Need some scrap for practice.... so

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so
It's a go. I talked to them on the phone today. When I told him what I wanted to do, he laughed and said, "Sure, come on down and get some scrap." I'll take him a "deposit" of the bits I have stuck together when I go down.

He's a nice fella.
Ian

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #22  
My local scrap yard quit selling their scrap to individuals. Cited liability issues.

Our scrap yard lets you go right in, just watch out for the Rats, and falling forklifts.

Took this picture the other day, there was a forklift perched at the top of the pile. I was thinking they must have good insurance!

Some nice clean steel stock, not in picture, they sell it for reasonable money compared to steel yard.

JB

Attachments

• 0411111217a.jpg
    0411111217a.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 156
  • 0411111217.jpg
    0411111217.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 159
   / Need some scrap for practice.... so #23  
Few years ago I got about six stacks like this from the local motorcycle shop. Some of the frames had these cool little feet. I've done quite a few projects from this scrap haul.

That third pic is pretty slick how you attached the PTO snow blower to the back of that Propane powered generator.:D

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #24  
Absolutely! Once you've put enough of those nails and thin straps together to make a project you're mighty practiced in the art of welding.

:laughing:

good humor :thumbsup:

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so
Absolutely! Once you've put enough of those nails and thin straps together to make a project you're mighty practiced in the art of welding.

:laughing:

That's funny, but I actually did just that for a bit. I bought a small oxy-acetylene torch a couple years ago and for practice, I put two #20 nails in a vise side by side and tried running a bead down the channel between them. I wanted to learn how to weld sheet metal, specifically chainsaw mufflers, but ultimately gave up on that.

Ian

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #26  
Our scrap yard lets you go right in, just watch out for the Rats, and falling forklifts.

Took this picture the other day, there was a forklift perched at the top of the pile. I was thinking they must have good insurance!

Some nice clean steel stock, not in picture, they sell it for reasonable money compared to steel yard.

JB

Yeah, my yard used to do that. I picked up some really good stuff for pennies on the dollar vs. the new steel place. I got an almost full sheet of diamond plate for $0.20/lb a few years back.

Last time I went to scrounge for pieces they told me they aren't allowing it anymore. Sad day.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #27  
I just went to a scrap steel yard recommended by one of the shop guys at my local tractor dealership. They have a small assortment of random drops, and scrap metal, for 35 cents a pound. While it's nice to be able to pick up some steel for welding practice at a less-than-retail price, 35 cents a pound still adds up quickly! I did get a 36" square sheet of 1/8" steel, some angle iron for reinforcement, and some 2" square tube for legs, so I think I'll try my hand at making a welding table out of that stuff.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #28  
Yeah, my yard used to do that. I picked up some really good stuff for pennies on the dollar vs. the new steel place. I got an almost full sheet of diamond plate for $0.20/lb a few years back.

Last time I went to scrounge for pieces they told me they aren't allowing it anymore. Sad day.

Around here it's the opposite, they never let anyone scrounge in the past, but do now. That goes for the auto junk yard, they never let anyone in there, now they are very accommodating, even have one of the guys drive you out to the section you need in one of their running junks :eek: That can be an adventure all in it's self.

JB

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #29  
Around here it's the opposite, they never let anyone scrounge in the past, but do now. That goes for the auto junk yard, they never let anyone in there, now they are very accommodating, even have one of the guys drive you out to the section you need in one of their running junks :eek: That can be an adventure all in it's self.

JB

The auto parts yard is all for letting me pull stuff myself. This last weekend I stopped in to dicker with a guy about trading most of an old parts bike for some other motorcyle parts I needed for a project. I had my 7-year-old and my 4-year-old with me since I thought we'd just dicker and I'd come back later for the parts. He sent me out with both kids and told me to pull the parts I needed. It surprised the heck out of me, but the kids thought it was a blast. It was like the scene in Lion King when they go to the elephant burial grounds except it was motorcycles instead of elephants.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #30  
As you are welding, you are melting the metal and adding filler material (the rod). The void alongside the weld bead that doesn't get filled back in properly by the rod is called undercut. Usually means you are traveling too fast with your rod and not giving the weld bead time to fill in the void. If the undercut is deep enough, this will be the first place your welded metal will fail.

mdmtr