New Driver

/ New Driver #11  
Kyle, that's a big event in anyone's life.:thumbsup: The day you get your license and the day they take it away, along with your keys, are two MAJOR phases of life.;)

/ New Driver #12  
Kyle, that's a big event in anyone's life.:thumbsup: The day you get your license and the day they take it away, along with your keys, are two MAJOR phases of life.;)

Man, getting your license is an awesome feeling. Not much different than driving a tractor, just faster. Any ideas for your first vehicle?

/ New Driver #13  
Nice, Kyle. As others have said paying attention to the road and other cars is the most important part of driving, and being relaxed and ready for the unexpected. I got in a wreck a couple of years ago and find I am not nearly as relaxed as I used to be. I'm hoping the nervousness will wear off.

Do you have a vehicle yet?

/ New Driver #14  
Good for you Kyle. Definitely one of the big days in life. Drive safe I may be in the car next to you. :D

MarkV

/ New Driver #15  
Good for you Kyle. Definitely one of the big days in life. Drive safe I may be in the car next to you. :D

MarkV

From what I observed of Kyle's maturity here on TBN during the past year, I would probably feel safer having him driving the car next to me than 95% of the other drivers on the road...!!!

/ New Driver #16  
Congratulations!

I'll probably get my licence next year, but with the prices of insurance, it'll be a few years until I can actually get on the road.

/ New Driver #17  
From what I observed of Kyle's maturity here on TBN during the past year, I would probably feel safer having him driving the car next to me than 95% of the other drivers on the road...!!!

Sounds about right;) congratulations! My dad was going to teach me till I wrecked the Torino on a back road in Powasson, lol, then I had to take driving lessons on my dime. I still try and use the Smith system of driving.

Smith System Driver Evaluation Check List

Smith System Driver Evaluation Check List

Aim High in Steering
Get the Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself an Out
Make Sure They See You

Aim High in Steering

Keeps vehicle centered in the lane.
Sees moving and fixed objects at least a block away in city traffic and at least one half mile ahead on expressways or highways.
Maintains a safe following distance.
Avoids swerving when passing other vehicles, turning or approaching parked vehicles.
Reduces speed to allow for poor conditions or reduced visibility.

Get the Big Picture

Avoids being boxed in when lanes ahead are blocked.
Avoids severe breaking and abrupt turns.
Adjusts speed when approaching intersections.
Correctly anticipates moves of other drivers and pedestrians and avoids conflicts.
Slows down before entering 渡o control intersections or where there is a possibility of conflict.

Keep Your Eyes Moving

Keep eyes moving at least every two seconds and checks to the rear every five to eight seconds.
Checks to the rear before changing lanes, turning, or stopping.
Stays clear of erratic drivers.
Checks in all directions and leaves a space cushion before starting up at intersections.
Disposes of eye holding distractions quickly.

Leave Yourself an Out

Recognizes the lane of least resistance and positions the vehicle accordingly.
Allows extra following distance when crowded by a tailgater.
When possible, leaves at least one side open for swerving room.
Passes only when there is space, visibility, and distance to do safely.
Quickly re-establishes space around the vehicle when space diminishes.

Make Sure They See You

Alerts non-attentive drivers and pedestrians with gentle tap of the horn or flick of the lights to get eye contact (includes those on bicycles and motorcycles).
Turns on lights when visibility is low in order to be seen.
Tries to obtain eye contact with people when conditions dictate that it should be done.
Gives early signals for turns of lane changes and checks to see if they are heeded.
Does not ride in the blind zone of drivers on left right.

Note: This checklist is copyrighted by Smith System Driver Improvement Institute, Inc., 1993.

/ New Driver #19  
The "Smith System" looks a LOT like the training I got from a private driver instruction school back in 1968...all good and practical advice. BTW I have been driving since 1968, never had an at-fault accident, no citations since 1972, and I drove commercial straight trucks for 31 years in much of the worst winter weather Michigan had to offer. Looks like my school taught me well.

/ New Driver
Thank you everyone!

I'm not sure what "my" first car will be, but for now I'm driving my parent's '95 Ford Explorer or on occasion '93 Toyota Camry.