New BX 2350 Questions

/ New BX 2350 Questions #1  

Craig_S

First post here, although I've been reading a couple of weeks since I bought my Kubota. I'm pretty dang happy with the machine, but have a few minor issues I'm going to bring up with the dealer. From my reading, I'm aware of the upgrade issues available and I'm sure none of the improvements have been installed on my machine. Although, I sort of like the seat?

I emailed the dealer with a list of the following issues. Nothing too pressing and told him I just wanted to document them and have them addressed at a later date. I'd like you comments on the following:

1. The engine idle speed is high, I think too high. Tach reads between 1350 and 1400 RPM as low as it goes. What is normal? The adjustment screws are wired together with some sort of lock - which I don't intend to monkey with. The wire means to me "don't go here".

2. Because the idle speed is high, the machine gives a big "shake" when starting and shutting down. I always let it idle a while before shutting down, but since it's so high, I think it causes the shake. It bothers me - probably causing too much wear and tear.

3. The tachometer is pretty erratic. It bounces around 50 to 150 RMP and makes it tough to tell exactly where I'm at. Mostly I'm only mowing with the PTO, and haven't had need to run it over about 2900 RPM. But the bouncing around is a little inconvenient. Comments?

4. I took off the MMM just for fun and discovered two pieces of broken bright orange plastic on the mower deck. They are about the size of a quarter and quite thick. Thicker than the fenders. I can't find where they come from, and haven't had any problem as a result, but saved them so I have proof something is likely a miss. Any ideas where they came from?

5. Once, I shifted into 4WD and the lever grip came off. I just put it back on, but it sort of ticked me off. It hasn't come off since. But I'm careful of it. Would the grip set be in order?

Otherwise, I think I made the right choice and am very happy with the purchase. I mainly mow about 2 acres and maintain a very steep gravel driveway and sometimes a cul-de-sac and 1/2 mile of road. I have the 60" MMM, 48" Worksaver box blade and Kubota snow blower. I've worked the heck out to the mower and box blade. With very nice results. 13 hours in two weeks. Not a lot, but I'm getting to know it quite well. I haven't had occasion to attach the blower yet, but this is far north Minnesota. It'll be sooner than I like to think.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I'll be reading.

Craig_S

/ New BX 2350 Questions #2  
Craig I don't think you have to worry about what you have written about.
they do shudder when you shut them down and I'll check the idle speed.

/ New BX 2350 Questions
Thanks art! Spending the dough has the little woman a little nervous. But she likes the results just fine. Reassurance is good for me.

I left one out - The mower deck won't lock in the "top" position. I do quite a bit of box blading, but so far have either locked it up at 4", or removed the deck when it's rough. I really appreciate the ease of removing the deck. And ain't too cranky about attaching the box on the 3 pt. You should try putting a blower on a 20 year old Yard Man.

I used to have a Yard Man 20 HP gas driven 2WD belt eating mother that I also was very intimate with. I could put on a couple of pulleys and belts, adjust the cut height, blow snow until it quit, then pulley and belt again without having a beer. I hate that bugger. And got $500 on trade! I gave the dealer two huge buckets full of parts in the deal.

I just noticed I still have a hook full of "maybe" belts for the old mother that I'll bring to the Kubota shop next time I go.

The Kubota dealer is about 60 miles away. As is the closest good grocery store. And he told me he'd come out for warranty work. Mostly wondering how hard to push these issues. It might be the only free trip I get!

Craig_S

/ New BX 2350 Questions #4  
Your engine idle speed is normal, in comparison to mine.

The engine shudder is normal as well. It's a diesel, and they have a tendancy to get violent when you start them up or shut them off....all depends on how they engineered the mounts for the tractor.

Get the grip kit and the replacement dash. The tach will still vary a little, that's just the way it is.

/ New BX 2350 Questions #5  
MOPAULY,

What is included in the grip kit? My grips come off occasionally but it's not yet a nuisance.

Also, my BX2350 shudders on startup as well.

/ New BX 2350 Questions #6  
I thought the idle on my BX2350 was too high also, searched high and low on the internet for the proper idle speed. Finally found it on the label on top of the engine. I found the throttle cable was adjusted too tight, loosened the locknuts on it and slackened the cable a bit, and that put the idle down at what it was supposed to be. I don't start it or ever let it idle at the minimum speed when cold, it seems much happier about 1500 until it warms up. The tach is just about useless on mine too, varies by as much as 100 rpm either way, but it will get you in the ballpark. Mine shudders when you start it too, and sounds like it is going to disintegrate when you shut it off, all of which is pretty normal. The one thing I do that seems to help, is even when the weather is warm, the first time I start it for the day I use the glow plugs for 3-5 seconds, starts instantly that way. All in all a very good tractor (except for the disgusting seat, replacement is on order). Kubota is slowly, but surely fixing all the issues that people have had with them.

/ New BX 2350 Questions #7  
My replies with a few more questions....

Hello,

I'm not sure on my idle speed, but my tach fluctuates around as well.

Mine shuts down with a shudder.. Normal for small diesel. IMO

Grips came off on mine the other day and just read last week about the upgrade. I'll be calling the dealer...

Seat is much more pleasing since I've been wearing my seatbelt. Not a nuiscance anymore.

Can you lock the mower deck in the UP position when your lowering the 3pt? I dunno how?

Anyone know what the two round holes are for on the back of the tractor up by the fenders?

I suppose I could read my manual, but that's no fun....

I love my tractor and my 2yr old boy won't let me on it without him....

My fenders haven't cracked yet, but my dealer did send me a battery cover that fits very well..

Oh, I know something else, I ran over my rt rear turn signal lens. A pine tree knocked off the lenz and I didn't see it until it was too late...

Is the is Dealer item only???

/ New BX 2350 Questions #8  
Musclford said:
My replies with a few more questions....

Can you lock the mower deck in the UP position when your lowering the 3pt? I dunno how?

Anyone know what the two round holes are for on the back of the tractor up by the fenders?

I suppose I could read my manual, but that's no fun....

Lift the deck all the way and turn the knob to "top"

Do you mean the holes to lock the 3ph arms when not in use ????

/ New BX 2350 Questions #9  
kevinj said:
Lift the deck all the way and turn the knob to "top"

Do you mean the holes to lock the 3ph arms when not in use ????

The deck lock?
Let me guess, you read that in the manual that I thought I was too good for...... :)

The holes??
I thought that's what they were, but never tried / researched.. I had a freaking tow strap holding the arms up....

Just call me city boy.....

It's so much more fun asking someone on here than actually reading it yourself......

Phil

/ New BX 2350 Questions #10  
I got my BX2350 last week and when the dealer brought it and was showing me how things work he saw that even when setting the blade on the top setting the deck still dropped about 3 inchs. So he got his tools out and made an ajustment and now it only drops about 1/2 inch when set on top. Also he told me not to put to much stock in the tach. He told me they check the min. idle speed with a gage and that the motor should not be ran below that due to the fact that any slower and oiling could be afected.