New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #1  

Corm

Gold Member
Tractor
1999 Cub Cadet 7260, 1953 Farmall Super A
I'm about ready to buy a 3208 with a 54" deck. It's a hold over model with a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. I was all set to buy a 3206, air cooled Kohler, however the 3208, which originally sold for $1k more than the 3206, was offered to me for $200 less than the 3206. It sounds like a good deal to me. Does anyone have any experience with the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine? It was only offered for one year, last year. They didn't sell many because of the much higher price than the air cooled ones (according to my dealer), so they discontinued it this year. I can't see any reason not to buy it, but before I pull the trigger, I thought I'd run it by the TBN braintrust for a sanity check.

Anyone have a reason why I should stay away from the 3208 with the Kawasaki engine? Thanks in advance.

Corm

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #2  
Deere has been selling them (Kawasaki liquid cooled engines) for years, but then one doesn't really know if Kawasaki in CC is the same as Kawasaki in Deere. Companies put their own specs on engines, which have to do with bearings, castings, tolerances, accesories, etc, etc. I think this habit has been the downfall of a couple of engine companies,- Briggs and Kohler come to mind. They could mfg. a great engine, and then would try to survive off their good name, while cutting corners with cheap construction that wouldn't last. Without knowing more about the Kawasaki CC (MTD) is putting in their tractor, who knows if its a good deal. I would opt for the liquid cooled over the air cooled even at the higher price.

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #3  
The Kawasaki Mules are the only liquid cooled Kawasaki engines I have personal experience with, but of course they also make a liquid cooled motorcycle engine, and I don't know what else (beside the John Deeres already mentioned). If I were you, I'd go for it.

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #4  
Hmm, a choice between a liquid-cooled Kawasaki and an air-cooled Kohler. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. An atv/utility-quality engine for less than a lawn mower engine. Without any other information available, I would buy the Kawasaki in a heartbeat.

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor
Your comments, and those of beenthere and Bird as well, kind of echo my thoughts on the matter. I appreciate all of your input. I'm going to give the dealer a call and have them deliver it. Thanks for your time and input folks.

Corm

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #7  
Well, I can tell you that the Kawasaki 18hp I had in my JD L&G never hiccupped once. It was 12 years old, 1000+ hours, sold it to a friend without hesitation. (And he's still my friend)

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor
Thanks! Seeing as how I already own a Cub 7260 compact, buying a Cub garden tractor was easy for me. My dealer is super to deal with, couldn't ask for better treatment.

I mowed my lawn last night with the new tractor, and it cut my mowing time just about in half, and the finished result is much better than what my old garden tractor gave me. No complaints at all so far!

Corm

/ New Cub Cadet Garden Tractor #10  
I have a 3 yr old Kubota 1760 RIding mower 48" deck w/a Kawasaki liquid cooled engine.It has 370 hrs on it and has been very good.
Sometimes it smells running rich but this may be a sticky throttle control which is in choke mood all the way forward before throttling back after starting.Kubota and Kawasaki collaborate well with certain sizes each will build.
Just be aware that air filters are $30 and all my efforts to cross reference have failed.I shudder to think what other parts might be. Japanese manuf seemed to want everyone to go to the dealer for everyhthing.
Sort of insulting to do-it-yourselfers.
Allez