Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much??

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #1  

Reaney in NH

Tractor
John Deere 420 Backhoe
I've been looking at TRactors for awhile. Looking in the Compact 20-30hp Range with a FEL.
In dealing with name brands... How much off of list is a reasonable expectation? I different dealers will ask different prices... but around here most quote list... I want to know if I can deal or expect to deal... Like I would on a car.
Thanks for the help
Reaney in NH

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #2  
A ball park figure would be 10 to 14 percent.

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #3  
Go ahead and deal, the worst that could happen is the dealer says 'no'. There's no harm in trying...

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #4  
If you compare pricing nationally, you'll find we seem to pay a bit more in New England.

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #5  
I purchased my setup new about a month ago. I paid 13% less than the prices shown on the Deere website for a JD 2320 (which is in your HP range), a 62" mower deck, a FEL, and a front blade.

The dealer knew I was a serious buyer and it was not terribly hard to get to 13% off. Mine was a cash deal.

Joe

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much??
Thanks for the info guys...

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #7  
I think you will safely get a tractor for 10% under MSRP. Some people push it further. I'd rather not have the stress.

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #8  
Check with your John Deere dealer and ask what association mebers get discounts. In Canada John Deere give members of certain horse associations a 25% discount. Find the organization, become a member and get your discount.

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #9  
Reaney in NH said:
I've been looking at TRactors for awhile. Looking in the Compact 20-30hp Range with a FEL.
In dealing with name brands... How much off of list is a reasonable expectation? I different dealers will ask different prices... but around here most quote list... I want to know if I can deal or expect to deal... Like I would on a car.
Thanks for the help
Reaney in NH

It depends somewhat on how much inventory the dealer is carrying right now and how motivated he is to move it off his lot. I bought my 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket) when the dealer had a bunch of 05 models in stock and needed to make room for 2006 models. Paid $12,600 and probably which is about $1K off list price, IIRC.

/ Negotiating for a new Tractor... How much?? #10  
Of the 3 Tier 1 brands (Kubota, JD and New Holland), Kubota's seem to have a lower "msrp" to begin with. I just went through the buying process about two months ago.

I could have bought a BX2350, FEL and 60MMM Deck or JD 2305, FEL 62MMM Deck or New Holland TZ25DA, FEL and 60MMM for all within $1000 of each other.

As it played out I personally choose the New Holland because I liked it's ergonomics better, seemed to me to be built better and at the time 0% for 60 months. I know I would have been happy with anyone of them.

Chappell Tractor in Milford NH has both Kubota and New Holland. I found them extremely easy to deal with and they have a very good reputation for service.

Regarding a certain % off to shoot for; shop around. Just like when buying a new car it's supply and demand. Of the three local Kubota dealers the prices I was quoted was within $200. It's been said that the New England area has higher prices but I don't see why you can't get a 23-25HP tractor with FEL and MMM in the $12300 to $13800 range. Although unlike buying a car; if your older than 45; this WILL be the last tractor you buy.....

Good luck shopping!!