new driveway

/ new driveway #1  

merlebo02

Tractor
JD or Kubota
Just bought some land that I plan on building a home on eventually. Needing to get a driveway in and hoping I can do some of it on my own.. The driveway will be 3/10 of a mile long.. Was wanting to do the geotextile fabric with lime rock on top.. There are 2 places that I will need to put in a culvert and bring in dirt to go over the culvert.. Otherewise it is a relatively flat straight shot to the build site.. My problem is I have never done anything like this :) Where do I start?? I understand that I have to remove the topsoil layer before putting down the fabric, but do you have to come back in with dirt before laying down the fabric?? What is the best place to buy the geotextile fabric? What should I look for when buying this stuff?

/ new driveway #2  
Just built a short (100 ft) drive with geotextile fabric and crushed limestone. About to start another. I used Mutual WF 200 polyethelene purchased through Amazon. I bought 6 ft by 100 ft rolls. That was my first drive using the geocloth. Seemed to work well. In my area near the coast I bring in a heavy clay and spread 4 to 6 inches thick to cover the gumbo muck. This gives me a better base than the muck. I get it as smooth and level as possible and sometimes roll it with a 5K roller. Then I lay down the geotextile. I overlap two 6 foot rolls at the center a few inches and secure the geocloth with anchor staples aka landscape pins. I just roll out a few feet at a time and then lay the rock down to the thickness I want - usually 4 to 6 inches. The tricky part was finish grading the drive and not tearing the geocloth with the blade. The best drive I ever built was watered in heavy while finish grading and rolling the limestone. The next morning the owner put a 40 foot RV on the drive without leaving a track.