Need TIG machine purchase advice

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #31  
Jim why not look at multi-process machines? I just love my Invertec V350-Pro with SG spool gun, and LF-72 wire feeder.

Invertec?ョ V350-PRO Multi-Process Welder (Factory Model)

I will have to take a look at that.

I've slowly been doing some reading up on this trying to figure out what would be the best way to go for what I want to do. I would like to (potentially) be able to weld aluminum - also have the capability to do production work on heavy gauge steel.

From some of what I have been reading today - I'm now thinking that I might be better off in the end spending a little more money and getting into something like a Miller 350P - which will do the spray arc welding. From what I've been reading that feature will let me make really nice welds easier on steel and also works much better on aluminum (with the right spool gun)

Millermaticョ 350P - MIG - Miller

The price is really up there - but I have seen a few barely used ones for sale for pretty good prices.

My problem is usually time - and a machine that will "make it easy" for me - even if it costs more - is worth the extra expense. If I can pull it out of the box and make nice welds - it just made it worth the money.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #32  
I've heard nothing but good things about Miller's 350P. My Invertec V350-Pro is the pulse version. Here is what it will do with spray, and pulsed Mig aluminum with the spool gun.

Attachments

• A 29.0.JPG
    A 29.0.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 370
  • Flat fillet.JPG
    Flat fillet.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 264
   / Need TIG machine purchase advice #33  
The miller 350p is what we have at work. It is a very nice machine:thumbsup: Pulsed is great. And fast

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #34  
I'd like a Syncrowave 350, but the current requirements are higher than I'd prefer. That leaves the Dynasty 300.... at 90-100A when I looked at it years ago, it was possible to run in the garage and still have 100A for the rest of the house.

The big advantages of the inverters are light weight, and lower currents. In my opinion the Syncrowave (old fashioned heavy copper) should be able to take more abuse (and they are easier to find used, and cheaper.... unless you don't have the amps to run one, in which case running more amps (or running a generator) also runs up the cost).

Now all I need to do is finish building the garage.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #35  
I'd like a Syncrowave 350, but the current requirements are higher than I'd prefer. That leaves the Dynasty 300.... at 90-100A when I looked at it years ago, it was possible to run in the garage and still have 100A for the rest of the house.

The big advantages of the inverters are light weight, and lower currents. In my opinion the Syncrowave (old fashioned heavy copper) should be able to take more abuse (and they are easier to find used, and cheaper.... unless you don't have the amps to run one, in which case running more amps (or running a generator) also runs up the cost).

Now all I need to do is finish building the garage.

The specs for the 350P say 69 amps max input. I should be ok with that - once I get electricity out to the garage. Sounds like we're running on parallel courses - I am trying to (finally) finish off my barn - and that is what has me thinking of upgrading the welder since I will finally have a place to do some work - once I get the electricity run ou there.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #36  
Jim why not look at multi-process machines? I just love my Invertec V350-Pro with SG spool gun, and LF-72 wire feeder.

Invertecョ V350-PRO Multi-Process Welder (Factory Model)

So help me understand the setup of the Lincoln Invertec 350 ....... The main unit is a power supply that can do TIG , or stick , or MIG? But to do MIG I would need to add a separate wire feeder? To do aluminum (MIG) - I would add a separate spool gun?

I like the versatility - if one unit will do MIG and TIG and stick - I could sell off my Miller EconoTIG and my HTP units and probably be halfway there to affording a new unit.

How easy is the setup? From reading the info on the Miller it seems relatively easy to setup for different jobs. The Miller has a spot timer ( something I have on the HTP that is great for doing body panel work on cars) etc.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #37  
jim_wilson said:
So help me understand the setup of the Lincoln Invertec 350 ....... The main unit is a power supply that can do TIG , or stick , or MIG? But to do MIG I would need to add a separate wire feeder? To do aluminum (MIG) - I would add a separate spool gun?

I like the versatility - if one unit will do MIG and TIG and stick - I could sell off my Miller EconoTIG and my HTP units and probably be halfway there to affording a new unit.

How easy is the setup? From reading the info on the Miller it seems relatively easy to setup for different jobs. The Miller has a spot timer ( something I have on the HTP that is great for doing body panel work on cars) etc.

Check out the new Miller Multimatic 200. 150 amp tig mig and stick in a 35 lb suitcase. They basically combined a Passport Plus with a Maxstar 150 STL. Aluminum with spool gun too. $2378 for full package.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #38  
Check out the new Miller Multimatic 200. 150 amp tig mig and stick in a 35 lb suitcase. They basically combined a Passport Plus with a Maxstar 150 STL. Aluminum with spool gun too. $2378 for full package.

Looks good - but I want something that can do thicker steel - and thicker aluminum. Plus - from what I'm reading the spray and pulse features really help to get good weld quality. Whatever I get - I may use it for some light production, and anything that helps me get a better quality weld is worth it to me.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #39  
jim_wilson said:
Looks good - but I want something that can do thicker steel - and thicker aluminum. Plus - from what I'm reading the spray and pulse features really help to get good weld quality. Whatever I get - I may use it for some light production, and anything that helps me get a better quality weld is worth it to me.

The Multimatic is not a production welder but it sure packs on a lot of features. And, 35 lbs! That's about 10% of what a 350p weighs.

/ Need TIG machine purchase advice #40  

Yes you need a separate wire feed, a spool gun, and a foot pedal for Tig work, now remember the V350-Pro is DC only. So if you want to do Tig aluminum you'll need a bottle of helium. Everything is plug and play, couldn't be easier!
Invertecョ V350-PRO Multi-Process Welder (Factory Model) Ready-Pakョ w/ LF-72 Wire Feeder

You might find a better price if you don't buy the package, take the Lincoln part numbers and search for them on this site. I bought the V350-Pro from these guys, but found a really good deal on the LF-72 wire feed on Craig's list.
https://weldingsupply.securesites.net/cgi-bin/browsecatalogs.pl?UNDEF::