Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #11  
Bunch of the Dearborn stuff out there. People always want the flat shields that keep the plants from getting ran over. I agree that they can be hammered back , but I can not believe that a local scrap yard or tractor salvage yard would not have these available. And when your there you might find something else you did not know you needed.

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms
Thanks guys. I have some 1/2" milde steel plate that is around 8x10". I think I'll lay that on the ground (shock absorbsion) and see if I can straighten the spring.

Although I think it should be fine with grade 2, given that the tines will only run along the surface, what bolts would you use at the cap that holds the springs on?

Thanks

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #13  
Normal grade 5 is plenty and probably more than original. Go with that.
You might have a hard time swinging with something along the ground. Maybe try a big rock and pound against that. Just pound them sort-of flat but it will come out fine if you use a BIG hammer. The bigger the better and if you can swing a light sledge with one arm, do it. Wear goggles and keep us posted.

I was able to bend the inner cultivator spring relatively easily with an 8-lb sledge, with the spring on a 2x4. Thanks for the suggestions! However the outer spring must be a different metal, because I could not do a thing with it. I think I may gently push down on the bent area with tractor FEL.

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #15  
OK, maybe but be careful. Sure wish you had an anvil so put it on your bucket list.
Sometimes when you hit something and aren't holding it the energy transfers in some way and the metal just bounces. I usually wear a glove to hold it and whack it in on a flat anvil and flip it over a couple times. I can't recall one I couldn't straighten. It's sort of whatever works but be careful with the loader. There's a lot of force there and you don't want to overbend it. Maybe try to find a friend with an anvil.

These are rugged little harrows and I first used one to pull out big rocks in New England. I figured it would break so I beat the tar out of it with a 45 HP tractor and pulled huge rocks with lots of abuse and it never let me down. Not sure but I don't think I ever even bent it and later sold it for more than I paid.

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #17  
Such as this? Northern Industrial Cast Iron Anvil — 50-Lb. | Anvils| Northern Tool + Equipment I would think 15lb is too small and not sure if 60 is needed?

I guess it's not so much that I mind getting one, just doesn't seem like I'd have many uses for it. Then again, maybe I'd have more uses for it than I realize...

You can get by without one. but if you ever get one, an old and heavier used one is better. Some get auctioned at farm sales and are waaayyy heavier. I have two--a 125 lb, give or take, 100 year old one and a newer Harbor Freight 50 lb cast iron. I think the first one is cast steel and it's great. The HF can't hold a candle to the first and is too small and light.

You could also find an old piece of railroad track and mount it on a stump of log. Lots of guys do this and it works real well. Again, buy at an auction or maybe a scrapyard. Actually, that's a good plan "B" for now.

You can get by without one for your harrow tine but ask around and maybe an aquantance might have one. Could happen.

Thanks for all the replies! I did get the tines straightened. Time for another project!

This time around it's a 1-bottom plow. In its previous life it suffered a bit of wear (bends). I'm not sure how to fix these 3/8" thick brackets. hmmm. it also has a couple of 3/8" x 3" angle iron brackets that are bent, but those I can faily-easily reproduce from new angle iron.

Thanks

plow_bent_frame.png

Last edited:
   / Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #19  
Congrats...any photos of your success with the straightening of the tines? Are you going to paint the implement? Did you finally succeed by simple blunt force trauma or did you need something exotic? Pictures are always a good idea so we can revel in the moment.

Maybe start a new thread for the plow, although hammers and heat need little commentary. Twisted things are hard to un-twist with a real degree of satisfaction unless you have the right stuff. Start thinking acetylene, big adustable or pipe wrenches and prayer. True grit is a given.

/ Need to straighten 1/4" steel cultivator arms #20  
:thumbsup: A couple of HF cheap 24" adjustables with 6' extenders is the tool to have. Put the tractor tire on it to hold it down or use loader against a firm surface, cross the wrenches and have at it making small corrections til youre done. Then change ends and do it again. No heat or prayer necessary.
larry