New battery not starting tractor

/ New battery not starting tractor #1  

JSanders10

Silver Member
Tractor
'98 MF231, MF451
Massey Ferguson 451:

Back story: I had ran out of fuel in the woods and upon refueling, I ran the battery dead attempting to start the engine. I got my Shumacher 1000 amp jump starter to kick her off and drove back home.
I charged the battery overnight, all seemed fine until my next attempt to crank and the battery was dead, or extremely low. Just turns over a time or two and nothing more. Very weak.
That battery is at least five years old and other than this occurance, I've not had any issues with it.

This weekend, after a few more charging/cranking attempts (I jumped it off successfully from my truck and another time from the Shumacher) I bought and installed a new battery.
The battery acts the same... a couple turnovers and no start.

Pictures of the old and new below.
Old battery: 845 'Marine cranking amps'
New battery; 950 CCA.

What am I missing here?
Thank you in advance for any advice/wisdom.

2nd question: I would like to purchase another jump start unit... anyone recommend a specific brand/model at a good price?

old battery].jpgnew battgery.jpg

/ New battery not starting tractor #2  
Massey Ferguson 451:

Back story: I had ran out of fuel in the woods and upon refueling, I ran the battery dead attempting to start the engine. I got my Shumacher 1000 amp jump starter to kick her off and drove back home.
I charged the battery overnight, all seemed fine until my next attempt to crank and the battery was dead, or extremely low. Just turns over a time or two and nothing more. Very weak.
That battery is at least five years old and other than this occurance, I've not had any issues with it.

This weekend, after a few more charging/cranking attempts (I jumped it off successfully from my truck and another time from the Shumacher) I bought and installed a new battery.

New battery; 950 CCA.

What am I missing here?

2nd question: I would like to purchase another jump start unit... anyone recommend a specific brand/model at a good price?

View attachment 823204View attachment 823205
Charge the new battery again. Take it to a location that has a Carbon Pile Tester and have them test the battery. If the battery passes start looking at the starter. You will probably have to take it off to have it tested. Check the cable leading from the battery to the starter with an OHM meter. Clamp the OHM probe leads to each end of the cable leading from the battery to the starter and then wiggle, twist the cable to see if continuity is maintained.

/ New battery not starting tractor #3  
It's likely that the heavy starting loads from jumping (you are also running current to the dead battery besides the starter) have built up a large resistance on battery cable connections. Easily cleaned with a file or sandpaper. OR: you have burned thru a cable either at the connections or internally. Always disconnect the dead battery when trying to jump with a jump-pack. A battery only gets to be flattened a few times before the plates swell and short thru. You might also check the water level in the battery cells. I use distilled water because tap water probably has minerals in it that are conductive. Rural King sells distilled water in gallon jugs.

/ New battery not starting tractor #4  
My guess is you fried a battery cable / cable end. If one is super stiff and kind of cracks or insulation cracks off if you try to bend it then that's likely your culprit.

/ New battery not starting tractor #5  
IAEF....check the connection of the negative (ground) cable at the frame...

/ New battery not starting tractor #6  
If the jumper cables start it fine, that would indicate that the problem is corrosion within the cable ends that act as resisters between the post and the cable. If the frame connection was bad, it would be hard starting with the jumpers as well. It's still advisable to go ahead and clean them up as well while you're in there.

/ New battery not starting tractor #7  
How many hours on the tractor ? It could be a bad starter. I’m on the 3rd one on my 2005 JD 4120. The original Bosch starter in it must have had an issue with bad materials, which corroded badly. I use the tractor for plowing snow in the winter and road salt is used heavily in our area. That one failed just out of warranty.

I replaced it with a cheap aftermarket starter (Power strike) that cost about 1/2 what a new oem replacement would have. That one started cranking slow, when cold about 6 years ago. I replaced the battery then, which helped a little. I still needed a jump when it was real cold out.

The tractor continued to start ok when it was above 70 degrees or so, but cranked slow when colder, and needed a jump when below freezing out.

With cold temps approaching, I decided to buy another cheap aftermarket starter (Amazon now has them for $ 150). It cranks and starts, better than it ever did now, with that installed.

Somewhere, in the junk pile in back of my barn, is the original oem Bosch starter. When I find it, I’m going to see if I can take the solenoid part off the Powerstrike (which clearly has a worn out bushing one the gear end of the dc motor), to make a good spare using the old Bosch starter motor, which probably still had lots of cranking left in it. The corrosion was on the solenoid part on that.

/ New battery not starting tractor #8  
Massey Ferguson 451:

New battery; 950 CCA.

What am I missing here?

View attachment 823204View attachment 823205
Regarding the second question, check out the Hulkman or Noco jumpstarters. I have the Hulkman and it works great, heard a lot of positive reviews on the Noco as well. Compact and easy to use

/ New battery not starting tractor #9  
I would say your problem isnt the battery.

/ New battery not starting tractor #10  
You might be able to just clean out the starter motor and get things working.