new 5500 4wd

/ new 5500 4wd #1  

tractorboy5500

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5500 4WD, 275 FEL
got my new 5500 4 wd drive last week and really used it alot today, i was surprised of what it can do with a 6' bb, glad i got the armstrong hd, all the frame work is solid welded and they was not afraid to put some steal on it, i think it weighs about 546 pounds. love the way this machine drives.

/ new 5500 4wd #2  
This has been brought up before but you may not have seen it (about a year ago). The owners manual says to change oil/filter on the 00 series tractors at 50hrs. I changed my 6000 oil/filter at 25hrs (actually 27, but whose counting). I got the Service Manual and it states to change it then. I have about 207hrs now and it runs like a top. I also believe the owners manual says the trans oil is good till 1000hrs (don't quote me though) and the Service manual says the first change should be at 250hrs. I changed mine this past week as I didn't have anything better to do but spend $70 bucks on gear oil. Good luck with the 5500. 00 series are great tractors that work harder than the HP ratings. BobG in VA

/ new 5500 4wd #3  
Bob
The 50 hour schedule says to change the return line filter also. Can I assume that is a misprint? George

/ new 5500 4wd #4  
I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm going to assume you are referring to the hydraulic suction line?? I made no reference to hydraulics. BobG in VA

/ new 5500 4wd #5  
Bob
Sorry for the confusion. On page 43 of my owners manual it says to change the return line filter on the steering at 50 hours. I am thinking that is a misprint as the power steering fluid is not to be changed until 1000 hours. Best, George

/ new 5500 4wd #6  
I checked your profile and, darn, I don't know what kind of tractor you have so I'm not sure where to look??!! Is it a Mahindra 00 series?? bobg

/ new 5500 4wd #7  
I too questioned the change of steerin' fluid filter. I was told to do so at 50 hrs. by Mahindra "Tech" in Texas. Mine has a sticker on the fluid reservoir. It also says to do so.

Here is a link to another post on what I was advised to do for the 50 hr. service.

The Service Schedule in the Operators manual contains errors. It would be nice if when they fix things to send owners an updated copy. Might save them from answering so many questions, and certainly save us owners from being confused. What say, Musa Marketing??

/ new 5500 4wd #8  
Bob
I have a 5500FWD... I need to update my profile...I found another reference to the steering filter on page 54 of the owners manual. It says to change it at 50 and again at 1000. Also says "For tractors fitted with Auxiliary Remote Valve- change the oil after 150 hours regularly." Can anyone explain that to a dummy like me?

/ new 5500 4wd #9  
I'll try: The hydraulics on the 00 series (glad to see you have a 5500) are run off of a tandem set of 2 hyd pumps. One is for the 3pt and any other auxiliary hydraulics and one is for the hydrostatic power steering. They are separate units. The steering resevoir is separate from the "lifting" hydraulics resevoir. It obiviously has its own filter as the the main hydraulics suction line has a filter (its the big gray filter on the right side of the tractor (same side as the engine oil filter). Most of the 00 series tractors came with auxiliary or "power beyond" outlets. Yours can be found at the rear of the tractor at about 10 oclock from the differential. You will see two "bronzee" looking things with rubber caps in them. That's it. You can add more if you want. The lever that operates this outlet is on your left side (as you are in the seat) behind the PTO lever. Hope this helps. As a matter of fact I may have to look for that steering filter myself cause my dealer may not have changed it at the 50 hr service (had him change the fuel filters though). I'll do some research in the Service manual and report back. BobG in VA

/ new 5500 4wd #10  
Went thru the operator's manual, the service manual and the Parts Catalog (separate 3 ring binder that I also have). There is mention of a steering filter as you stated. The Service manual mentions it, but there is no schematic nor part # listed. The parts catalog mentions a filter, but does not show the filter in the steering breakdown. I believe it is an integral part of the power steering resevoir. It does not have a separate # showing the filter. All I can say is "Drive On". Don't worry about it. I'm not.....BobG in VA Have a good week folks!