New CUT recomendations

/ New CUT recomendations #21  
Raptor53 said:
Go with Deere. They are the most established tractor company in the United States, and are known for being the highest quality tractors. Yes, they may cost more, but it's definitely worth it. Go look at the tractors, take a test drive, and compare build quality, weight, standard equipment, and you will most likely see that Deere comes out on top.

I was originally price shopping for a tractor, but I eventually came to the conclusion that when it comes to tractors, you get what you pay for.

You sure you don't have a john Deere tatoo somewhere?

/ New CUT recomendations #22  
I have a JD 4010, and it does fine on my 8 1/2 acres. It was the smallest full Cat I that JD made at the time (2004) with clearance underneath to deal with my VERY uneven and hilly terrain. If I wanted a BH, I'd probably have gone to a 4110. Think if I needed a BH, I'd rent one or hire one.

You have to also consider fuel usage. My 4010 has averaged 0.46 gallons/hr over its 310 hours. I'm hoping that JD will come out with an 1820 by the time I want to replace my 4010 (in maybe 10 years or so?). Who knows. Maybe they'll have a fuel cell tractor by then. Be LOTS more efficient.

Ralph

/ New CUT recomendations
Now spent a little time with the JD2520. Looked at the 2305, 2320 and even a couple 3000 series units. The 2520 feels and fits the best of the JD's. Wonder if they actually intend on releasing the 2720?

First quote for a 2520 has been received. (2520, 200CX, JD46 BH, power beyond for 21925).

Going to go to the Kubota dealer when open and see if they have anything more than what is in the front of the lot. If not, time for a road trip to Kubota dealer #2. Once I get a chance to get a feel for the Kubota's, we'll see where to head there.

The Mahindra and Kioti's look to be a lot heavier than similar powered JD and Kubota. But I could be missing something......

Anyone have anything else to be wary of or look for?

Thanks again for all the advice.

/ New CUT recomendations #24  
n3ra77,
Check out the Mahindra 2415, or 2516 and you will find it to spec out very similar to the JD 2520. The lifting capacities are a little higher on the Mahindra and the implement hydraulic pump capacity is a little higher. Try one on for fit.

/ New CUT recomendations #25  
N3ra77,
I think you were on the right track with the Kubota B2630. Big enough to do some serious work in your rough areas, yet capable on the lawn. Besides that you'd have the 3 range transmission and Position Control on the 3PH. The B2630 might be a little marginal with a 5' rough cutter, but if you keep the weeds knocked down, it should handle it. A B3030 might be a little better because of the extra HP. Only potential problem with the two is that they'll be little big if you've got a lot of obstructions and tight spots on your lawn.

As for 2-range HST vs. 3-range, I haven't seen the need for 3 ranges yet on my B7610. However, my lawns are flat and well-drained but rough; so typically I'm content mowing in low range.

The only negative I can see with the Kubota Bxx20 series is the lack of Position Control on the 3PH. But for most people, the quarter inching valve approach is perfectly adequate. Having come at CUTs with a history of Ag tractors, PC on the 3PH is the norm with me....but I have 'gotten by' with the QI valve on my B7610.

Something to look for would be a left over B7510/7610. They were replaced by the B20 series and the leftovers have been going at a good discount. They're both quite capable, but will be a little too small to pull a 5' brush cutter. They both have 2 speed HSTs and the QI valve on the 3PH.

Be advised that cutting an acre or two of brush with a 4' cutter and a small tractor can be quite tedious. Because of overlap, you'll only cut about 40" or so each pass, plus rough ground and small wheels will will force you to slow down to keep from being bounced around too much. In addition, you'll be right down there amongst all the weeds, seeds, pollen, and dust.....not fun.

If your wife is really into this and you think you may have to fight her for the tractor seat, you might want to consider a his-and-hers package: Maybe a little BX1850 for the lawn and a larger L2800/3400 for the rough work and bush hogging. No problem pulling a 5' cutter with the L series. Bet a dealer would cut you a very good price to move 2 units on a clean deal.

Hey, we're guys! It's our job to push the envelope.
FWIW
Bob

/ New CUT recomendations
Thanks for the replies again.

I have not made it to the Kubota dealer yet, but hope to soon.

THe main reason I thought about the 4' rough cut was there are some number of trees in the wooded area needing cut and I thought perhaps the 4' would maneuver better.

The Mahindra specs looks good but I I think the heavier machine may be an issue at times. Again, I need to look at it closer.

I'll probably stick to one tractor for now, but you never know!

/ New CUT recomendations #27  
For ground engagement or heavy lifting, you want the weight of the Mahindra or Kioti.

I just purchased my 1st CUT (Kioti CK20s HST) and was dumping stones, from the yard, with my FEL. I have the backhoe attached and was dumping into a ditch, but was on a slight decline, facing down. Even with the Backhoe, at times, I felt the rear was on the light side for what I had in the loader. But then again, these Kioti's can lift a heck of a lot of weight and I've got a skidsteer bucket attached.

/ New CUT recomendations #28  
The Mahindra 2415/2516 both weigh about the same as the JD 2520, in the 1800 to 1900 pound range.

/ New CUT recomendations
Thanks. I see the 2415HST is within 2 lbs of the JD2520 (both around 1865). The 2615HST is 2458 lbs. I will try to get to the Mahindra dealer (closest is about 40 miles away) at some point soon to take a look at the 2415.... The MH looks to have some nice specs as well...

Thanks for the info.