Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #621  
how much should the average person keep?

look at the mormons.

1yr stored food for their entire family.

good for them.

looking at what happens with storms and other disasters.. i'd have to guess most families are 72 hours away from starvation with what they have on hand.

certaintly in a disaster your corner walmart, without restock, is going to be threadbare of 'commodity' and 'essentials' in about 3 days.. and the really good stuff will be gone in 18 hours.

inner cities and any places of HIGH population density will always be hit the hardest. they rely upon constant incomming shipments to restock. the more rural you get.. the more sufficient many people become. the guy that has to drive 2 hopurs out of the boonies to hit a store? you can bet he has 2-8 weeks of dry goods on hand.. and a maximum shelf life supply of perishables on him when he does come home from that trip.

i keep enough stuff of dry goods to last me a couple months if I manage it.. and ammo.. well.. i got some.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #622  
Had to come visit the in-laws in louisville Kentucky and went by the big Bass Pro shop across the line in Indiana and they prolly had 10 pistols for sale in that big gun case. Had very few rounds of ammo. The most rifle rounds they had was .270.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #623  
extreme fear and panic.

My guess is the average joe that owns a gun has maybee 1 box or NO ammo stored and they grab a box of shells when they go to the range or hunting. Might have 1 fiull mag for the gun at home maybee.

then this shortage hit.. and they panic'd and are now trying to buy up a stash like many of us had, in NON hoard fashion. IE.. just buy a box here or there till we have 'enough' etc. spread 'enough' out over a few decades.. and it's no prob. try to make that up in 3 m and no ammo in the us stays ont he shelf more than a hour..a nd goes 3-4X the price sometimes.

lotsa people got their eyes opened ( and wallets cleaned.. )

Yep, a 20-round box of hunting ammo can go years if you are either a good shot or unlucky ;) Why have a huge supply on hand? Then they find out it is getting thin. I know I bought another box of 30-.06 a couple months ago even though there was plenty on the shelf... just to be sure I had some if I need to re-sight in my rifle etc.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #624  
The average person should keep??

I would have no less than 1000 rounds of 22lr if you don't shoot much. If you shoot a good bit try keeping closer to 2k and really that's not enough. Think that if something happens you want to have enough to provide for the family. If an extreme situation that 22 will provide plenty of food for your family at the most cost efficient way. You want to have hundreds of rounds per gun that you have.

The media consistently makes folks like us who like to shoot and be prepared look like gun crazed crazies. Just look at how there reporting on the sandyhook kid and mom. Yea that kid was crazy, clearly look at what he did. Say what you do about how they kept guns locked or whatever, but there are stories calling their guns an "arsenal". I think I read they had 7 guns between the 2 of them, not even sure how they labeled who owned who between mom n son?? They were portraying the 1300 rounds or so as ridiculous and a crazy arsenal. Look (forget the incident) they clearly liked shooting 2 people in a few hours can easily shoot 400rounds going slowly, put an ar or pistol In there in rapid fire and that can double, esp shooting 22s. Me personally I don't think they had a lot of ammo, or if it were me I don't think they had enough?

But as my more citified and more urban and socialite brother pointed out, only 40% of americans own guns and the fact that they live in the burbs and don't hunt most can see why they have that many bullets on hand.

I can see that analysis, and the problem is that the media only focusses on the negative and when stuff like this talks about how "gun obsessed" they were, like it was a bad thing. In this kids case it led to a bad thing and I will admit that and that this was terrible, but until they do stories about normal folks who own guns, have fun, teach our kids to shoot, have fun going to shoot, collecting, talking to other who share the sport, and like providing food and being able to defend ourselves (as most of us are 30 mins form police help or more)as many of us on here do this will not change.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #625  
The average person should keep??

I would have no less than 1000 rounds of 22lr if you don't shoot much. If you shoot a good bit try keeping closer to 2k and really that's not enough. Think that if something happens you want to have enough to provide for the family. If an extreme situation that 22 will provide plenty of food for your family at the most cost efficient way. You want to have hundreds of rounds per gun that you have.

The media consistently makes folks like us who like to shoot and be prepared look like gun crazed crazies. Just look at how there reporting on the sandyhook kid and mom. Yea that kid was crazy, clearly look at what he did. Say what you do about how they kept guns locked or whatever, but there are stories calling their guns an "arsenal". I think I read they had 7 guns between the 2 of them, not even sure how they labeled who owned who between mom n son?? They were portraying the 1300 rounds or so as ridiculous and a crazy arsenal. Look (forget the incident) they clearly liked shooting 2 people in a few hours can easily shoot 400rounds going slowly, put an ar or pistol In there in rapid fire and that can double, esp shooting 22s. Me personally I don't think they had a lot of ammo, or if it were me I don't think they had enough?

But as my more citified and more urban and socialite brother pointed out, only 40% of americans own guns and the fact that they live in the burbs and don't hunt most can see why they have that many bullets on hand.

I can see that analysis, and the problem is that the media only focusses on the negative and when stuff like this talks about how "gun obsessed" they were, like it was a bad thing. In this kids case it led to a bad thing and I will admit that and that this was terrible, but until they do stories about normal folks who own guns, have fun, teach our kids to shoot, have fun going to shoot, collecting, talking to other who share the sport, and like providing food and being able to defend ourselves (as most of us are 30 mins form police help or more)as many of us on here do this will not change.

Yes an "arsenal". Yeah right.. I downloaded the inventory of the search warrant. And looked at how few guns they had and how little ammunition they had on hand. Like you said, If you spent a day of practicing, you normally go thru hundreds of rounds. I cannot count the days that my wife and I went down to our beautiful creekside range with our .22 Ruger pistols, and we NEVER took less than 500 rounds, and sometimes 500 rounds each. "I want my own brick" was what she would often say. For the price of a couple of movie tickets and some soda's, we could have a few hours of fun shooting our pistols together. Well we don't have the range or the land anymore, and we darn sure could not afford $90 bricks of .22LR. It sure was fun, and "good old days" memories. Sometime we would throw "clay partys" and I would buy cases of clays, and people would come over and we would fire hundreds of rounds of shotgun shells at claybusting the clays thrown from my thrower.. various powders were bought in 8 lb containers, Primers of all kinds were bought in 5000 packages. Bullets for reloading were never bought in less than 2000 lots. 22LR were bought in multiple bricks. And I never had as much stock on hand as a lot of my friends.. A lot of them would keep 50,000 primers on hand and that many bullets or more. My point of all of this is,.. News Reporters would not know an "arsenal" from an anvil. I don't really want to comment on how many guns I have, but I was not impressed by their "arsenal".

James K0UA

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #626  
I agree with your last comment. I mention stiff sometimes but like there to be some cloudiness to what I do or don't have. But the amount of guns they had was not a lot.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #627  
Well I went to the local swap meet again yesterday with the stuff I have been trying to get rid of....junk! But I took some 22LR bricks with me, this time I set them out at $40 for 500 $45 for 525 and $50 for 550. You usually get people trying to talk you down on things you have priced?? Well not on the 22LR prices they do not even ask if I would take less than what I was asking. The only question I kept getting was did I have anymore to sell and can you save me X amount of bricks for next week??? Not so sure how those gun show prices would go over at $60 to $90 at the local swap meet. But maybe I should give it a try and then see if they would ask me to come down on my asking price. I would think at those kind of prices people would be thinking twice before buying, but maybe not?:confused3:

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #628  
Yes, ammo for most hand gun and rim fire varieties has been next to impossible to find in our area as well. Amazing that .22 LR is affected, though I can understand a demand for .38 and 9 mm rounds. The only quality ammo I've been able to acquire lately have been .357 magnum hollow point rounds (go figure).

The wife and I both have carry permits and are required to spend time on the range for renewal. Even target rounds for such activity are unavailable. This is nuts!

John

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #629  
I'm thinking i may need to start stocking up on 12 ga shells. Was hoping this would be over by now.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #630  
If you are not planning on reselling it I would think that 1000 rds of 22lr and 200 rds for you deer rifle plus 200rds for your shotgun would be enough. Even in a protracted Doomsday prepper situation if you started hunting daily to feed your family you would run out of deer and small game before you ran out of ammo and by that time there would be no point in anyone attacking you as you wouldn't have anything worth trying to take from a man with a loaded gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.