Need two batteries to start JD LT 166

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #1  

70 plus

Tractor
Kubota B3200, JD LT 166, JD 110
For some reason my JD LT 166 will not start with just one 12 V battery. The battery I'm using is fully charged with about 13 V showing on the multimeter. If I add another 12 V battery also in excess of 12 V the engine will start. I replaced the solenoid last year. Any suggestions?

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #2  
Do you have a battery that has enough cranking amps for your tractor?

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #3  
Check the valve gaps. If they are too loose the BS motor can not relieve compression for starting.

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #4  
But what is battery voltage during cranking process, if battery voltage drops to below 9-10 volt during cranking, battery has no capacity for cranking and should be replaced.... Both my JD lawn tractors start with the cheapest "U1" group battery (because locally only cheap 6 month warrantee batteries is all that is available)

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #5  
For some reason my JD LT 166 will not start with just one 12 V battery. The battery I'm using is fully charged with about 13 V showing on the multimeter. If I add another 12 V battery also in excess of 12 V the engine will start. I replaced the solenoid last year. Any suggestions?

It shouldn’t be at 13v when it’s not charging; max should be 12.6v. Might be bad.

See if it will start with just that second battery as the only one connected (assuming it is a good battery).

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #6  
Check the valve gaps. If they are too loose the BS motor can not relieve compression for starting.
Loose valve gaps are very common on the Briggs single cylinder OHV engines as well as the broken compression release on the camshaft. Everybody will look at the battery, starter, solenoid as being bad but they are incorrect.

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166
But what is battery voltage during cranking process, if battery voltage drops to below 9-10 volt during cranking, battery has no capacity for cranking and should be replaced.... Both my JD lawn tractors start with the cheapest "U1" group battery (because locally only cheap 6 month warrantee batteries is all that is available)
I will check that out thanks.

It shouldn’t be at 13v when it’s not charging; max should be 12.6v. Might be bad.

See if it will start with just that second battery as the only one connected (assuming it is a good battery).
It is 13.8v without the ignition on just the multimeter connected.

/ Need two batteries to start JD LT 166 #9  
It is 13.8v without the ignition on just the multimeter connected.
get a new meter, 13.8 is incredibly high for a at rest battery

get a new meter, 13.8 is incredibly high for a at rest battery
The meter registers 12.4v on my other three 12v batteries. Would the meter not work on the one battery?