Chains New chains...Does this look right ???!!!

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #21  
Evening BigDave, one thing I couldn't help noticing is that you're getting ready for winter by putting the chains on but I think you have something backwards. In winter, it's the mmm you take off, not the FEL. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #22  
I'm curious as to the need for the chains. I have never had to use chains, unless on a garden tractor.

With most of these tractors on here being 4 wheel drive, I wouldn't think you would need them, unless it is because the tractor is not heavy.

RedDog

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #23  
not a chain expert, but they seem way to big for your tractor. u sholud not have to mess around other than using the tensioners

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #24  
<font color=blue>""any suggestions? ""<font color=black>

We're full of suggestions.
Can you jack up the rear tires? If so, do it just enough to be able to rotate the tire and the cross links don't drag on the ground. Then remove the tighteners. Then roll the tire around and around and let the chains just flop for a few revolutions. Then disconnect the connectors and roll the tire around 'til the connectors are at the bottom. Then start at the top, and adjust the cross links so they are uniform spacing, going from top to bottom on the front (or back) first, then the back last. Keep the side chains in about the same location down the side of the tire as you adjust the cross link spacing. Then hook the inside connector so the inside side chain is about the same location on the side of the tire all the way around, and re-hook it one link shorter. This will give you an idea how much the side chain is "too long" and how many links you will need to cut off.
Then hook up the outside side chain in the shortest link that you can. Now rotate the tire again and see how the entire chain seems to behave on the tire. I think now you should be able to add the tightener.

I hope this makes some sense. Others may have other techniques that work, but this works for me. I don't try to get the chains real snug. I prefer to let them have some slack so when I go at road speed, the cross links raise up about 3" above the tread. I don't worry about the cross links appearing to nestle in between the lugs either. It never seems to cause a problem.

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #25  
Mike,

You win...I was wondering how long it would be before someone noticed the MMM. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif The chains are already off, I was just making sure they fit, since this thread caused me to have some worry. The MMM is still installed since there are still a few leaves yet to fall off the trees, and that's my leaf removal system. The loader is off, since my shed is too small to keep it installed, but I'm getting real good at installing & uninstalling the loader. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!!
Well dang Beenthere, ya saved me a lot of typing. The technique you described is one of my favorites, on machines that can be jacked up.
For machines that can't be jacked up, I lay em out on the floor, drive over the chain, and attach one end of the chain to the tire with a bunji or rope and back the chain onto the tire. This works pretty well especially if you have a helper to keep the chain taught. When you get the chain about 2/3 on the tire, stop the machine and link the chain up. Move the machine back & forth to get the slack out, retighten the side chains, and go to work. Usually, after a mile or so, you can pull the rest of the slack out of the side chains.

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #27  
Dave
You have just experienced how well focused TBN members are. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif Even with your wife’s smile /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, they stayed on the true subject. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #29  
Dave,

Very nice addition to the tractor!

Bob

p.s. The chains look good too! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #30  
Ice ... under the snow - on a slope - just glad I didn't crash into the barn !

Brad in NH