New Farmi skidding winch

/ New Farmi skidding winch
Big log or hard pull, with a small tractor = winch from the bottom pulley... Then hook the skidding chain in the slot on the winch to pull the log with the tractor... On small logs and/or a bigger/heavier tractors, you can safely winch from the top pulley. SR

Thanks SR, I'll do that.

/ New Farmi skidding winch #32  
Thanks SR, I'll do that.

I would do what the manual says to start. Then when you have a good feel you can experiment to see the effect of alternate methods.

From the physics of the winch set up you get way more anchoring down pressure on the blade by pulling from the top pulley which helps keep a small tractor stationary. If the cable does not have a downward angle the cable tension will not help drive the blade into the ground. You will have only the weight of the winch alone to do this. I do not have a lower pulley so I always winch from the top. I have never lifted the front of my small tractor off the ground. When it moves it moves straight back and the blade gets driven in deeper.

Here is a Farmi Article to read.

View attachment 447114

gg

/ New Farmi skidding winch #33  
I guess I don't know how to get that article to show. But it basically backs up what I said above about pulling from the top pulley and skidding from the bottom.

gg

I guess I don't know how to get that article to show. But it basically backs up what I said above about pulling from the top pulley and skidding from the bottom. gg

Thanks Gordon, the salesman from equipment place I bought the Farmi from says the same thing. He said to be smarter than the log or logs I'm winching or skidding. He knew I was inexperienced. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and I will be taking small steps in finding the go or no go in winching weight I put on the tractor.

/ New Farmi skidding winch #35  
Heck, I've lifted the front end of my 60 hp loader tractor from the top pulley... Don't ever think you can't lift a smaller tractor...

Lower is safer in the woods, until you get a feel for what you are doing, and if you are pulling hard from the lower pulley, the blade will dig in...but do as you like, I was just trying to share my experience with you...

SR

/ New Farmi skidding winch #36  
Big log or hard pull, with a small tractor = winch from the bottom pulley... Then hook the skidding chain in the slot on the winch to pull the log with the tractor...

On small logs and/or a bigger/heavier tractors, you can safely winch from the top pulley.

SR

As others have said, use both but be aware or the advantages/disadvantages of both.

Top pulley may lift tractor (especially if dragging tree from top pulley) and strain top link. But there's advantages to using it when wanting the cable to pull up on the log to help the log clear stumps, roots, etc...
I never have, but as others mentioned, I suppose you could lift the front of the tractor, but it's always important to keep your two eyes on three things:
1) The log your pulling
2) The cable going back onto the drum (i.e. that's it's actually moving)
3) And the tractor and winch itself (i.e that your not tipping the tractor over side ways (why they say do not pull at a side angle) or pulling the tractor backwards (and over yourself), especially if your on snow or ice. This is why it's a good idea to use all the rope length and stay far back from tractor so you can see the most without turning head 180 degrees.

/ New Farmi skidding winch #37  
Some good advise from Coby. Watch the cable. You can see when the tension starts to increase. It gives you a split second warning.

I am not disagreeing with SR. I am just saying that you should take into account that your winch was designed by Farmi to winch from the top. That may not be true of all winches, I don't know. If you start out by operating within the design intent of the winch you should be better off as a learner. You will find that the number of variable situations you run into will be astounding and you will use many different set ups for many different reasons before you are done. For some situations I am sure that winching from the bottom will be the best solution for your particular tractor and winch.

On a hard pull from the top your blade will try to dig in and hold the winch back. The winch takes the abuse the tractor just supplies torque and acts as a counter weight.

P1110904.jpg

gg

/ New Farmi skidding winch #38  
Ha! My wife turned blue when seeing the invoice....

You will love it and wonder why you didn't get it sooner also worth every penny you paid for it.

Heck, I've lifted the front end of my 60 hp loader tractor from the top pulley... Don't ever think you can't lift a smaller tractor...

Lower is safer in the woods, until you get a feel for what you are doing, and if you are pulling hard from the lower pulley, the blade will dig in...but do as you like, I was just trying to share my experience with you...

SR

Thanks SR. Your experience and advice is appreciated!

All of you guys have given me the advice I needed. Im headed for the woods tomorrow with it and with your help, im alot more comfortable operating it. Believe me, I know the risks but real world advice isnt in the manual...

Thank you very much. Im very glad your here for me! I will report back and let you know how things went.

Mike