Neighbor asks: AgraCat or Shibaura?

/ Neighbor asks: AgraCat or Shibaura? #1  

ruready1

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hello,
The neighbor is in a similar situation as us - needs a tractor, wants a CUT, lacks cash to buy new. I sent him to this site and some classifieds/auction sites. He's come back asking about two very different tractors. I have to admit, I thought it was a no-brainer until I did some research. Now, I know it's beyond my knowledge level.

Here's his question: given a choice, which would you choose/recommend? The first tractor is a 2001 AgraCat 250 with 150hrs, paint fair (been sitting out), runs great (supposedly). The other tractor is a Shibaura SD1803, year unknown, 1500hrs roughly, looks great (refurb?), also (supposedly) runs good. Both tractors are diesel & 2WD (he lives in the valley, NO hills. Grrrrr :rolleyes: ) and would be used to mow and do light grading.

At first I thought it was a simple choice: Chinese vs. Japanese? Chinese tractors seem to be good little units, and that's what we'll probably end up with, but against Japanese engineering, metalurgy, etc? Then, I found out that Shibaura parts and service can be hard to secure. So what would you recommend? Go with the AgraCat (Jinma) with lower hours and better parts availability (again, Jinma parts) OR the Shibaura with higher hours, refurbed in the hopes that with the higher quality the parts scarcity won't be an issue?

The tractors would be used in Southern Indiana (cold winters), so cold starts are important. I know the Ford/Shibaura 2cyl tractors were extremely cold natured according to local dealers and owners. Are the later 3cyl units better?

Thanks all!
Mike

/ Neighbor asks: AgraCat or Shibaura?
Anyone? Did he stump everyone here too?

/ Neighbor asks: AgraCat or Shibaura? #3  
This is sort of an apples/oranges thing and the comparison between gray market and Chinese tractors continues on, probably remainaing a matter of personal opinion forever. I have not sold gray market tractors, I have and do sell some Jinma and KAMA tractors, and new Kioti and Farmtracs. I would agree that parts availablility for the Jinma will possibly be better. I have not seen the agracat version, but I suspect it is a 2 cylinder engine same as the original 20HP farm Pro unit. This 2 cylinder engine is no longer in production. I don't know about Shibaura's engine, but TY290 parts used by the Jinma do continue to be available. How long is anyones guess. Also, there have been many quality improvements on the JInmas over the last several years. The Jinma will likely be a more capable tractor if ground engaging (disking, plowing etc) work and will be heavier than a Japanese unit of similar HP. The Jinma/agracat will have sliding gear tranmsission, the Shibaura may or may not. Shibaura made (makes) tractors for Ford and New Holland. After all this I will say to tell him to drive both, and get the one he likes.