New Branson Owner 3510i

/ New Branson Owner 3510i #11  
What does my dealer have to gain? I do not have to buy filters through him, in fact, I don't intend on getting it serviced there any more after the initial 50 hour check.

If I were a manufacturer I wouldn't like to be responsible for failures (even remotely possible) caused by an aftermarket or no name filter. (We all know that SOME operations often run the cheapest most easily available parts) Rather than release a list of approved filters it is easier to "like" giving a warranty for a failure not having the variable of an unknown. After all that is all was said was they didn't "like" to honour the warranty. And cost / availability isn't an issue. I'd just rather use what is recommended.

FWIW Baldwin filters are great. Goes to show what a great company Kukje is for warrantying two motors for you. You must have a large fleet.

/ New Branson Owner 3510i #12  
claggstractors, you are sooo right. I have been in the business for 23 years. 99% of the warranty nightmare stories you hear are due to the dealer not the mfg. Branson is great on warranties! Also, yes, The Kukje/Cummins is a bit noisy.

/ New Branson Owner 3510i #13  
Thanks Midstate. I guess you guys are right. I'm glad Branson is good on warranties. Ted Horning in Galt CA is my dealer BTW. Maybe he can weigh in.

/ New Branson Owner 3510i
Thank you, midstate, for your opinion on the kukje/cummins. I hate to ask a silly question here but if there were some issue with my kukje what are some signs I might look for? Say for instance an injector was going bad or some other horrible thing that I read about on these forums. I hate to wish problems on myself but I'm new to small diesel engines. Other things on my 3510i...hydraulics, clutch, etc. etc. don't bother me in the least....maybe I've just been reading too many threads on pulling engines, holes in blocks, thrown rods, etc.

/ New Branson Owner 3510i #15  
Only problem I've had with the A series engine is, very rarely, they will drop the thrust washers on the back of the crankshaft. When this happens there will be a lot of slack back and forth on the crank. I've had this happen on two out of hundreds. One on a 3 cyl. one on a 4 cyl.. Both machines this happened with less than 200 hours. Very rare but can happen. Probably due to improper installation at the factory.

Hmmm....thanks claggstractors. When this happens is it a pretty obvious problem? All my buddies are familiar with large diesels so they aren't much help. Maybe I should take their advice and "run it 'til it breaks and THEN fix it". I just thought that maybe the extra little knock I'm hearing could be some old/bad fuel or something simple to diagnose and fix. Thanks again.

/ New Branson Owner 3510i #17  
I think you will have no problems with it. Kukje tells me that 1'800 is the idle RPM that your engine likes best. You may get a little extra noise or vibration at lower RPM's.

1800? Very good to know. Thanks midstate.