new 410 loader

/ new 410 loader #21  
I thought about the temper but once I get the dimple out, my plan was to weld a piece of 1/4" flat stock across the width of the bucket to (1) strengthen the top lip and (2) give me a mounting platform when I attach my grab hooks. Thanks for the help!!

Russ

/ new 410 loader #22  
Rus
I'll agree with the torch. You will have more control if you use a hyd jack with steel stock between the jack and the bow ( keeps the heat off the seals in the jack) apply alittle heat and presure untill you like it. beating hot metal up is not my favorite thing, hot slage on the face hurts.

/ new 410 loader #23  
Thanks Dana for the idea! I've got a couple of heavy duty C clamps I'll use instead of the jack. Hot slag can be nasty plus it will eliminate the "Three Stooges" effect of the lump hammer bouncing off bucket and thumping me in the skull.

Russ

/ new 410 loader
Thanks for the info. I called me dealer about this today. His response was WHOOPS, equipment is not supposed to go out of here without that latch. He's sending one out this week. I think that maybe the few problems reported may either have been misadjustment of the frame plate latch, or inadvertant engagement of the lever rod that disengages the plate. Seems almost like maybe JD made the quicktach loader almost too quicktach. Thanks alot for the info. Yeah, I would have rather of had the 53" bucket, but there really isn't that much difference between 53 and 49 inches so I'll just keep what I have.

/ new 410 loader
Well, I figured out how to attach my hooks and reinforce the bucket lip also. I finally found some grade 80 3/8" grab hooks at a rental store in town. I bought 2 and cut the clevis end off. Then I bought a piece of 1/4" x 2" x 3" angle iron and welded the hooks on either end in line with the lift arms. I drilled 4 holes in the angle iron and I will drill through the bucket and install this to the bucket top with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I will also use a 3" wide piece of flat iron on the under side of the bucket to back-up the bolts. So in effect, I have added 1/2" of thickness to the upper lip of the bucket. I could have just welded the plate to the top, but by using bolts, it will be easy to remove this assembly if a hook breaks or whatever. Plus no welding on the bucket reduces the possibility of heat related damage to the structural stength of the bucket. I've even thought that since this is really not that expensive or hard to change, I could make up a second angle iron set-up with slip hooks for working with straps or cables.

/ new 410 loader #26  
Sounds to me like a little "overkill"./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But that's a lot better than having something bend or break.

Bird

/ new 410 loader
Yeah Bird, you're probably right, but a piece of angle iron and a piece of flat iron really don't cost all that much. And like you say, at least I'm not likely to bend the bucket lip with this set-up.