New equipment storage barn

/ New equipment storage barn #1  

Blstr88

Silver Member
Tractor
J2023H
Since moving to our property 3.5 years ago our garage has steadily been getting filled with more and more lawn/property care equipment and tools...I drive a VW TDI and leave our house at 445am to get to work on time, so it pretty much has to be kept in our heated (55-60) garage all winter...and with our first baby on the way I want the wife to be able to pull in/out of the garage in winter as well...soooo I finally pulled the trigger on a barn/outbuilding.

We had a 16x28 pad poured about a month ago, and the builder showed up two days ago to start the building, here is the progress thus far:

Pad was first done, I put in the 5 sonotube supports for the lean-to myself. I figured it would be easy enough and I could save a few bucks doing those myself...I wish now I had just paid the concrete guys to do it, digging those holes was a pain! They came out ok though, and theyre wicked deep so should be ok in our cold/frosty winters.

enhance

The trusty Cummins and the older of our 2 shepherds...just sharing because I like sharing pictures of them ;)

enhance

Supplies showing up:

enhance

More supplies and a shot of the build site from further back"

enhance

Walls going up quick:

enhance

This was it after the first day:

enhance

enhance

Early in the second day:

enhance

enhance

End of the second day:

enhance

enhance

This is the view from my garage doors at the house:

enhance

A shot from inside, theres an 8' deep loft above one of of the garage doors (theres an overhead garage door on each end, I figured it would make moving equipment in/out easier and require less shuffling)

enhance

Thats it for now! I'll post more when its completely finished, should be tomorrow or Friday the latest. Its going to be home to an LS J2023, Ferris IS700 zeroturn mower, DR log splitter, assorted smaller equipment (snowblower, chipper, power-washer) and a bunch of assorted chainsaws, trimmers, and hand tools. All my mechanic tools, wrenches, etc will stay in place in the garage.

/ New equipment storage barn #2  
Very nice! your guys work fast. Love the look of the wood siding.

Do you have the DR kinetic splitter? Or the regular hydraulic. Been looking at the kinetic one and wondering if you like it.

/ New equipment storage barn #3  
Looks like a great project... enjoy the pictures!

/ New equipment storage barn #4  
enhance

Its going to be home to an LS J2023

Wait, who's orange machine is this, and where is the LS? Somethin fishy going on here :D

/ New equipment storage barn #5  
Very nice! Was the slab on grade only or continuous pour of footer below frost line and slab?

/ New equipment storage barn #6  
Nice building.
Did you dig the sonotube holes manually or with a PHD?
And what age is your TDI? I've an '09 and still have not decided to keep or turn in.

/ New equipment storage barn
Very nice! your guys work fast. Love the look of the wood siding.

Do you have the DR kinetic splitter? Or the regular hydraulic. Been looking at the kinetic one and wondering if you like it.

I have one of the Kinetic rapidfire splitters, the 55 model with 5.8 horse DR engine. I absolutely LOVE the splitter and would highly recommend it. The only thing I would do differently is opt for the bigger engine option (I think its a Subaru engine). Its very rare, but sometimes on big knotty pieces it struggles a bit, I usually have to let the ram come back and the weights spool back up to full speed before hitting it again. Ive never not gotten through before, it just takes a few whacks. Otherwise its been absolutely perfect. I never measured the wood I split but Id estimate Ive done about 25-30 cord so far with it.

enhance

For what its worth, I havent refueled it yet this season either, Ive done all that wood in the background and have not topped off the tank yet. These splitters are wicked fuel efficient. Not like its a big deal to fuel a hydraulic log splitter a bit more often...but its a nice perk of this style splitter.

enhance

The pile Im working from, it started against those trees to the right. Everything Ive split + the remaining pile will be about 2 winters worth of wood. I wanted to split 2 years worth this year and then just do 1/year moving forward so Im always a year ahead.

enhance

Wait, who's orange machine is this, and where is the LS? Somethin fishy going on here :D

The builder brought that to lift wood/shingles up for the build...my little LS is in hiding :D

Very nice! Was the slab on grade only or continuous pour of footer below frost line and slab?

The entire perimeter is thicker than the center, but not super deep...I think the perimeter was done at about 10" and the center done at 6". I have to look back at the receipt but Im pretty sure thats what he poured.

Nice building.
Did you dig the sonotube holes manually or with a PHD?
And what age is your TDI? I've an '09 and still have not decided to keep or turn in.

I dug them manually, started with a shovel then used a manual PHD to get it deeper.

My TDI is a 2006, so it was pre-emissions - not part of the buy back so that makes my choice easy :D Im not sure what I would have done if it were an 09+, I love it so much I probably would have just kept it however the money they were offering for buy-backs was pretty tempting. Mine has 119,xxx miles so its just barely broken in! I drive 61 miles each way to work, either 3 or 4 times per week...so I have every intention to keep it running as long as possible. Great little commuter cars!

/ New equipment storage barn #8  
Nice...very nice you have. :thumbsup:

Congrats to you and your bride little one on the way. :)

/ New equipment storage barn #9  
Nice job! I will bet sometime in the future you will wish you had gone bigger........
David

/ New equipment storage barn #10  
Love it, exactly what I've been thinking about building, the size is similar to the shelterlogic I put up. Any idea what your total cost will be?
MT