New B XX50 sticker shock

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #1  

sierradmax

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 Bobcat 763 & 2009 S-175
I've been contemplating a cab for my B2320. I recently stopped by my Kubota dealer and there was a brand new Cab model in front of the entrance. I noticed it was a B2650 with a loader. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman the price.. $28,000...I'm sure there's wiggle room but are the new cab B's worth $10,000 more than their counterpart (i.e. B2650 to B2620)? With the sims cab or curtis cab on a B2620, wouldn't people consider an equivalent tractor while saving $5,000 (est.)?

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #2  
I've been contemplating a cab for my B2320. I recently stopped by my Kubota dealer and there was a brand new Cab model in front of the entrance. I noticed it was a B2650 with a loader. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman the price.. $28,000...I'm sure there's wiggle room but are the new cab B's worth $10,000 more than their counterpart (i.e. B2650 to B2620)? With the sims cab or curtis cab on a B2620, wouldn't people consider an equivalent tractor while saving $5,000 (est.)?

I've owned a B2620 with a Sims Indy Cab and the quality is not even close to what you get with a factory cab (not to mention they're really noisy inside since there's no sound deadening.) Also, remember that the price difference between a B2620 and a B2650 is more than just the price of the cab. It includes other features such as stronger capacity loader (with 3rd function option), larger backhoe option (BH77 vs. BH65), position control 3PH with telescopic arms and higher capacity lift, heat/air conditioning, multi-stage cruise control, clutchless PTO, tilt steering, digital dash, front cab lights, upgraded deluxe seat, stereo option/speakers, horn, etc. - the list is fairly large when you look at it more closely.)

As for the Sims Cab (while MUCH better than the Curtis Cab for the B2x20 series), I probably wouldn't recommend one unless this was your only option. The install is a fairly lengthy process and they don't supply you with all the right parts out of the box. I did a thread on TBN a while back documenting a lot the issues with the install (most of it was missing hardware and the heater kit they supply was totally useless.)

Once you actually add in all the options equivalent to what you get with a factory cab the price ends up being closer to the difference between the B2620 and the B2650 than you might think. I believe it cost me close to $7k by the time it arrived at me door (not counting the two days to do the install/wiring.) Plus, you still don't end up with air conditioning for the summer, and it isn't practical to remove the cab whenever you like either.

I ended up selling my B2620 earlier this year. I decided to go with a Kubota factory cab instead.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #3  
The 2x20 series is not comparable to the 2650. The 2650 is more comparable to a 2630. Look at the specs and you'll see that a B2650 is about like a B2630 with a cab and some upgrades like a model year change for cars.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #4  
As for the Sims Cab (while MUCH better than the Curtis Cab for the B2x20 series), I probably wouldn't recommend one unless this was your only option. The install is a fairly lengthy process and they don't supply you with all the right parts out of the box. I did a thread on TBN a while back documenting a lot the issues with the install (most of it was missing hardware and the heater kit they supply was totally useless.)

I have no experience with the Sims cab so I was wondering what makes it better than the Curtis? It's pretty hard to tell from the limited pictures on the web site but they look pretty similar and they are priced comparably.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #5  
I have no experience with the Sims cab so I was wondering what makes it better than the Curtis? It's pretty hard to tell from the limited pictures on the web site but they look pretty similar and they are priced comparably.

The design of the Curtis B2x20 series cabs just isn't as nice as the Sims Indy Cab. The Curtis cab doesn't offer hard side door options and when you have a backhoe you can't use the rear hard panel kit versus the Sims Cab which has both hard sided doors and a removal hard panel, which works with the backhoe. There's some really good detailed pictures of both posted on this site so you can compare for yourself, but after seeing the B2x20 cab from Curtis I ended up going with the Sims Indy cab.

Also, there's many other manufacturers of cabs and many of them are better than both of them, including Tektite and Laurin (albeit more expensive.)

If you're talking about different cab models from Curtis such as the BX ones, then I'd probably argue the Curtis cabs are much better designed (and looking) than the comparable Sims unit and is definitely a better value for the money. They sell a number of them at my local dealer, so I've had the opportunity to see them in person on the lot. I was just never impressed with the cab design for the B2x20 series when I saw it in person.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #6  
The design of the Curtis B2x20 series cabs just isn't as nice as the Sims Indy Cab. The Curtis cab doesn't offer hard side door options and when you have a backhoe you can't use the rear hard panel kit versus the Sims Cab which has both hard sided doors and a removal hard panel, which works with the backhoe. There's some really good detailed pictures of both posted on this site so you can compare for yourself, but after seeing the B2x20 cab from Curtis I ended up going with the Sims Indy cab.

Also, there's many other manufacturers of cabs and many of them are better than both of them, including Tektite and Laurin (albeit more expensive.)

If you're talking about different cab models from Curtis such as the BX ones, then I'd probably argue the Curtis cabs are much better designed (and looking) than the comparable Sims unit and is definitely a better value for the money. They sell a number of them at my local dealer, so I've had the opportunity to see them in person on the lot. I was just never impressed with the cab design for the B2x20 series when I saw it in person.

Thanks for the info. I never had any other choice offered by the dealer other than Curtis but I'm always interested in what else is available for future reference. Probably because they are made right here in Wustah. ;-). From my own perspective as far as the hard doors are concerned I really wouldn't pay any extra for them. I find the canvas doors work just fine. I would, however, love to have a removable hard back instead of the snap in canvas one.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #8  
Thanks for the info. I never had any other choice offered by the dealer other than Curtis but I'm always interested in what else is available for future reference. Probably because they are made right here in Wustah. ;-). From my own perspective as far as the hard doors are concerned I really wouldn't pay any extra for them. I find the canvas doors work just fine. I would, however, love to have a removable hard back instead of the snap in canvas one.

I agreed on the removable hard back (plus, I had a BH65 backhoe on my B2620.)

You also in the "Wustah" area? :) I live just about 15 minutes outside of there in Oxford.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #9  
I did a comparison on prices (internet pricing) on some after market cabs and when you get all the options like what factory cabs come with ( glass window, door, HVAC, radio, mirrors) the price is over $10,000. Factory cabs rarely list for more than $5-7K when factory installed.

/ New B XX50 sticker shock #10  
You also in the "Wustah" area? :) I live just about 15 minutes outside of there in Oxford.

I'm up on the North Shore about an hour away.