Tractor Sizing Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #11  
My situation is very similar to yours.

Another point that Gary brings up ... unless you have a state of the art equestrian barn or a VERY large old barn, you will not be able to muck stalls with a 30hp tractor.

Barn configurations are key here.

A good horse stall is a least 12x12. Even getting a small boomer class (NH18) through and interior stall door would be difficult.

Some nicer barns that have indoor AND outdoor stall doors (where the latter can be opened directly into a runout or small paddock attached to the barn itself) can solve the tractor-loader-as-mucker problem very nicely. Unfortunately for me, my 160 yo english barn doesn't fit that bill at all.

Most horse owners I've seen usually muck with wheel barrels, construct a ramp to a spreader for same (as near to the barn as possible obviously), and turn the spreader loose when it gets full. This assumes you have or will have both a spreader and the acreage to spread over.

I've said this countless times though, if you are planning on finish mowing around your buildings with a 35hp compact utility tractor, you will be sorely dissappointed. I like my lawns and would never put more than 25hp on em (associating HP to weight here). In season, I finish mow 3 acres once a week with an 18hp heavy duty JD machine dedicated to this and other garden type chores. I also use it to finish mow another 3 acre field 6 times during summer months. If my finish lawns were flatter and smoother, no question I'd have a Zero turn machine. Nothing beats them for speed and cut quality.

A lot of folks here on TBN (more power to em I guess) love machines and tractors and would have Caterpillar 3 belly earthmovers on their 1.4 acres if they could afford it. Is it sensible? naw Is it frugal? naw. Is it any of my business? naw UNLESS they start recommending the same for less experienced people here seeking sensible, frugal and sage information. You will encounter some of those here also. Be prepared to watch a size and color campaign break out, if not in your thread, well, pick a topic! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #12  
I'll echo some of the comments on barn mucking, having done my share over the years. My experience has been by cart/wheelbarrow, manure fork and shovel.

Were I to improve on that, depending, of course, on how many stalls you're talking about and how often you pick, I'd want to be able to load a trailer, truck, wagon, or spreader directly from the stall (i.e., in the center aisle). Second priority would be a side dump bucket, blower, or some other tool to put fresh chips or sawdust into the stalls. I don't know what's available in that regard if you use straw for bedding.

Personally, given the descriptions of the property and needs, I think you're talking about more than one tractor (and/or other approaches like a dedicated mower). Lots of people like the sub-CUTs for use in and around horse barns. Aside from pulling things and loader use, you can get a rotary harrow, mounted manure rake, and even a powered broom (beats sweeping a larger barn) - all in a package that will get though misc. gates, doors, and into nooks and crannies the larger tractors can't touch. Won't intimidate the horses as much as a large tractor either. You could scare the bejeezus out of some horses driving a 35 HP tractor down the aisle.

Bill

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew
My thoughts on using the tractor to help with the barn mucking was to be able to drive it down the center isle and either fill the FEL bucket or a wagon/spreader towed behind and then go dump in our manure holding pit, or spread it on the pasture. During the summer months the barn doesn't get much use, it's only during feeding season that mucking is a real chore.

Our horses don't seem to mind tractors too much. Actually it's sometimes hard to get them out of the way, and to keep them out of the barn when we are cleaning.

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #16  
You'll find it's most convenient to still use a muck bucket or medium-size Rubbermaid can when in the stall, and then empty it. Walking back and forth to the stall door with every forkfull isn't productive. Unless you can rig a handy conveyor or vacuum! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your horses don't mind the larger tractor and you've got the room in the barn for it, by all means use it. The real benefit to size comes into play when you're stripping the stalls, though, not daily cleaning.

Bill

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #17  
Indoor Horses? what a concept!

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew #18  
One thing, don't disregard tractor size (weight & demensions) & only look at HP. For example, there is a big difference between a New Holland TC24 & a TC25 (which is discontinued) with respect to weight & demension. Other lines have similar HP units along totally different product lines (ie Kubota B2910 & L3010 > I think). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
More weight may not be better for mowing but could help with the driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is my opinion (from NH perspective): /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
For your mowing & barn work: TC24
For brushhogging & drive: TC35 - TC40 - TC45
Good compromise (in my "unbiased" opinion /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif): TC33DA

I have a TC33D that I really needed for intitial land clearing & levelling, & probably could have used a TC40, but now would probably be happier with the TC24 for 3 acres of mowing & 400' driveway. I don't think that I'd want to mow with a TC35 or larger -though I never have. The TC33 works well with a 6' mower, 5' brushhog, 6' rear blade, 6' rake, & 56" box blade.

I refer to NH units since that is what I'm most familar with.

/ Need Tractor Size Recomendations from the TBN Crew
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Indoor Horses? what a concept! )</font>

Huh?