Need tractor... head is spinning.

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #21  
Kubota has some good financing but they require you to 1*have insurance AND the dealer and/or finance company wants 500 for their trouble. So, ultimately,
2*I look at it like the "good" finance deal isn't really saving me anything.
3*Not sure if Massey will have some of the same issues with their financing.Thanks!
1*Every loan requires insurance no matter who makes the tractor .
2*Yea it most certainly is saving u a bundle. Don't believe it try paying insurance and finance charges both .
3*See 1*
Exactly. *A modern myth if there ever was one.
*There is no myth to it.

Lot's of good tractors out there to choose from. Before I bought my tractor I hired a guy to do some work at my place, he had a Kubota L3940, it's a nice machine.
3*One other thing I've seen is that Kubota does not seem to charge any more if you take advantage of their financial incentives. Some other manufacturers will charge you a fee to get 0% financing for example.
3*Correct.

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #22  
Worry that the Massey is made by iseki, and marketed by AGCO who also sells a rebaged "challenger" version to Catapiller. I looked at the catapillars by accident and was not impressed with the way they look. Noticed also that the new massey 1600 series is out and wonder who makes those tractors and if the same will hold true.
Talked with John Deere dealer and he said that the 4105 is all John Deere except for the engine which is yanmar. Originally thought the 4105 was natrually aspirated 4 cylinder (that's what the brochure I have says) but according to the website specs it's 3 cylinder turbo. I think I'd rather have the naturally aspirated engine.... oh well. Read about the JD4105 having a "standard hydro". What does this mean? How are the other hydros different and what am I going to be lacking with the JD?

Kubotas are a possibility but are 2000 and 2500 more than the other two brands. Kubota has some good financing but they require you to have insurance AND the dealer and/or finance company wants 500 for their trouble. So, ultimately, I look at it like the "good" finance deal isn't really saving me anything. Not sure if Massey will have some of the same issues with their financing.

Bobcat CT445 can be had for 1500 less than the Deere which is the least expensive, but I have to find my own financing. Bobcat is rebadged Kioti, it's a new venture for bobcat that concerns me somewhat.

So, after everything factored in, the massey is probably the best "deal" as far as pricing goes.

Anyone know how any of these tractors stack up for my applications and familiar with features that can help me sort through this?

Anything I'm missing that I need to consider?

Thanks!

I'm not going to tell you my Iseki built AGCO Challenger is better than a Deere or Kubota because they're not, but for the money I paid, it left me about $7,000 left to buy implements compared to similar used Deere models. One thing I constantly see is a guy buy a tractor and not have enough left for a complete set of implements.

Let me tell you something about Iseki-they know how to build pretty good tractors. They make a nice no frills tractor that gets the job done.

That Massey made by Iseki is pretty solid. ;) I use mine for harley raking, loading dirt, snowplowing and mowing. It's got a very nice cab with AC, tunes, etc. Could have a better seat, though.

/ Need tractor... head is spinning.
Builder-
The way I put the info about the Iseki/Massey/Challenger on here sounds a lot harsher than intended. Remember, I don't know squat about tractors. My point really was that the Iseki are being sold by multiple manufacturers and also that one of the manufacturers (Massey) is a branch of another company (Agco). Just seems like a lot of hands in the pot so to speak.
Complicating matters for me is the fact that I have a Case IH David Brown tractor (1975 ish) that I can't get parts for the engine/hydraulics, so it's got me a little gunshy of going with an engine (John Deere Included with the yanmar diesel in the case of the tractor I'm looking at) that is not made by the manufacturer of the tractor. When a tractor is not made by the manufacturer, that concerns me as well.
I was looking at the bobcats as well (and still may purchase one) but have the same concerns. If the price is right, I'd be foolish not to buy becuase it's a kioti and I can get service there if I need to. That being said, if it's the same price as the kioti, then I'd feel better about buying the real kioti just because who knows how long bobcat will carry it.
This all gets really complicated in a hurry.
Thing is, the JD dealer is right around the corner from me so it probably makes sense to deal with them. But, not as good financing arrangements and it's a yanmar..... round and round we go.
Again, not pinging on your Challenger, or anyone elses tractor, no matter what the brand. Everyone makes decisions for a reason and we all take our best stab at the right thing to do at x time.

What do you see as the biggest differences between the Iseki's and the Kubotas or Deeres, for the same type tractor? I know it's not a feature thing becuase the Iseki/Challenger/Massey, have more feautures than the deere I'm looking at. So where is the difference?

Any idea as to how much less I can expect to pay for a challenger than a comparably equipped Kubota?

The Massey was priced the same as the the deere and seemed very similar except for a few features (right down to the 3 cylinder turbo).

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #24  
Besides comparing all the features that each tractor has, you really need to put your butt in each seat and get a feel for all of the controls. I know that this may not seem like a big deal, and it may not be for you, (sort of depends how many hours you think that you may be in the seat at a time) but what good does it do to find a tractor that has everything that you want, but everything is in an uncomfortable place for you.
Again, it might not be a big deal to you, but I think that you are way better off with a tractor that you are comfortable on rather than fighting the thing all day long. Every wonder why some people are worn out after being on their tractor all day and others are not? It has to help to have controls where they are in a natural position for you to use, and what works for one guy does not always work for another.
Good luck with your purchase, and maybe you should look at all makes that are in the range that you care to travel to consider. Most of today's tractors are very well built.

Just a few more things to ponder.;)

Mtn view-
I agree. Nothing is out of the question. Funny that I haven't even sat on any of the tractors I'm researching.
Part of the problem is unfamiliarity. I'm not certain I'll know the difference once I sit on one. Yes, I've driven tractors in the past (have a 1975 Case in pieces in the yard ha ha, but it was a very basic tractor.... which I do not have a problem with.
The tractors I'm looking at have hydro 4wd and fel all kinds of fancy electronics etc etc. So this is kind of an exercise in getting familiar I suppose.
I think I'd be perfectly happy with a bare bones tractor. Only problem is I'm gonna be doing a lot of Front end loader work which complicates things with four wheel drive, and hydrostatic drive.

Regardless, I get your point. I'm going looking again tomorrow and I intend to sit on them this time (har har).

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #26  
They did raise my homeowners insurance a few bucks a year to cover my tractor. I can't remember exactly how much, but it was a minimal difference from what I was already paying.

That is cool, wasn't arguing that homeowners insurance was always an expsnive jump for when you get a tractor.
Just positing that sometimes they really zap you and because of this you should consider various ins, options beyond just putting on homeowner's

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #27  
e.myers,
I don't see any NH blue in your list of possabilities. Is there no dealer in your area or do you just have no interest in the blue brand ?

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #28  
Builder-
The way I put the info about the Iseki/Massey/Challenger on here sounds a lot harsher than intended. Remember, I don't know squat about tractors. My point really was that the Iseki are being sold by multiple manufacturers and also that one of the manufacturers (Massey) is a branch of another company (Agco). Just seems like a lot of hands in the pot so to speak.
Complicating matters for me is the fact that I have a Case IH David Brown tractor (1975 ish) that I can't get parts for the engine/hydraulics, so it's got me a little gunshy of going with an engine (John Deere Included with the yanmar diesel in the case of the tractor I'm looking at) that is not made by the manufacturer of the tractor. When a tractor is not made by the manufacturer, that concerns me as well.
I was looking at the bobcats as well (and still may purchase one) but have the same concerns. If the price is right, I'd be foolish not to buy becuase it's a kioti and I can get service there if I need to. That being said, if it's the same price as the kioti, then I'd feel better about buying the real kioti just because who knows how long bobcat will carry it.
This all gets really complicated in a hurry.
Thing is, the JD dealer is right around the corner from me so it probably makes sense to deal with them. But, not as good financing arrangements and it's a yanmar..... round and round we go.
Again, not pinging on your Challenger, or anyone elses tractor, no matter what the brand. Everyone makes decisions for a reason and we all take our best stab at the right thing to do at x time.

What do you see as the biggest differences between the Iseki's and the Kubotas or Deeres, for the same type tractor? I know it's not a feature thing becuase the Iseki/Challenger/Massey, have more feautures than the deere I'm looking at. So where is the difference?

Any idea as to how much less I can expect to pay for a challenger than a comparably equipped Kubota?

The Massey was priced the same as the the deere and seemed very similar except for a few features (right down to the 3 cylinder turbo).

First, let me say, you are asking all the right questions and being very smart going about buying your tractor the way you are. The best thing you have going for you is you have no brand loyalty. Forget who makes the tractor and buy the one you like best in your price range.

I had to buy a 2 yr old used tractor. Got the one in the photo above for a steal for only having 550 hours on it. I like buying clean used equipment as long as it's not Chinese in which case I will not buy at all.

I agree with you about Kubota. The practically make the entire tractor and I like that, too. I've had 3 past Kubotas (245DT, L-35, L-39) all were excellent. When I bought my '05 Challenger, I was trying to negotiate a deal on a Kubota M-4900 with a cab. It was an awesome tractor and I wanted it. The problem was, I had a budget I couldn't exceed, and the seller and I couldn't come to terms.

However, you shouldn't let the fact that your tractor was made by outsourcing to other companies bother you. Deere is far and away the biggest and outsources a lot. Look at it this way: My Challenger is the same as the Massey or AGCO versions, so even though the 200 series is no longer made, I'm thankfull the Massey/AGCO versions are still made so I can get parts for many many years after parts start to disappear for Challenger 200 series..

Are you capped by a budget? If not, I'd lean towards Kubota or Deere based on their excellence in engineering and soundness as industry leading companies. Especially since you like your tractor being made mostly by the manufacturer. However, if you read more about tractors, you'll find that subcontracting is the way most are built these days. Don't let that worry you too much.

If there's a trustworthy dealer in your area that wants your busines, that would play a big role in my decision, too.

Mark-
New Hollands a little further for me so that's the primary reason. That being said, I am going over to a Case/Kubota/Something else dealer tomorrow to take a look. I'm under the impression that Case and New Holland are the same.... correct?

Builder-
I'm hearing you. Really looks like it's going to come down to price and financing terms for me. Massey has the best terms, with Kubota 2nd. We'll see.

/ Need tractor... head is spinning. #30  
Mark-
New Hollands a little further for me so that's the primary reason. That being said, I am going over to a Case/Kubota/Something else dealer tomorrow to take a look. I'm under the impression that Case and New Holland are the same.... correct?

Builder-
I'm hearing you. Really looks like it's going to come down to price and financing terms for me. Massey has the best terms, with Kubota 2nd. We'll see.

If it's only a few bucks, then I'd go Kubota unless in a head to head competition, the Massey is noticeably better. The way I look at it, Kubota's primary business is small compact tractors 25-100HP. Massey is the choice in the 100-400 range. Also, like you said, massey is having a subcontractor build tractors for them just to have a "presence" in the under 60HP range. Not to say there's anything wrong with them, heck I own a Challenger variant and it's pretty good, but it's not quite a Kubota.

Don't sell yourself short for a few hundered to $1,000 bucks. If we're talking thousands, then maybe you go to another brand.