New GC1705 owner

/ New GC1705 owner #1  

bsruther

I recently purchased a 1705 from Anderson Equipment, in Falmouth, Ky. With a roll over mowing deck and FEL, the price was $14k. The salesman that sold me the tractor also delivered it, for free. He went over the entire tractor, explaining how everything worked. This dealer far exceeded my expectations of the level of service and personal attention from a tractor dealership.

So far, I've put about 20 hours on the tractor, mowing about 2 acres and digging drainage ditches in the woods. Since most of my yard is hills, I leave it in 4WD all the time and it does an excellent job. The tractor's maneuvering ability is exceptionally good and the turning radius is really tight.

The mowing deck cuts really well and is fairly easy to remove. I have a lot of trees to mow around and maneuver between which makes the deck's one major design flaw stick out like a sore thumb, the discharge chute. That thing sticks out like a wing on a DC3. I've scraped bark off of too many trees already and need to do something about it. The chute also gives the tractor a huge footprint in the garage.
If I could attach a cord to the chute and pull it up when needed, that would be great, but it's design keeps it from going vertical.

My next step is to either remove it completely or find a plastic aftermarket chute that I can retrofit, unless anyone on here has a better idea.

/ New GC1705 owner #2  
:welcome:
To TBN BS. :D We are glad that you joined and you came to the right place to get answers.

I am surprised that they made it fixed.

So, are you also located in KY?

Last edited:
   / New GC1705 owner
:welcome:
To TBN BS. :D We are glad that you joined and you came to the right place to get answers.

I am surprised that then made it fixed.

So, are you also located in KY?

Been a member here for quite a while, just don't have a lot to say.
Yes, Northern Ky.

/ New GC1705 owner #4  
What did the dealer say about it?

I found where some were saying that the power of things coming out of the shoot is why it is fixed for safety.

/ New GC1705 owner #5  
I removed mine completely. Started by bending the tab that kept it from going vertical, then finally removed.

A few caveats, kids aren’t allowed out while I’m mowing etc.

/ New GC1705 owner #6  
Greetings neither,

Welcome to the GC tractor ownership.

You mentioned you've already scraped bark off of too many trees. Is it possible that when the chute was new it could tip up more and that after hitting it numerous times it now is bent enough to resist turning upward more?

The GC deck chutes are nicer than many other mower deck chutes in that they are made of a quality heavier metal. But as I recall most of them are about a 10 to 11 inch extension which also effects trailer width clearances too. If you take it off entirely, it does increase the potential that sticks and rocks can hit houses and people/animals. Can you alter your mowing style to trim from the left instead of the right?

Lastly, take your measurements of the chute to a parts department for Cub Cadet or similar vendor and see if they have a rubber version that could be a close fit. . . as possibilities.

Again, welcome to the ownership.

/ New GC1705 owner
Greetings neither,

Welcome to the GC tractor ownership.

You mentioned you've already scraped bark off of too many trees. Is it possible that when the chute was new it could tip up more and that after hitting it numerous times it now is bent enough to resist turning upward more?

The GC deck chutes are nicer than many other mower deck chutes in that they are made of a quality heavier metal. But as I recall most of them are about a 10 to 11 inch extension which also effects trailer width clearances too. If you take it off entirely, it does increase the potential that sticks and rocks can hit houses and people/animals. Can you alter your mowing style to trim from the left instead of the right?

Lastly, take your measurements of the chute to a parts department for Cub Cadet or similar vendor and see if they have a rubber version that could be a close fit. . . as possibilities.

Again, welcome to the ownership.

Everything about the deck is high quality, very rugged. The chute is 15" wide, which puts the deck width over 6ft. I can't even get between some of the trees that I could with my 46" cub cadet. The chute raises to about 45 degrees before it stops at the hinges. I'll figure something out. I just like to keep equipment stock when possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday, I used the drawbar to take my heavy 6x10 utility trailer up to the bone yard for storage. It was becoming a real pain to take up there with the grand cherokee, maneuvering it into place. Was a breeze with the MF.

/ New GC1705 owner #8  
Just a couple thoughts on the topic of the GC units and trailers. In my case I bought a "quick attach" that also included a 2 inch receiver in the front. Talk about being able to see what you're doing :)

Also these 3 pt "trailer mover" units you can get have a 2 inch receiver in them too, which is really nice for adjusting the height of the trailer for heavy loads or varying floor heights.

I bet you're going to really enjoy your new unit. I personally needed to consider unit width for lawn mowing because we have numerous landscape rock gardens and other narrow path or sidewalk areas. I also wanted a mmm mower but I was interested in a mulching unit. Fortunately I did a bunch of sleuthing and discovered a little known product Massey makes which is a 6 blade 54 inch mmm mulching deck. That was exactly what I needed because it has no chutes at all and my total deck width is 55 inches with a 54 inch cut. But I literally had to teach the dealer about the product because they'd never seen one before. With the tight turning radius's that the GC units offer - they are so manueverable - especially without the fel arms and bucket attached.

/ New GC1705 owner
I removed mine completely. Started by bending the tab that kept it from going vertical, then finally removed.

A few caveats, kids aren’t allowed out while I’m mowing etc.
I'd rather not take the chute off completely, if I can help it. The thought of a rock ricocheting off a tree and nailing me kind of scares me.

Just a couple thoughts on the topic of the GC units and trailers. In my case I bought a "quick attach" that also included a 2 inch receiver in the front. Talk about being able to see what you're doing :)

Also these 3 pt "trailer mover" units you can get have a 2 inch receiver in them too, which is really nice for adjusting the height of the trailer for heavy loads or varying floor heights.

I bet you're going to really enjoy your new unit. I personally needed to consider unit width for lawn mowing because we have numerous landscape rock gardens and other narrow path or sidewalk areas. I also wanted a mmm mower but I was interested in a mulching unit. Fortunately I did a bunch of sleuthing and discovered a little known product Massey makes which is a 6 blade 54 inch mmm mulching deck. That was exactly what I needed because it has no chutes at all and my total deck width is 55 inches with a 54 inch cut. But I literally had to teach the dealer about the product because they'd never seen one before. With the tight turning radius's that the GC units offer - they are so manueverable - especially without the fel arms and bucket attached.

The turning radius is great, but not only for cutting. I've gotten out of some really tight spots, between trees and such and have been able to wiggle my way out easily. The feel of the power steering makes it seem like I'm driving a '72 Impala.

/ New GC1705 owner #10  
Man, I hear ya on that chute! I've been staring at mine trying to figure something out.
Currently I have an eyebolt out at the end with a rope tied to the grab handle beside the seat, just like I had on my old Simplicity. The difference is that the the old tractor had a plastic, light weight chute. So it was almost no effort to lift it until I didn't need it up anymore. Now my fingers feel like they're getting cut off.
I'm trying to come up with something simple to lift it and hold it until I want to drop it.
I'm thinking about an old style, manual, lawn tractor lift arm. Mount it on the deck, and rig some type of linkage.
I've even thought about an electric actuator, but they're too slow.
Just have to make sure you leave enough room to drive over the deck.