Need timing instructions for jinma 354 with y485t engine

/ Need timing instructions for jinma 354 with y485t engine #1  

Tim Berframe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 354
I was pushing dirt with the bucket when I thought I heard a metallic click and the motor pitch changed slightly. I idled down and tried to determine if the motor was in fact knocking slightly. Then I noticed oil pouring out the front right side. Shut it down and saw that the timing gear case was split and the cover on it was also broke. Got it apart today and there was a chewed up bolt in the bottom of the case. It clearly jammed into the teeth of the sprocket driving the hydraulic pump breaking two off (no doubt the source of the increased vibration I felt). The race around the enclosed bearing and sprocket for the hydraulic pump drive shattered allowing the gear to contact the cover, showering aluminum flakes throughout before snapping the cover. I am missing 6 or 8 ball bearings that presumably went into the sump?

The cast iron case is broken straight across the end where the pump bolts on.

So, I will need to change the case, cover, hyd-pump drive gear assembly, gaskets, etc. I am guessing that the wayward bolt (about a 13mm head about 1" long) was one that holds the case to the engine block. I wont know until I remove it but to do that I need to remove all the gears. Before that, I want to know how to time them. I have spent 3 hours searching but haven't found anything. Does anyone have directions for timing this 4 cylinder Yangdong 485 engine?

The engine plate says :
name: 6YNDL2.04NWN No: Y60301204A

The only place Google hits that description is on a generator repair site where that name engine is crosslisted as a Y485T. I cannot find that number anywhere on the block or externals. The manuals I got new are for a 3 cylinder Y385T and the diagrams don't line up with what I have.

The tractor manual I have doesn't show the pump gear drive assembly anywhere.

I know some parts suppliers regularly give great advice on this and other forums. Anyone who can help gets some immediate parts orders. Anyone who can just help with timing of this diesel will get my gratitude.

Thanks in advance,

Tim in Alberta

/ Need timing instructions for jinma 354 with y485t engine #2  
The 485 is a 4-cylinder, 35 HP version of the 385 which is standard in the 254/284. Most 354's have the 395 engine, which is three cylinders of larger displacement. I have a 485 in my 354 and had the same experience, the dealer gave me a parts book for a 3-cylinder engine and said "it's almost the same."

My understanding is the only thing that needs to be timed is the fuel injection, that goes off of the cam shaft. If you're not removing the cam shaft that should be fine. The timing between the camshaft and the crankshaft is fixed, just look for the timing marks on the gears and line them up. The hydraulic pump isn't timed.

/ Need timing instructions for jinma 354 with y485t engine #3  

Attachments

• 4e7e07a6d72f1DSC00786.jpg
    4e7e07a6d72f1DSC00786.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 270