need some IDEAS

/ need some IDEAS #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
My tractor is NOT built to be used in construction! I need a machine with tracks to push the soft moss that's on the ground. I don't even think a skid steer can do what I want here maybe a bull dozer with HP to push the ground so I can put a foundation down. I'm thinking of a layer of stones 2" high compacted down and then road gravel to top the road off what do you think about that?.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 349
   / need some IDEAS #3  
With that ground looks like you'll need 3' of blast rock ( 3 -6" ) then crush to top it off you want your finished at least a 1' or more higher than surrounding area. An excavator may work best for scrapping off the surface muck.

/ need some IDEAS #5  
Jack it may not be available for you but is used around here in swampy areas and does the job. It is blasted rock ( eg. bed rock ) and very irregular in shape so it ties together to form a good foundation. It's not a material you get to grade once it's laid you just spread it out and pack it then you level the surface with your finish material. Most likely any type of coarse rock will serve your purpose. For smaller aggregate eg. 2" you would have to lay a large sheet of robing material place some rock over it then fold the edges back over the rock and place another layer on top to hold the bottom layer from just spreading out side ways. Sorry for the in adequate explanation I realize a pic. would be of more help.

/ need some IDEAS
Where I but gravel he just has 2" rocks,1 1/2 ,3/4 and sand . I would have to check the town that East of me for anything else.

/ need some IDEAS #8  
My tractor is NOT built to be used in construction! I need a machine with tracks to push the soft moss that's on the ground. I don't even think a skid steer can do what I want here maybe a bull dozer with HP to push the ground so I can put a foundation down. I'm thinking of a layer of stones 2" high compacted down and then road gravel to top the road off what do you think about that?.

Back up a little....I don't know what's common practice in your area, but the first thing that I wonder about is why is it so boggy there? Is there a stream nearby or what? Where does the water come from? Is there enough of a natural grade to drain your land?

What do you plan to build?

Right now what I see is a bog verging on being a swamp. How do people around you deal with building on that kind of ground? Do they put houses on piers and a raised roadway? Or maybe do it like in Britain and Europe with raised roadways between fields that are drained by canals. Even there, they tend to put their houses in a high spot.

It's fun to kick ideas around, and I'll do that all day long. But I'm thinking we're going to need some local knowledge if you plan to build anything substantial.

Oh, and BTW, a dozer is the tool for this. In fact, a dozer operator may well be the person to help with the design.

luck,
rScotty

/ need some IDEAS #9  
Scotty's right about what do you have in mind to build , and are you able to drain the area? But driving on a muddy area is the last thing you do unless you want to make more mud. The less you disturb the area the better.

/ need some IDEAS
OK Scotty,

my house has a wet areas in the woods and it wraps around the field to a empty hole about 20' and further on is a pond. I'm not the only one in town who has water on their land, maybe its a high water table here even my well is not down to far about 40' or so. The houses in the area are normal no piers but I hear not to many basements in the area. yeah I played in the clay today wanted to see what my tractor could handle! I scarped some of the moss away. Now this is what I plan to do, my outside boiler is in this area and I also plan on building a lean to to extend my wood shed and have a area for my tractor implements and build a road for the wood truck to drop off a few cords for me.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 197