New buyer looking for advice

/ New buyer looking for advice
I have to wonder why you want to buy a tractor big enough for one project that doesn't match the needs/wants for the other 99% of your use? Why not rent/hire for the one project and buy for the other 99?

I will have other uses but nothing specific right now. I'm a buy it once and right kind of guy... but don't want to overkill for the sake of buying something big either.

LS R3039, 39 HP, quick attach loader, max lift at pins to full height: 2250lbs. New HST units go for around $19k, Shuttle units about $1k less.

Same tractor as the New Holland Boomer 35.

Wow, that thing is getting big. If I can find a decent used one, might be something I'd consider but I'd really rather be smaller if possible.

Thanks

/ New buyer looking for advice #13  
Bear in mind that power stats, for horsepower, hydraulic lift, etc., are for machines when new.

The only thing that gets stronger with age is cheese.

Buy at least 10% over the minimum capacity you believe you need.

Tractors shrink a couple weeks after you take delivery.

/ New buyer looking for advice #14  
Bear in mind that power stats, for horsepower, hydraulic lift, etc., are for machines when new.

The only thing that gets stronger with age is cheese.

Buy at least 10% over the minimum capacity you believe you need.

Tractors shrink a couple weeks after you take delivery.
lol, two weeks might be pushing it! Mine shrunk almost immediately ... and I was going to go one size smaller! Glad I didn't.

/ New buyer looking for advice #15  
Thanks.... Where are you finding that? I've been using tractordata.com and getting generally larger numbers.

To make sure I have this right, breakout force is what it will lift off of the ground and full height is what it will lift to full height, correct?

If so, is the height/weight ratio basically straight line or parabolic?

Thanks!

Those are the numbers from Tractordata.com

Breakout force is a combination of the lift cylinders, and the curl cylinders, as though you were breaking a chunk of dirt out of a pile. That number is higher than lift capacity.

Lift to full height is the maximum weight the loader can lift, using only the lift cylinders, to it's maximum height. At less than full height, the loader can lift more than the book max, and some brands list a figure for around 59" to put it in perspective.

Keep in mind it's hard to lift anything from the actual pins, and every inch forward of that reduces lift capacity. At 20" (500mm) the loader we're talking about is down to 845lbs to full height.

You also have to subtract the weight of the SSQA, bucket, or forks from lift capacity.

To be able to lift 1,700lbs with any frequency, I'd definitely want a lader that spec'd out over 2,000lbs....more like 2,200lbs.

Starting to think buying a tractor for my lifting needs isn't going to work. I'm really surprised at how little lifting power there is on a tractor compared to a skid steer.

I'd still like to have one around for a bunch of general duties, but I'm getting into a size of tractor that becomes a bit crazy for 2 acres even when I consider a few other uses I'll have (work at rental properties, etc.).

I really expected there would be a decently small tractor with the power of a larger tractor.

/ New buyer looking for advice #18  
I really expected there would be a decently small tractor with the power of a larger tractor.
lol, flying too close to the sun huh?

But seriously, you have to consider the weight & frame size needed to handle more weight with a loader. That R3039 from LS is a nice size with a stronger loader than most tractors in that size. But if you want more capacity, you need to go larger.

/ New buyer looking for advice #19  
I'm really surprised at how little lifting power there is on a tractor compared to a skid steer.

Tractors are primarily PULLING machines; the three point hitch is the fundamental working part of the machine.

Tractor FEL's are accessories. NICE accessories, but accessories none the less.

Skid Steers are fundamentally PUSHING machines.

The Westendorf Thrifty Lift in Baby Grand's Post #17 looks interesting…...

Last edited:
   / New buyer looking for advice #20  
Also when comparing a Skidsteer you must consider how much closer to the loader bucket the front tires or front of the track is on a SS versus a tractor. You lose a lot of lift power there, no different than lifting at the hinge pins or forward a few inches. It's simple mathematics.

As to your uses, beyond lifting the blocks, something the size of the JD2210 you mentioned will do everything you've talked about. And it will also serve as a lawncare tool.