Neighbor Tractor Accident

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #11  
We may not hear the final result in regards to the tractor. I think it has much more damage than just putting the front axle back under it. Looks like a really nice tractor......

In regards to the accident, upon further study, the truck hit him in the right front wheel. This indicates the truck coming toward the tractor from it's right side. Neighbor drove across the highway and into the path of the truck. Maybe truck driver tried to swerve right and miss him?? Probably hoping at the last second that the operator would see him and dodge.

Bad deal. Horrible timing. How many times have we averted an accident simply because the timing was better? :ashamed:

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident
It was out on an asphalt highway. You can see bits of the semi in the third picture beyond the tractor. Semi was a Dorito's truck stocking up all the stores and filling stations with Doritos prior to the New Year's parties. Driver had finished deliveries up north and was heading south back towards the Iron Range when my neighbor pulled out in front. Fortunately the truck was driving well below the speed limit because nobody likes to end up in the ditch in this cold weather. It was about -22F at the time. Note the frost on this fawn's nose. I don't usually feed the critters that lay waste to my crops but even I feel for them in this real cold spell so they are getting some of my grain for an energy boost. 20171231_161443 (Medium).jpg

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #13  
I am a delivery driver (NAPA) and we do get rushed sometimes. There is that pressure since people want their crap ASAP. No excuses though, we all have to be more careful. I try and have that attitude that it get there when it gets there......There are times however when I screw up and try and make up time. I will try to remember this post when that happens next time.
Glad no one was hurt.

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #14  
I agree poncho. That's the value I see in this thread also. Doesn't matter who was to blame. Just needs to reinforce to us that if we aren't paying attention, at the incorrect time, this is the result.

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident
Accident was Friday afternoon. Dealer's truck (dealer is 150 miles away) was there at 11 the next morning. They used his other loader tractor to lift the front end and winch to pull the tractor onto the truck. So it is back at the dealer's and we'll know by the end of the week how badly it's damaged.

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #16  
That will buff right out, no problem.

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #17  
Most accidents are an almost uncanny series of screw ups. If windows were frosted up, then it's quite clear, you don't proceed. But I understand. Sometimes when my truck windows are frosted in the yard, I proceed, assuming that no one has showed up.

Or making a left at an intersection with an opposing truck blocking your view. Sometimes the betting man in you, just wants to go for it.

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #18  
Yep. And not taking sides. Wonder how many times the neighbor has entered the highway from that gateway in the last umpteen decades???

My elderly neighbors are both gone now. Both died in their 90s. The last 3-4 years I worried about Wayne constantly. He stored his big bales about 1/2 mile from the lot he wintered cattle in. Every day he hauled 2-4 bales on a paved hiway from that hay lot to the wintering lot. Always drove his JD4240 at half throttle, going maybe 14mph. All the locals knew to look out for him. The occasional OTR trucker that came thru was at the mercy of the untimely mistake that he might make.

Now I'm the old man in my area for 3 miles around me. I wonder if the young guys worry about me?

The Grandson of my elderly neighbor lives there now. In sight of my place. I'm sure he keeps an eye on me just like I did his Grandpa Wayne. :)

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #19  
[snip] Note the frost on this fawn's nose. I don't usually feed the critters that lay waste to my crops but even I feel for them in this real cold spell so they are getting some of my grain for an energy boost. View attachment 534146

You're a good man. :thumbsup:

/ Neighbor Tractor Accident #20  
Just thinking about tractors on the road bugs me. You don't know what they are going to do. Are they going down the road ten mile, or turning? Right or Left? Do I try and pass or not?

It's not like a semi, with proper turn signals. And mirrors where you know they can see you. It's all so very dangerous. And some that think an old faded SMV sign is all they need because that is all the law in Ontario says you need in daylight.

Much larger equipment is on the road more and more, plus whereas many smaller units used to take to the shoulder so traffic could pass, few do that anymore for legality or safety reasons.