Need some input on a new tractor...

/ Need some input on a new tractor...
Thanks for all the advise folks.
I think I'll just rent or hire an excavator for the stumping and forgo the backhoe. Hoping to get out to some dealers again this weekend and I'll focus on something larger than a B series...

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #12  
I rented a nice tracked mini-excavator for $350 for a weekend including fuel, delivery, and pickup. That would easily clear the stumps out of the garden area you are talking about - probably 10x as fast as a tractor backhoe.

For me the big question is are you going to run this on your lawn. if so you want to stay away from the weight of a bigger tractor. My 1710 is plenty of weight on a soft lawn and it doesn't have AG tires. 25 hp is very marginal is you are going hydro - I would look more in the 35 range.

As far a s weight and stability - that is all how you use them. My little 1710 isn't that heavy (2450 lbs + loader) but it does very well at a lot of things; just don't expect to do a lot of heavy pushing or pulling or twisting lifting - it won't. Still i have no problem handling a couple of 15' sections of an oak tree that are 18-20" diameter using the 3 pt or dragging the 30' section with solid ground to pull on. If it was hydro though it wouldn't have enough lugging power. I can run a 5' bush hog just fine but it works it. a 5' tiller in deep is a good load. Those two sections of oak on the back was a good load and even with the loader the front end was light but I could have put some weight in the scoop if I had needed it.

For going in the woods the 5' width is very handy. I can drive mine through most of the woods around me when I cut firewood so I can get close and not have to carry it. Very handy. This is the right size of tractor for me for my 6 acres plus access to about 40 acres of woods. It will push snow and handle a snowblower. Pushing snow requires technique though because it doesn't have the power or traction if the snow is deep. If i was going to change though I would add some more hp and keep the same size frame.

Good luck!

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #13  
I rented a nice tracked mini-excavator for $350 for a weekend including fuel, delivery, and pickup. That would easily clear the stumps out of the garden area you are talking about - probably 10x as fast as a tractor backhoe.

For me the big question is are you going to run this on your lawn. if so you want to stay away from the weight of a bigger tractor. My 1710 is plenty of weight on a soft lawn and it doesn't have AG tires. 25 hp is very marginal is you are going hydro - I would look more in the 35 range.

As far a s weight and stability - that is all how you use them. My little 1710 isn't that heavy (2450 lbs + loader) but it does very well at a lot of things; just don't expect to do a lot of heavy pushing or pulling or twisting lifting - it won't. Still i have no problem handling a couple of 15' sections of an oak tree that are 18-20" diameter using the 3 pt or dragging the 30' section with solid ground to pull on. If it was hydro though it wouldn't have enough lugging power. I can run a 5' bush hog just fine but it works it. a 5' tiller in deep is a good load. Those two sections of oak on the back was a good load and even with the loader the front end was light but I could have put some weight in the scoop if I had needed it.

For going in the woods the 5' width is very handy. I can drive mine through most of the woods around me when I cut firewood so I can get close and not have to carry it. Very handy. This is the right size of tractor for me for my 6 acres plus access to about 40 acres of woods. It will push snow and handle a snowblower. Pushing snow requires technique though because it doesn't have the power or traction if the snow is deep. If i was going to change though I would add some more hp and keep the same size frame.

Good luck!

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #14  
I think you have made a WISE decision on the backhoe. There are a lot of folks that spent big $$$ on a backhoe, had one or two jobs and now the implement sits quietly off to the side. Its an awfully expensive counter weight for use with the FEL. Use the $$$ to purchase a larger tractor, FEL & rear blade for winter time snow removal. Look for a land plane grading scraper for summer maintenance of the driveway. You live in the land where used rear blades & used land plane grading scrapers might be available.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #15  
I would like my wife to be able to use the tractor to clear snow when I'm away.

No wisdom here as mine hasn't even arrived yet. Just a caution..

This well meaning, even innocent, intention walked me from an L3901 to a Grand L4760. A lot cheaper (if you care and it's possible) to hire someone as needed.

Good luck!

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #16  
I also agree that you are better off renting or hiring out for your sump removal and going without the backhoe on the tractor and using those funds to go bigger or get implements that you will use to maintain the property.

I moved onto 2 acres with ~1.5 that needed clearing / landscaping. I chipped away at it for years with a 20 hp tractor that weighed ~4000 pounds with loader, brush cage filled tires and me. It was marginally heavy enough for landscaping with the bucket but did not have enough hydraulic power.

I later went to a 45 hp tractor that is ~6500 pounds but with ~3x the loader lift capacity and ~5x the curl force on the loader. This second tractor seems very appropriate for the landscaping and occasional tree removal / stump removal / rock removal that I do with it.

If you do have an occasional stump to remove, a 40-60 hp tractor with a set of heavy duty forks is actually a decent tool for ripping out trees and forks are useful for lots of other things and are not expensive. A stump bucket is also inexpensive and can dig footers, trenches, and also remove trees / stumps. I wouldn't remove an acre of woods this way but for the occasional stump after the main area is cleared these methods work fine. Below are some pictures of what you can do with forks and a stump bucket. I'm always using them and they aren't a lot of money.

Stump bucket removing tree.jpgdigging with forks.jpgStump bucket footer hole.jpgtractor with tree.jpg

I also appreciate the larger tractor in big snow storms. You can clear just about any snow with a 20 hp tractor with loader, but it may take a while. With the much better loader capacity on the larger tractor, I was able to put a huge bucket on the loader and it's night and day in deep snows. We recently had a 30+ inch storm and I did 9 driveways in the time my neighbors smaller tractor with loader did 1.

Check out all the brands near you in different size frames. Using JD for size reference only - you could get a lot done with anything form the 2000 series size to the 5000 series size. But the different size machines will do things at different rates and there will always be things that no matter what tractor you get, it just wont be big enough to handle it. That will happen a lot more with the 2000 series size than the 5000 series size. I'm not recommending a specific size. Just go out and test drive them. You'll get a feel for what is comfortable to operate - but don't buy that one. But the next bigger one (or even 2 sizes up). They shrink when you take them home and shrink again once they get a few hundred hours on them.

/ Need some input on a new tractor... #17  
I'd go to the L-series tractor or equivalent in another brand. And get the most HP you can in whatever size you choose. IE: get the L3901 over the L3301. Same physical size, but you are really gonna appreciate that extra HP when it comes to tilling that 1/2 acre garden.

As for land clearing, the 12"+ stuff you plan on clearing for the homesite, you would be best NOT to cut them down. An excavator can clear land/stumps MUCH faster with the tree still standing. More leverage to push on, and once it starts to break free it has gravity to help.The worst stumps/land to clear is land where everything is flush cut.

The 6-8" softwood stuff in the back around the garden site, same thing. But for 6-8" softwood I'd use the tractor and FEL and push them over. (or a long chain/rope hooked as high as you can get and pull them over). 6-8" softwood trees are easy with a tractor even as small as a L3901