New CT2025 owner, my first tractor!

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor! #1  

Halfcoyote

Tractor
Bobcat CT2025
Hello Everyone!

I bought a Bobcat CT2025 last May on their "0" interest for 60 month deal. I needed a tractor for a week and I couldn't get one for more than 24 hours at a time unless it was scheduled 4 months out. My payment per month is less than a 48 hour rental, so I'm very happy to be a tractor owner now.

It has the loader and the backhoe. I bought a quicktach rock screening bucket from Titan for it too.

I really like it, but I'd probably like any tractor at this point in my experience.
I have had a couple failures, some my fault, others just random defects.

Failures:

Blown seal at banjo fitting on backhoe controls (dealer came out to fix, and said it was their technicians fault most likely)

Blown hose to the loader dump. $60 at Napa to make a hose. Most likely my fault for pushing it too hard with a big skidsteer rock screen bucket.

Lost drain plug from front axle. The other plug was beat up from rocks, probably my fault. Front drive seems fine, most of the oil was still in it when I pulled the other 2 drain plugs. <$20 for both plugs from Bobcat.

Broken bolt in backhoe subframe. My fault. I didn't retorque every bolt on the tractor when I did the 50 hour service, I should have. I have also used the backhoe pretty hard as well as bounced it along over very rocky ground while using the loader. I'll let ou guys know ow hard this was to fix when I do it.

My opinion is that this is a well thought out and built machine that was built to handle light tasks on flat ground. That's not what I am using it for, I am landscaping a lot I bought that has steep areas as well as a ton of roundish rocks ranging from gravel size, up to about 3 foot diameter. Most are the size of a toddler or small childs head.

My background:

Currently a realtor/developer. 30 years as a Mechanic. Airplanes, German and Italian motorcycles, then back to airplanes and operating medevac helicopters, now real estate and doing special mechanical projects here and there, mostly for myself.
I've never worked on or modified a tractor, so this will be a fun and new experience. Yes, I said modify. I have never once left anything alone.

First big modification I am looking into is making a top and tilt for the rear. I want to make it pretty heavy duty so I can push in reverse with it. I would really like to mount my rock bucket to a quicktach adaptor on the back. Then I can back into piles, or skim the surface of the ground and pull out all the >4" rocks, but still have my bucket for moving dirt. I can't use the rock bucket well on the front without my backhoe attached. I would rather preserve the backhoe and only mount it when I need it, also, nice to be shorter in length.

David
Chelan Falls WA USA

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor! #2  
Welcome coyote!

I too am a first time tractor owner with a brand new to me CT1025 (came to me after 110 hours of rental duty). Should you choose to swap the backhoe for a 3 point hitch attachment, you're in for some fun if the 2 series is just a bigger 1 series. I (with neighbor help) just did my first swap out of the backhoe for an augur on the back. Installing the 3 point draw arms without removing the rear tires was .... well let's just call it an opportunity for the use of creative vocabulary when it comes to replacing hitch pins. BTW the plates for mounting the rear tires on mean you can't just change tires like you do on a car. A helper or a cradle for the tire might be handy. We're trying to replace the backhoe today, just so we know how the process is supposed to work.

Thanks for the rock bucket idea. Eventually my land clearing efforts will get to root/rock clearing. This looks more productive than using the backhoe or using a subsoiler/ripper. It looks like this could also be used as a crude roto till replacement for already cleared land.

Did you put ballast in your tires?

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor! #3  
Congrats on the new tractor;I would caution "pushing heavy"with the three point hitch,something expensive could break.

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor! #4  
Congrats on new tractor and welcome. IMG_1103.jpg
Here’s a picture of my older CT 225 doing some heavy lifting

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor!
Welcome coyote!

I too am a first time tractor owner with a brand new to me CT1025 (came to me after 110 hours of rental duty). Should you choose to swap the backhoe for a 3 point hitch attachment, you're in for some fun if the 2 series is just a bigger 1 series. I (with neighbor help) just did my first swap out of the backhoe for an augur on the back. Installing the 3 point draw arms without removing the rear tires was .... well let's just call it an opportunity for the use of creative vocabulary when it comes to replacing hitch pins. BTW the plates for mounting the rear tires on mean you can't just change tires like you do on a car. A helper or a cradle for the tire might be handy. We're trying to replace the backhoe today, just so we know how the process is supposed to work.

Thanks for the rock bucket idea. Eventually my land clearing efforts will get to root/rock clearing. This looks more productive than using the backhoe or using a subsoiler/ripper. It looks like this could also be used as a crude roto till replacement for already cleared land.

Did you put ballast in your tires?

It is way better than a roto tiller for rocky uncleared land. I can clear an area and leave about 4-6" of nice clean dirt on top, no rocks bigger than 4" in diameter, and a lot of smaller rocks get pulled out too.

I am getting around to tire ballast. I was quoted over 600 per tire and a 10 day wait to get foam. I want foam, but I can't send that much, unless maybe it was really that much better than liquid. I might just use rv anti freeze or washer fluid.

/ New CT2025 owner, my first tractor!
Congrats on new tractor and welcome. View attachment 679717
Here’s a picture of my older CT 225 doing some heavy lifting

I love the cab. They don't make one for the 2025. I almost went for the 2035 so I could get one with a cab, but they didn't have any in stock, and would have been at least 2 months to get one. I had an immediate need for a tractor.