New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
Bought the Powerhorse 3 point splitter from Northern tool, and although I was a bit skeptical on its performance, for the money it works great:D

Ran the tractor at only 1500 rpms and that was enough to keep me busy. With the dual sided splitting ram, there is very little down time.

Handled the knots fine, pushed right thru them..

The fluid out is in a poor position, becuase the hose runs right in the way of the ram, but pick up a 45 degree elbow, (see pic) and it was an easy/ cheap fix...

Limited to 18" but thats fine for my use. The cradle /table is great too, no need to bend over and pick up the other half.

Looking for a 3 point splitter? I'd give the powerhorse a try. And No, I don't sell them, even though this sounds like a ad endorsement.:)

Attachments

• Picture 079.jpg
    Picture 079.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 1,762
  • Picture 080.jpg
    Picture 080.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 2,346
  • Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 2,048
   / New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #2  
I saw this one the other day when I was over at NT..
And I saw a standalone for about $150 more..
Website has different prices.. hmmm..

Where did you get the hydraulics from?
I am thinking about it just not sure about it..
Been bouncing the idea of playing with the hydraulics and getting a standalone..

Since I've never touched hydraulics before, would an extra motor and upkeep outweigh the plumbing of something I am unsure about..

Maybe I am just too careful with it....

Jim

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #3  
Nice splitter! Are you running that off a rear remote or a power beyond circuit?

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #4  
Nice looking, well-engineered splitter. I like the two-way splitting, especially for those of us with low-GPM systems...and that cradle's not bad either! If I hadn't picked up a RamSplitter off eBay last year for the starting price (less than I could build one for), the Powerhorse would likely be my choice. My stove takes 20" wood, so 18" splits are no problem...plus, shorter logs are lighter...:D

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #5  
Looks pretty nice. I love the price and the two way action. My only concern would be that it can't function as a vertical splitter. On occasion I've had some mighty large oak rounds to split. I'd need the tractor to lift a 35" wide log onto the splitter. Its easier to roll it to my splitter and stand it on end, then I can just slice away while comfortably seated on another log.

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough
Where did you get the hydraulics from?
I am thinking about it just not sure about it..
Been bouncing the idea of playing with the hydraulics and getting a standalone..

Since I've never touched hydraulics before, would an extra motor and upkeep outweigh the plumbing of something I am unsure about..

I did my own Hydrualics. If you have a power beyond and/ or a backhoe/ and a 3 pt hitch its very easy / super easy, just a matter of extending the length of the lines...

Nice splitter! Are you running that off a rear remote or a power beyond circuit?

Off a power beyond circuit until I install me rear remotes, then it will be off the rear remote float circuit...

My only concern would be that it can't function as a vertical splitter. On occasion I've had some mighty large oak rounds to split. I'd need the tractor to lift a 35" wide log onto the splitter

If you lower the unit to the ground, I can roll a fairly large log on to the splitting table. maybe over a 5-6" lip and if you use a peavy to roll your logs then no problem

I looked at the ram splitter but the dual action of the powerhorse made more sense....as well as the cradle... then it was a no brainer..

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #7  

In my opinion, if you don't yet have a splitter, buy a decent stand alone. Yes, you have an extra motor to maintain, but an oil change or two a year isn't really that difficult. Thats all i've ever needed to do to my honda powered splitter in about four years. The big differend is that with a stand alone, you get a two stage pump. Splitting force (and / or speed) you can never get with a tractor powered splitter. Plus...... all those hours being put on your tractor vs. a small engine that can be replaced for a few hundred dollars ..................

Of course with all that being said, I plan on buying a tractor splitter soon as second splitter.

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #8  
FFK, glad to see someone buy one of these so we can get some feedback. These look very attractive for the price. Unfortunately for me, i now make my wood 20 - 22 inches as my stove takes 24" wood. I think I'll end up with the Speeco from TSC, but that looks like a nice splitter.:)

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #9  
What is all that white stuff on the ground? S.N.O.W. Something No One Wants?

Nice splitter.

/ New 3 point Logsplitter, Can't say enough #10  
That's a nice looking splitter. I'm too cheap so made my own and just plug it into the bucket roll quick disconnects on the FEL. I like that cradle design, think I will add that to mine, having to pick up all the pieces that fall off the side gets old after a while. Mine will split up to 24", mostly because that was the first right diameter cylinder that came on sale at Princess Auto. My stove likes 16-17" long wood so a shorter cylinder would have been just as good but don't mind having the extra length, never know what the future might bring.
In the photo I just have it C clamped to my carryall. I'm modifying the carryall to make it a bit bigger and also adding a proper mount for the splitter.

Attachments

• PB240258.JPG
    PB240258.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 1,500