New finish mower needed

/ New finish mower needed #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I have been mowing the four acres or so of fields around my lawn at the new home with my existing 7 foot super heavy duty Land Pride bush hog mower. With the blades sharpened on it, it does an amazingly good job mowing the field nicely. But it does not, for sure, lay the clippings down nicely, nor was it ever intended to.

So I need a finish mower for my 50hp pto Kubota. Would like a seven foot mower but will stick with a six foot because I think that price point is more competitive and it really doesn't take that long to mow. And I'm in a/c anyway...

Tractor Supply is very close to my home. So is the Kubota dealer with Land Pride.
The challenge is that the Land Pride stuff is usually almost double what TSC or AgSupply or similar have in their own brands.
I own both TSC equipment and Land Pride, and it all works well.

No rocks, flat ground, want a better appearance. This area will be converted to a fruit orchard next year and I want to be able to mow around the trees with this mower also. I have a JD X750 with a 60 deck for the five acres of lawn, but want the field to look like a field, not a lawn.

Does paying twice as much for a finish mower represent any type of value? I see the Italians make a lot of these mowers, Caroni and others.
Would greatly appreciate feedback from finish mower owners as to their experience with quality of cut, reliability of mowers, etc.
I have trees on one side and white plastic horse fencing on the other. Usually mow at about 7 inches height.

thank you. Drew

/ New finish mower needed #2  
I work at a dealership that sells Landpride, Bush Hog & Woods. We sell predominantly Landpride finish mowers and Bush Hog rotary cutters. Landpride quality and durability is well known. Whether there is sufficient value within the higher price is for the buyer to decide. Look closely at the construction of the deck, gauge wheel components and blade thickness for starters.

/ New finish mower needed #3  
How tall is the grass before you mow? You will get windrows if you get a side discharge and you are cutting ridiculously tall weeds and grass. My Befco is rear discharge so even when mowing thick and tall stuff it does not windrow. That said my brush cutter does not windrow that much and not at all if I mow before the weeds and grass get above 2 feet tall.

I use my Befco finish mower to mow at about 2.5-3" which is a bit lower than the height I cut with my brush cutter. Mowing around trees is frustration for me on a big tractor. A zero turn would be easier but I do not have that much lawn to deal with so my 21" Honda will continue the duties. The finish mower gets used in one pasture where there is low growing grass that needs to be tidied up or along the road frontage. The other pastures get the brush cutter as the grass and weeds are too tall and thick for a finish mower.

I just bought a new set of mulching blades for the Befco. Not because the mower does not do well in the front yard or along the road but to see if it does better in the one pasture chewing up the occasional tall weed.

/ New finish mower needed
Thanks Rick. I have/had two Land Pride swinging blade mowers and they performed beautifully. Far beyond expectations.
So why ask the question? For mowing something six times a year that takes at most two hours if stretching it, not sure I need
the heavier construction. Other than hitting ant hills once in a while, this is very easy mowing.

Normally if the "better" machine or tool was 20 or 30 percent more, and if I thought I could keep it for life, I'd spend the extra money. But the spread in street prices seems much higher. Like spending a dollar more for premium...

the difference also might be that the Land Pride is built in Kansas and the TSC mower is built offshore. If that is the case, I'll pay more for US made. Just trying to be sensible.

Jim,thank you. Not heavy grass, only cutting top third or half, no brush, say mowing 12 inches down to 7.

that brings up another question...are there finish mowers that mow that high?
I don't want this to look like a lawn...
7 inches or bust.

/ New finish mower needed #6  
Whenever I opted to go cheap on a purchase of a tool, I have ended up regretting it.

/ New finish mower needed #7  
Have a buddy that runs a 7 foot Land Pride. He loves it and can out mow my 60inch Dixie Chopper. He actually mows 8-10 acres every week. It's ten years old and he said he had to change the gauge wheels this year as they wouldn't hold air any longer. He went solid this time. Other than blades he said he hasn't done anything to it. He's trying to talk me into one.

/ New finish mower needed #8  
I havent used a landpride. About 10 years ago I bought a new rear mount finish mower from TSC. I used it behind my Ford 2N for about 3 summers and it worked fine. I sold it when I divorced.

GP, how did the clippings look? rear or side discharge? thanks

Maybe the safe thing to do is buy the least expensive LP finish mower, but if the cheaper one is say $1400 at most, I bet the Land Pride will be over $2K. I"ll find out and report back after a trip to the Kubota dealer.

/ New finish mower needed #10  
I've had farm king brands, built in Manitoba, Canada I believe. I use them both to "recover" my yard from field to sort of lawn. I used them as brush mower than as finish mowers, they performed flawlessly. Both were rear discharge. Kept them greased, gear box topped up with oil. The deck never had any caking of grass clippings underneath. The only problem was tires, bad place for inflated tires. I played the game of replacing the damaged ones but a true fix would have been to replace them with solid tires. My friend still has one, its side discharge and doesn't like it.
I don't know if farm king is available to you, but IMO worth checking out.