never owned a tractor need help

/ never owned a tractor need help #11  
I would recommend the R-4's, they get good traction, and when the ground is muddy or soft they won't leave

I couldn't resist:laughing: but that is how I personally feel about r4's.

And you should't be "slinging" mud anyway. If you are slinging with R4's you are probabally stuck, and R1's would just walk right through without getting stuck.

As far as the tractors go, the B3300 and the L's you mentioned are pretty close in capabilities. The L is slightly better all around. A little better loader performance, larger tires and heavier means more pulling power, more PTO HP on the 3700 means you could get a little bigger tiller and handle a 5' bush hog a little better. Either will do exactally what you want, the L may get it done jsut a little faster.

And the L is not to big as to trailer. Tractor + FEL+loaded tires+ implement will still be under 5k, so trailering will be no prob.

If I recall correctly, there isnt much of a price gap between the B3300 and the L3700 either. The B has a few more features but the L has the edge in performance. I would say go and test both of these. Go with the on you feel the most comfortable on.

/ never owned a tractor need help #12  
Personally I would go for the L sized tractor. Your woods could be different (the hunting club) than mine but around here there are wet spots that after a couple of trips through it would be too much for a B forcing you to make a bunch of different paths. Also if there's things you'll need to drive over, like rocks, ledge, branches, etc the added clearance would also be of help.

I went with the R1 tires because everyone I know who had a tractor in this size range had R4s and the mud around here turns the tires into racing slicks so they run chains. Chains are real hard on roots. The R1s give you better traction but are not as resistant to flats.

But land around me is most likely different than yours.

/ never owned a tractor need help #13  
Personally I would go for the L sized tractor. Your woods could be different (the hunting club) than mine but around here there are wet spots that after a couple of trips through it would be too much for a B forcing you to make a bunch of different paths. Also if there's things you'll need to drive over, like rocks, ledge, branches, etc the added clearance would also be of help.

I went with the R1 tires because everyone I know who had a tractor in this size range had R4s and the mud around here turns the tires into racing slicks so they run chains. Chains are real hard on roots. The R1s give you better traction but are not as resistant to flats.

But land around me is most likely different than yours.

Good advice there. I own one tractor with ag tires and one with R4's and I've operated tractors with turf tires. The R4's are a good compromise between ag tires and turf tires, but for traction in deep mud I've found ag tires to be the best... YMMV.

Crazyal also makes a good point about the R4's being resistant to flats. If you operate in woods with a lot of thorn trees that can be plus.