New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #1  

Jabroni

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
New owner here, having just taken delivery last night. I have this thing about leaving equipment outside and would like to store the FEL out of the weather when I'm not using it. If I leave it on, I know I'm going to eventually rip the siding off my house, or run it into a tree while mowing. I have a large yard barn that would be ideal to store the FEL in, but the problem is that it's up on pressure treated skids and stands about 15" off the surrounding driveway. The Kubota manual describes how to remove the FEL and I was given instruction on how to do it, but that was with the bucket flat on the ground. Can I remove the FEL with the bucket raised 15" above the driveway surface, and resting on the floor of the barn? I could set it down on dolly's and after removing it, and roll it to the back of the shed so the arms clear the doors. Keep in mind that the floor of the barn is high enough that I needed ramps to get the former lawn tractor in and out.

I got the grass catcher too, so the backhoe is outside at the moment which is driving me crazy. The dealer thinks I'm nuts and says don't worry about it.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #2  
Drop your loader off on level area to see how high the loader masts rise (the masts are the vertical part of the loader that fit into the tractor frame).
Now, re-install the loader.

Two things:
Would the hoses be long enough if 15" higher (more, if on a dolly)
Would you want to try to re-install that loader from a height of 15"?

Those masts are already going to be 3 or 4 FEET off the floor. If not well aligned when re-installing the loader, I think you'll have a major problem. That's assuming the mast would even drop that extra 15".
I don't blame you for not wanting to leave the loader out...for theft, if nothing else.
But I don't think leaving it in a shed 15" above the ground is going to work too well.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it
Thanks Roy. So then what you're saying is the bucket should be resting on the same surface as the tires when you remove the assembly?

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #4  
Jabroni said:
Thanks Roy. So then what you're saying is the bucket should be resting on the same surface as the tires when you remove the assembly?

Yep...and you'll see what I mean when you drop the loader off.

A couple tips:
Remove the loader on a level surface. If it's on a non-level surface, it can be a real bear getting it lined up to re-install.

Make sure you relieve pressure (jiggle the loader control) before unhooking the hydraulic lines.

Throw a breathable tarp over it and tie the tarp down.

When the loader sets, heat from the sun may cause the hydraulic fluid to expand. This makes it difficult to hook up the hydraulics. IF that happens, just put a rag over the ends and tap the plunger with a mallet. A little fluid will squirt out...and relieve the pressure.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #5  
What about building a platform in front of the barn. Say about 5' wide by 8' long. This way you could drive up on to it, remove the loader at barn height.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it
kwolfe said:
What about building a platform in front of the barn. Say about 5' wide by 8' long. This way you could drive up on to it, remove the loader at barn height.

That's a possibility.
Or I could build 2 ramps that would be long enough to drive up onto and level the tractor. Great idea! Thanks!

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #7  
Just an aside...I keep everything indoors as well and I disconnect/reconnect my loader at least once a week. I have a spot where my "assembly" fits in the garage, so I just drop the loader in place and simply park between the yolks just like it would be situated even if it were connected. Whether the loader is connected or not, I'm not taking up a square inch more floor area when storing the unit.

You could also put it on a dollie pretty easily so you can move it around when not in use if you needed to. I have most everything on wheels (box blade, grass catcher, FEL, BH, MMM) so if I have a project requiring some additional floor area I can shove everything against the wall quickly and easily. It's pretty cool.

But I agree with all that you need to have everything pretty level and on the same elevation (not 15" in the air) to remove/replace the FEL.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #8  
Nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your equipment. Anything left out to the weather will deteriorate faster then something protected. I drop my FEL and BH every week to mow the lawn....10 minutes or less to remove both.

I think you will need to keep the tractor on the same surface as the bucket when dropping the FEL.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #9  
I don't leave even a wash tub out in the weather. Just the way I was taught.

I put the loader in the garage, then park the tractor right up in under it. This method is RoyJackson endorsed.

/ New BX24 owner....taking FEL off, and storing it #10  
Hey that's a great idea. Did you go to Gburg?