new ecavator trailer

/ new ecavator trailer #1  

Ricn

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota U-35, kx-040, Ford 8n, JD-280, JD380, JD1020, JD40C, Satoh Bull, Kubota L2501,
Been asked lots I know, but thinking we need a new tilt type trailer to haul a Kubota Kx-040 excavator. 14000lb trailer will do the job but many are built so minimally I won't buy them and paint is always lousy too. Any thoughts on something built heavy duty with longer lasting finish? pj seems to built a good trailer but no dealer close by enough to spend the fuel costs to go there just to look. Big max or trail boss is sold here so what do you think of those? poor welds are not my cup of tea so wanting one built properly with good craftsmanship.

/ new ecavator trailer #2  
About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a MaxXD 17K trailer for my KX121.
I had looked at the CAM trailer as well and that was certainly a nice unit..But the sales guy rubbed me the wrong way and lost the sale.
I haven't really used it all that much..Maybe a dozen or so times, But its nice.. Paint had been fine. .. If I had it to do over again.. Id probably do the tilt trailer instead of ramps.. The older I get..the heavier those ramps get.

/ new ecavator trailer #3  
I was going to suggest PJ but you say no dealer close by. I have a 14K PJ model TF full tilt bed. Bought it new in 2014 an paint has held up great. Very nicely built IMO. I haven't kept up with other brands since I got mine. I drove 50 miles each way to get mine. If your nearest dealer is in that range I'd suggest the trip would be worth it. Just call them first to see what is in stock so you don't waste a trip. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

/ new ecavator trailer #4  
I know that they are a ways away, but you might look at Fleming Trailers in Glendale AZ. We sold them at the dealership that I worked for and we also used them. Never any issues with craftsmanship of paint. They build quite a few different styles and sizes. They will also custom build. Check out their website.

/ new ecavator trailer #5  
Friend of mine has directional boring company with several different excavators and they use Behnke (spelling) tilt bed trailers. Built heavy duty and have served them well.

/ new ecavator trailer
thanks fellas for the posts. PJ sales are 100 miles away, worth the drive if having the right trailer or they will order for me.
will look the others up on the net, see if they have a dealer out here..

/ new ecavator trailer #7  
I use a 14K Aluma tilt bed. Works very well.

/ new ecavator trailer #8  
I have a Diamond C power tilt deckover. Good quality not great, but plenty good.

Power tilt deckover makes for a bit of a steep deck & some impliments drag a hair at the end. A gravity tilt is a lot lower, but you have fenders in the way for loading stuff over the sides.

I've had a couple issues with a dead battery causing problems. Spooked me a bit, but never left me stranded at a job site. I do worry about batteries ofva hydraulic failure leaving me stranded though.

Tilt of any sort adds weight & cost as you have 2 frames (one for trailer, one for deck). The power tilt is even more with the pump & hydraulics. Ramps & a beaver tail are appealing for load angle & reliability. But I have a bad back, so ramps do have a downside.
20200730_165041-1.jpg

/ new ecavator trailer #9  
thanks fellas for the posts. PJ sales are 100 miles away, worth the drive if having the right trailer or they will order for me.
will look the others up on the net, see if they have a dealer out here..
You can find out quite a bit about the trailers and the dealer these days without ever leaving your house. Do your homework, then order or buy one to your liking.

I have bought mostly PJs and am happy with them. It's no big deal (to me) to drive 150 miles to pick them up.

/ new ecavator trailer #10  
Ramps & a beaver tail are appealing for load angle & reliability. But I have a bad back, so ramps do have a downside.

I'm a member of the bad back club as well, but ramps are a non-issue. They are all spring loaded these days. The most you are picking up is about 10-15lbs.