Need Tranny Swap Info

/ Need Tranny Swap Info
ok cooling is new aluminum lines to a 7.5x12.5 aluminum cooler mounted vertical(3loops). The cooler is mounted 3.5 inches in front of the radiator, the rad and cooler are seperated by one of the two cooling fans, I liberated from a saab turbo. The rad cooler side fan is set for 190 degree turn-on and the second fan starts at 210 degrees. Fan shroud was redesigned and sealed around the mechanical clutch fan. I cannot swear to the temperatures since the truck still has dummy gauges and no gauge for measuring tranny temps.

The rear axle tag reads 4.1 so I'm assuming 4.10 or 4.11(by counting rotation it is 4.11) and the tires are 31x10.5x16.5 bfg's.

So far I'm getting the opinion that this should not be happening and I should ditch this builder to take it to the guy who built my jeep tranny.

Another option is to get it fixed and just use it as my dump truck. A friend just called and said he found a 1982 chevy 1ton with a 6.2 litre diesel, 4 speed with granny for $1500.

Does anyone know about the 1982 chevy diesels? strengths and weaknesses?

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #12  
RE: the '82 chevy diesel....Save your $1500.00 and put it toward a trans repair in your dodge...I'm sure I'll get some grief over this but the 6.2 diesel in the 20 year old chevy will be no bargain....the 80's US..built vehicles were some of the worst built (quality wise) our country ever built. That's why the japanese based car companies have the market share they have today........ A bright spot... Ford took the international diesel and adopted it into their pickups.....Dodge went with cummins.............Both proven performers in the big truck world .. I don't know what they were thinking at GM (playing catch up maybe?).......Chevy/GMC started with the converted gas olds motor (5.7), then the 6.2, replaced later with the 6.5 and now the duramax (Isuzu).... Current feedback on the duramax.....They may have finally got it right......No I don't hate chevys...I have 4 vintage ones in my stable...But my daily driver is a cummins powered dodge( my 2nd dodge with a cummins) and I use it hard and It's the best pickup I've ever owned....Find a tranny shop that will listen to you and tell them what you've gone through already.....A good shop will guarentee their work ............TOM

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #15  
Re: 727 or 900

I'm not sure how to tell. I talked to my Dad yesterday; he has worked in Mopar parts since '68. He said the factory never put anything but a 727 behind a big block.

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #16  
I would look at another builder. The first time it went, maybe it was something wrong with the case or something. You never know about a recycle tranny. Maybe it came out of a car or truck that had been in an accident, and the impact detrimentily(sp) affected the case.

What bothers me is this is the second failure on the second case. AND... the builder charged you for the additional work. They should have warranteed thier work; you have hardly any miles on the unit, in a relatively short period of time. The shop should have picked up the tab for all this additional work.

Your running a dually with 4.11's; the work you described isn't that hard for a truck like that.

I would seriously look at finding another shop. I'd also look over your paperwork for what, if any warranty that shop had; a decent shop will warranty thier work. You might also search out some of the Mopar web sites and post the same question. They may have some info on reputable shops.

Put the money in the Dodge. That Chevy is $1500 for a reason. Those Chevy diesels were not very good. I do have friends with an '82 Blazer and another with I think an '84 3/4t-4x4. Both have 125k+ miles, but both have had too much engine work done. The truck is solid, but the motor is not...

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #17  
Since you seem to have problems finding a decent transmission rebuilder that'll stand behind his work, you might want to check out a remanufactured transmission from your local Chrysler/Dodge dealer.

That option might be more expensive up-front ($1800-$2500 installed?, depending upon which model transmission, whether it has overdrive, etc), but the transmission will come with a 3-year 36,000 mile warranty that is good nationwide at Mopar dealerships. Sounds like you would've already been money ahead if you had've gone this route.

I went to a local auto repair shop that I use a lot and who also handles the over-flow jobs from the local Dodge dealer. He bought the transmission from the Dodge dealer (at wholesale?) and the "installed - out the door" price was only slightly more than the dealer's price for the transmission by itself, and I still got the full warranty. I have actually replaced two transmissions using the Mopar remanufactured units: A 1992 Dakota V-8 4x4 with 110,000 miles (about $2500?) which I use to tow my tractor/trailer/equipment, and a 1990 Grand Caravan with over 170,000 miles (about $2000). In both cases, the vehicles were in pretty good condition otherwise and the transmission replacement cost was cheaper than the Tax-Title-Liscense (TTL) would've been on a new vehicle.

Side Note: I believe that ALL of the big-3 offer these remanufactured units. About the same price as the major transmission rebuild shops, but with a MUCH better warranty.

Kelvin

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #18  
<font color=blue>...I have actually replaced two transmissions using the Mopar remanufactured units: A 1992 Dakota V-8 4x4 with 110,000 miles (about $2500?) which I use to tow my tractor/trailer/equipment, and a 1990 Grand Caravan with over 170,000 miles (about $2000)...</font color=blue>

Hi Kelvin,

I don't want you to take this wrong, but the repair costs vs. age/mileage of above vehicles are not cost effective in my area...

In other words, after the repairs... those vehicles would sell considerably lower than the repair cost itself... if not being scrap value with the excessive high mileage... (unfortunately no matter how great the vehicle may look) /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #19  
No offense taken. I understand where you are coming from.

One certainly has to consider both (1) the vehicle's value and (2) the vehicle's usefulness when evaluating whether to put that much money into the vehicle. I am under the impression that in the original post, the guy was pleased with his dually truck if only he could get a decent transmission. In his case, I believe that both the vehicle value and vehicle function justifies a $2500 transmission. In my case, the Caravan's value certainly doesn't justify the cost, but my wife likes the old vehicle and wanted to keep it since I bought it for her new. It makes a descent "spare" vehicle.

If I had decided to dump my two vehicles, then I would have basically had to give them away and purchase a new vehicle or nearly-new vehicle (depending upon what I could pay cash for). The '90 Caravan was the last vehicle that I had payments on and I don't ever plan to finance any other vehicle if I have a choice.

Kelvin

/ Need Tranny Swap Info #20  
I just got the Febuary issue of Car Craft magazine and they have a mopar trans I.D. guide article in it. They go into a lot of detail on the weak points of these transmissions. That is for ewoss3. Franz, they have the pan gasket guide and also a bell housing guide so you can tell whether those transmissions you have are for a small block or a big block. I'll bet they're for a small block, they'd have to have laid around for a long time to be for a big block. I used to work on Louisiana State Police cars back in '84 and they had 727s behind the 318s, I bet that's what you have.