Need Tractor But....

/ Need Tractor But.... #11  
Good advice on the sizing. Also...

<font color="blue"> my advice is to look into hydo, i love it </font>

I'm also a fan of HST. I was tractoring quite a bit over the weekend /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and was thinking again how much I like hydro over clutch. Unless you're doing serious row cropping, plowing, etc., I think that is the way to go.

Welcome to TBN!

/ Need Tractor But.... #12  
Re: ???

Duke, I did'nt price the 2910/7800/3130. I was interested in the B7500 and I got a good deal. McCoy's has two locations. I went to the New Paris location. I talked with Troy (owner son) initially and signed the deal with Don McCoy (Owner). The son was the one to quote me the price of $12,250 for the B7500 with 302 FEL, bucket hooks, and loaded wide R4 tires. That was the best price around and his father stood by it. Looked at his maintenance operation and I liked what I saw. Also, they said their shop rates are the cheapest around. I don't think you'll get a runaround from them. Just tell them you want the best deal upfront /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Good luck.

Ken

/ Need Tractor But.... #13  
You're close to describing my property... 10.75 acres with some hilly wooded and some level open, lots of blowdown and leaning junk trees in the woods.

I'll agree with what others have said, but add as follows. If you are going to clear the deadfall timber yourself (which is extremely dangerous work), get something that has some pulling power and stability. You will find some situations (example: leaners and blowdowns hung in other trees) where you will want to pull the tree (using a looong chain!) because felling it with a chain saw is just too risky.

So there is a tradeoff between size and maneuverability. Depending on how much of this you need to do, consider a logging winch attachment. Also, a backhoe is great for stump removal. Just remember... it's only money!

Also, some people have recommended starting out with a bigger, used tractor for some of this heavy work, if you don't mind turning a wrench once in a while to keep it running. Some of the used ag equipment can be less expensive. Then, trade out to a new compact when the ugly work is done and you can afford new.

Good luck!