New Dairy

/ New Dairy
now that the basic structure of the barn is up, here is what it will look like when finished. we went ahead and covered the entire roof with ice and water shield (even though it is a cold roof) and then will put lifetime architectural shingles on top of that. the siding and trim will all be done in hardie plank. although i am sure i would never have to worry about it, i had all of the walls strapped with 1x3 and then covered with another layer of OSB to create a drainage plane (aka cold walls). the windows are all marvin windows and the large ones on the side, to give a sense of scale, are 11'x11'. the house that you can just see on the hill behind the barn was built as part of the project too.

here is picture looking down on the back. the bump out on the back is a tanker bay for loading/unloading our 8500 gallon tri-axle and i opted to build a shed roof over where all of the utility equipment will be installed. i have never been a fan of roof mounted equipment and there is nothing worse than trying to fix something in the rain.

fire away with any questions.

Attachments

• kates butter.jpg
    kates butter.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 507
  • 395383_2491919257925_1251069118_31914120_645369899_n.jpg
    395383_2491919257925_1251069118_31914120_645369899_n.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 477
  • hillphoto.jpg
    hillphoto.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 443
   / New Dairy
Interesting evolution of the the pond.... The fire chief wanted me to bury a 40,000 gallon tank in the parking lot so there would be water onsite should there be a fire. After running the numbers, I asked my excavation contractor what the cost would be to dig out the pond, which I knew was all in clay. It was a 10th of the cost of the buried tank and the town thought it was a great idea. The pond was actually designed by a state fisheries employee. What you do not see is the smaller pond that is connected to the large pond with a 4" pipe. During a heavy rain, the maximum amount of water that will flow into the pond is whatever will fit through the pipe. the rest overflows into a swale that goes around the pond. since last fall, it has been a steady flow of 7000 gallons of spring water a day...

/ New Dairy
here is an aerial picture and you can see the smaller pond that feeds the larger one. the other pond by the building is the storm-water pond....

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 559
   / New Dairy #28  
That looks like one heck of a setup. Will you be able to see over the peak of the barn from your house? I imagine it would make for quite the view. Do you plan on stocking any of the ponds?