New 3-Board Fence Going up

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up #11  
There are issues with the new *Safer* pressure treated lumber and certain types of metal fasteners. I can't remember if it is galvanized that it will eat through or stainless..

I don't work for them, but I always use Hillman brand screws. They have a special drill tip that won't split the wood, and they come with the T-25 torx heads on the 3 1/2" screws. I've tried other fasteners and they can split the wood around the screw as it dries out. Sure beets pre-drilling.

I'd recommend that you make a holding jig that you rest over the post and it has cross boards that will hold the rails while you fasten. Make two of them, hang on on each post, lay the boards, screw them, then move one jig to the next post, etc. I would only use screws because if one board ever gets broken, trying to get those ring-shanked nails out of the post without messing it up is a pain. With the torx head screws, just back them out and re-use them for the replacement board.
Otherwise without a jig, I would agree with the previous poster to tack the board with a nail, then screw it in.

I've only built about 250' of fence, but I'm very happy with the screw method since I've had to replace a few pickets and rails along the way.

Doug

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up
I've got the 1" corral boards for my entrance and think it looks "okay". But here lately it's become very fashionable to use rough cut 2x6 rails. I don't usually go with the trends, but man, I tell you...these things look great!

I have a Porter Cable FR350 nail gun that really isn't the problem. The problem really is finding a ring shank style nail that is long enough to hold the 2x6.

I think that before I step down to the 1x6, I'll probably just do what most suggest and use screws.

BTW, no horses, just a few momma cows, so the treated lumber I don't think will be a concern.

Thanks for all of the replies!

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up #13  
I have about 1,000 linear feet of fencing to do here in the next few weeks. I've decided on treated 2x6x16 rails (pine) on 4x6 posts.

Today I went to look at fasteners. I planned on using a framing nail gun with a little compressor powered by my Bobcat welder/generator. But the largest ring shank nails I see that will fit the gun are 3"x.120.

Am I headed down a bad path? Are there larger nails somewhere I'm not looking? Should I be looking at something else for the fasteners? The 3" just seems way too short for a full rough cut 2" board?

Thanks guys for your input!

I have a $90 6-in-1 framing nailgun from Harbor Freight that will take 16d x 3-1/2" L nails no problem. I've used that gun on a half dozen projects and probably have shot more than 10,000 nails with no problem. One of the best HF purchases I've made so far.

I assume that your rails and posts are ACQ-treated lumber. Just be sure you get hot dipped galvanized full round head ring shank nails. Senco's nails for treated lumber have a yellow "ACQ" sticker on the box and the nails angled at 21-deg fit that HF nailgun OK. The new chemicals used for PT lumber apparently eats up bright coat galvanized nails in a hurry.

Thanks for that. I guess the real question is...Does Senco make hot dipped galvanized full round head ring shank nails in a 3 1/2" size?

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up #15  
Thanks for that. I guess the real question is...Does Senco make hot dipped galvanized full round head ring shank nails in a 3 1/2" size?
3" max, as I read it. Check other manufacturers w/ similar angle.

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up #16  
Treated true 2" boards....where can you get those?

If you're looking for strength more than aestetics, you might want to consider fastening the boards in the side of the posts that faces the livestock. That way you're only relying on the fasteners to hold the boards up and not to resist the potential outward force from the livestock.

Treated true 2" boards....where can you get those?

If you're looking for strength more than aestetics, you might want to consider fastening the boards in the side of the posts that faces the livestock. That way you're only relying on the fasteners to hold the boards up and not to resist the potential outward force from the livestock.

The boards are being cut for me at a local mill. The treatment is MCQ, not ACQ. I really don't know which is better, but it really doesn't matter as they only offer MCQ.

Thanks for the input! That sure makes a lot of sense!

Thanks to everyone else for their opinions, too. With you guys helping, this thing just may turn out all right. ;)

I'll post pics next week.

/ New 3-Board Fence Going up #18  
The boards are being cut for me at a local mill. The treatment is MCQ, not ACQ. I really don't know which is better, but it really doesn't matter as they only offer MCQ.

Thanks for the input! That sure makes a lot of sense!

Thanks to everyone else for their opinions, too. With you guys helping, this thing just may turn out all right. ;)

I'll post pics next week.

Here's a little more info on fasteners for treated wood

Pressure-Treated Wood FAQs

And here's one source for 16d x 3-1/2" HDG ring shank nails

FOX VALLEY STEEL AND WIRE 5113139 DECK NAIL RING SHANK GALVANIZED 16D

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if they package those nails only in bulk, or also "shootable"?