New garden plot - will repeated plowing/tilling kill fescue?

/ New garden plot - will repeated plowing/tilling kill fescue? #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
I opened up a new 60x25 plot on a side lot yesterday. The grass is mostly fescue, but it's been plowed under with my 19" bottom plow. I don't plan or need to plant this year, but want to get it going for next Spring.

Will repeated plowing/tilling eventually burn through the root regrowth and buried seed?
2 plots.jpg

Last edited:
   / New garden plot - will repeated plowing/tilling kill fescue? #2  
Yes, repeated plowing/tilling eventually burn through the root regrowth. But every time the soil is disturbed, a new batch of seeds will germinate.

Some of them have been there for a long time and some will be blown in or carried in by wind and birds.

Many species of plants have seeds that delay germination for many months or years, and some seeds can remain in the soil seed bank for more than 50 years before germination. The oldest documented germinating seed was nearly 2000 years old based on radiocarbon dating.

/ New garden plot - will repeated plowing/tilling kill fescue?
I plan to make wider than usual rows so I can fit my little Sears Suburban between for cultivation. I've used fabric on the rows with good success. Just want to minimize as much actual hoeing as I can short of covering the entire area with fabric ($$$).