Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #11  
I was working cows for a gentleman today and he told me he was selling out. I asked him what he was going to sell and he said everything. He has a 2 bottom plow that he priced for $155. Its a Ferguson model 14 (A or B) It is in good condition but has been setting out for years. I feel the plows would need to be replaced because one is broken. Can you still get plows for these? What would be the cost to replace both? Is this a good model? thanks

Here's my $200 JD 2-14 plow that I bought off craigslist a few years ago. The plowshares and coulters are in pretty good shape.

DSCF0120 (Small).JPG

DSCF0121 (Small).JPG

The 3pt hitch on this particular plow was shot--wouldn't hold an adjustment. So I had to weld up a replacement hitch.

DSCF0075 (Small).JPG

DSCF0076 (Small).JPG

Check that plow you're eyeballing carefully--you may run into a similar problem.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #12  
Are there any 2 and 3 bottom plows being produced today that have the same quality of these old plows?

The only ones I have seen are the Leinbach plows. They can be seen at Everything Attachments - Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, Farm Tractor Implements.. The two bottom 14" (without coulters) costs $800 and looks decent, but certainly not as heavy duty as some old plows. You can also shop used plows at Sweet Farm Equipment Co.,Disc Mowers, Compact Tractors,Implements, Ship Nationwide Daily. They have many old plows listed including photos.

Still, avoid one that doesn't have trip protection, unless your soil has no rocks or roots. You should be able to find a good used two bottom for $400 or 500, which would be much superior to the new Leinbach version. In buying used, stick with a major brand (Ford, Massey, Deere, Oliver) make sure the bottoms sit at the same angle (as in the frame is not bent), preferably one with decent moldboards and landsides. Also make sure the frogs (the part all the wear parts bolt to) are not worn. If a plow is used too long without replacing the shares and shins, the frog will start to engage the soil and wear. If it has major wear, the plow is not worth buying. If the shares and shins are badly worn but all else is good, no problem. They are relatively cheap and can easily be replaced (if the parts are available, and usually they are for a Ford or Deere). Grind off the old nuts with a side grinder, and simply bolt on new parts. Takes about an hour. If you have to replace moldboards, they are over $100 each. And landsides seem almost impossible to find for older plows and they are not cheap either.

Good luck. If you can submit pictures of that old plow, we could better advise you. Take close ups of the bottoms.

/ Neighbor has a 2 bottom plow for sale #13  
Here's a couple of Dearborn plows that I have...the "red" one in the the back is a 2 bottom 10-8 that I restored. I've used it a couple of times to do a small garden...yeah, its for sale. BobG in VA

Attachments

• plow4.JPG
    plow4.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 3,628