Need some numbers for my YM240

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #1  

Jared

Hello All,

I had someone barrow and not return my shop manual for my YM 240.

She is starting a bit hard and my mechanic, says that if he had the numbes he could check the settings.. I wrote down what I was supposed to get and now lost the paper.

Tappit clearance ?
Valve Settings ?
Head gap?

I really dont know what to even ask for as HE is the Mechanic...

Thanks Guys
Jared

Attachments

• 49-203585-FarmerJoe.JPG
    49-203585-FarmerJoe.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 206
   / Need some numbers for my YM240 #2  
Ask him........ otherwise, tappet settings, valve clearance is .006". Don't know what head gap means. Head bolt torque is 127-133 ft#.

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #3  
What do you mean by starting a bit hard?
The 240 is a cold blooded SOB, and generally needs a bit of winding up to start when it is below 40*. Mine has been a pain to start when cold since the day it came out of the box.

/ Need some numbers for my YM240
When I say she is starting a bit hard, I just have to crank her for +-60 seconds if she doesnt start then I stop and wait for 120 secs and then try it again, will always start in the second try.

If for some reason I kill her and go eat lunch and then come back it start right up..

How about the TAPPIT Clearance or other SETTINGS I can give to Him... He will have it for tw weeks while I am out of town.

THanks
Jared

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #5  
Mine too!!
I finally put a 1000 crank amp battery in it
and that really helped a lot.

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #6  
Jared, are you using the compression release to pre- circulate the oil, and, like tractorernie says, maybe you just need a bigger battery in addition? Sounds like it starts ok once the oil gets ciculated.

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #7  
All of the two cylinder models I have had start the best using the compression release and putting the throttle at almost full. As soon as it hits I push it back to normal idle. It usually won't hit aver a dozen rpm before I get it idled down.

/ Need some numbers for my YM240 #8  
YUP, that's a 240.
Possible things you might want to do, in addition to using the compression release are, clean and or replace the fuel filter, and doublecheck and use the thermostart system.
By now, the thermostart may have puked out on a 20+ year old tractor.