole digger is essential there, I Can’t believe she doesn’t have one, been replacing posts with a shovel, heck with that..

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #8  
Yes, a post hole digger is essential there, I Can’t believe she doesn’t have one, been replacing posts with a shovel, heck with that..

Before you drop a bunch of coin on a tractor mounted auger, if you can get by with 6" diameter holes, I highly recommend the powered auger sold at Harbor Freight for less than $200. I dug eight 2' holes for 4x4 posts in about 10 minutes in hard clay with that thing. Have also used it it for a flagpole project, and a lot of plantings. It's an excellent little machine, easily run by one person. Had been thinking I was going to buy a cat 1 auger, and very glad I didn't.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #9  
Get a season under your belt before you spend up, or you will probably get the wrong machine.

RE post hole borer. If you go hand held, chinese are cheap, but Stihl are much ,much, better in balance, ease of start, and usablity.

/ Need Some Idea's Figuring Out What Equipment I Need. #10  
I agree that the 3038 will be fine for the tractor needs of the horse property; it can handle round bales fine and can stack them 2 high for storage.

My question is, "how is the 26 acres divided up?" Other than an exercise yard, are there individual, smaller paddocks? Do they require daily cleaning (manure) or are the paddocks rotated so that they can be simply drag-harrowed after the horses have been shifted to the next paddock?

How are the horses fed? Daily rations? Rations + hay? If hay, is it a round bale or daily 'biscuits' from a square bale?

A friend of mine runs a thoroughbred/sporthorse agistment property (30+ horses and foals)... her main vehicle is a side-by-side.

There are many implements available for paddock management (smaller area) to be used with an ATV/UTV.