New 5425

/ New 5425
We had originally spec'ed out a 5325 as I felt it was the most comparable to the Kubota M6800 we currently own. Due to the lengthy build time on the 5325 we stepped up to a 5425 that the dealer had on the lot. The one thing I gave up for the extra horsepower was the E-hitch. In the long run, I believe I'll be happier with a few more ponies and having AC this summer rather than waiting until September to get the 5325.

The difference between the 5425 and the 5525 was around $3,000. We are already stretching our budget pretty thin reaching for the 5425. We just couldn't afford more. In a couple years, once the warranty is out, we can always turn the 5425 into a 5525. I don't think it is too difficult to add some more fuel to the cylinders. :D

/ New 5425 #22  
I think you made a good choice. The 5425 is larger than the 5325 and that can come in handy at times. The Cab is hard to beat.

I hope you get it back soon,
D.

/ New 5425
I just hope I don't take down the arena rail when I drag. You know how picky those dressage people can be about their footing! :D

/ New 5425
The 5425 was waiting for me when I got home. :D I put the drag on it, busted up some manure in a small pasture and then put the 8' brush hog on. Guess what? The rockshaft immediately started surging again. Whatever level you put the brush hog at, the rockshaft would sink 4 to 6 inches and then recover to its original height. Sink back down, recover, sink back down, recover, sink back down, recover. I am not, in any way, shape, or form happy.

Engine rpm only influences how fast this happens. Higher rpm, quicker drop and recovery. Doesn't matter what positions the lift or draft controls are placed in. The only time it doesn't surge is in the float position. Well, I can't really brush hog in the float position. I sure can't work in the arena like this.

The tractor has been delivered to me twice with this issue. I don't think a brand new, never been used before tractor should have this problem. We'll find out how it goes with the dealer tomorrow. I'm sure they must be frustrated too.

On another note, the cab is quiet, comfortable and the AC works awesome in 100 degree heat.

/ New 5425
Again, my dealer is standing behind the tractor with his service. They'll be coming back out to pick up the tractor to see what the issue is. This time, I'm leaving the brush hog attached so they can see exactly what I have on the 3 pt hitch and what the problem is with my equipment. I am irritated with the rockshaft, but it is what it is.

I'm darned happy with the dealer. He is doing what he can to get this right. He shares my frustration with the tractor. This is starting to cost him too.

/ New 5425 #26  
tjkadar said:
Again, my dealer is standing behind the tractor with his service. They'll be coming back out to pick up the tractor to see what the issue is. This time, I'm leaving the brush hog attached so they can see exactly what I have on the 3 pt hitch and what the problem is with my equipment. I am irritated with the rockshaft, but it is what it is.

I'm darned happy with the dealer. He is doing what he can to get this right. He shares my frustration with the tractor. This is starting to cost him too.

It is good your dealer is working with you.

How about they send a tech out so you can demo it. It seems that you can break it pretty regular like. I bet the weight on the 3pt does make a difference.

Have you tried changing the sensitivity? That is the knob off to the side of the ehitch control. There are 2 other controls under a cover at the bottom of the e-hitch - One for speed and one for make height. The 3rd one which you can turn all the way off adjusts the sensitivity to digging in, etc. You might turn that off to see if it changes the behavior any.

D.

/ New 5425
I wish I had the ehitch, but alas, I have the simple lift and draft controls only. They actually sent a mechanic out the first time to see if it was field repairable. I was able to demonstrate the problem fairly easily. The ran through a bunch of combinations of lift, draft, and drop rate controls with the same results.

The same mechanic came out at 8:00 AM this morning, took a look at the 8' brush hog and said, "we tested this thing out with much heavier implements than that and it was rock steady." But as soon as he lifted the hog up, it began pulsing again. At this point, everyone is a bit frustrated - the dealer, the mechanic, the owner (my Dad), and the operator (me).

Sparrow & Kennedy have been excellent to work with. When you have a dealer that answers email at 9:00 at night while he is at the REM concert... well, they don't get any better than that. The mechanic is at your farm by 8:00 in the morning... again, what more can you ask for?

I really like the tractor. Once the rockshaft is sorted, I'll be very happy.

Nathan,

Initially the lift was set right below transport height and the draft was about an inch or so from float. Once is started to pulse, I left the lift where it was and moved the draft to every conceivable position. It pulsed in all combinations. The only time it does not pulse is if both lift and draft handles are all the way down in the float position.

/ New 5425 #29  
tjkadar said:
I wish I had the ehitch, but alas, I have the simple lift and draft controls only. They actually sent a mechanic out the first time to see if it was field repairable. I was able to demonstrate the problem fairly easily. The ran through a bunch of combinations of lift, draft, and drop rate controls with the same results.

The same mechanic came out at 8:00 AM this morning, took a look at the 8' brush hog and said, "we tested this thing out with much heavier implements than that and it was rock steady." But as soon as he lifted the hog up, it began pulsing again. At this point, everyone is a bit frustrated - the dealer, the mechanic, the owner (my Dad), and the operator (me).

Sparrow & Kennedy have been excellent to work with. When you have a dealer that answers email at 9:00 at night while he is at the REM concert... well, they don't get any better than that. The mechanic is at your farm by 8:00 in the morning... again, what more can you ask for?

I really like the tractor. Once the rockshaft is sorted, I'll be very happy.

Nathan,

Initially the lift was set right below transport height and the draft was about an inch or so from float. Once is started to pulse, I left the lift where it was and moved the draft to every conceivable position. It pulsed in all combinations. The only time it does not pulse is if both lift and draft handles are all the way down in the float position.

My bad, I read it wrong. I thought you had e-hitch.

It sounds like it might be time to get John Deere Engineering involved or just get you another tractor...

D.

/ New 5425
It was an easy mistake to make. I've been dreaming about an e-hitch for awhile. With all the posts I've made asking questions about it, and having ordered it on the 5325 (which I didn't get, instead moving up to the 5425), I can see why you assumed it was on my current tractor. Of course, the e-hitch is the one option I can't get retro-fitted.