New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #12  
My 2003 GMC 2500HD with 217K miles was a great truck but it was starting to show it's age. Trailer lights were not working, had to have the fuse block replaced. While I was at the dealership this caught my attention. Dealer offered me $10,000 for my 2003 so I traded it in. Of course I get the hand me down truck, Momma gets the new truck.

I was surprised GM is not offering much in the way of cash off or special financing. I get supplier pricing through work which cut $5K off MSRP. Since the Fed has started raising interest rates and is promising to keep raising them I did not want to wait.

Beautiful!!! I love my 2016 GMC too..Like the hood scoop!

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #13  
Congratulations on your new truck. Is this also a 2500? Will you use it for towing? Do you have a 5th wheel trailer or are you bumper pulling trailers?

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #14  
I would consider trading my 08 Duramax with 163KMS, except I am not crazy about the new interior styling, and wish they would offer it without the center console. A total waste of space, if you ask me. I am also not crazy about my leather and wish they would bring back nice color and textured fabric seats! Not like a plastic tablecloth!

We just traded our 2015 SLT crew cab bench front seat for a 2017 SLT Max Trailering 6.2L . Required a special factory order that should be built in late April. Checked every dealer across the entire country and not a single bench seat max trailering. Had to juggle the options list to prevent the front bucket option from defaulting in place of the bench front seat.
We like the option of seating six, having the extra foot room, less crowding , a place to stretch out for a nap and a place to set firearms when hunting.

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003
Congratulations on your new truck. Is this also a 2500? Will you use it for towing? Do you have a 5th wheel trailer or are you bumper pulling trailers?

It is a 2500HD 4X4. It came from the factory with the Curt gooseneck hitch, trailer plug in the bed, trailer brake controller, and spray in bed liner. We have 2 GN trailers and 3 bumper pull trailers. This one will mainly pull the GN Sundowner 3 horse slant load trailer to horse shows. I now drive the 08 so I use it for everything else.

Sierra HD Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel Prep Package - GMC Life

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #16  
Looking at the prices of new, or not too old used, trucks and I wonder who in the heck has money for these things! List price for a replacement of my current truck is over $60,000! :shocked: A few years ago I was looking at a Jeep with a diesel and it's price was just as bad. :confused2:

Me thinks this is my last truck, certainly it will be my last diesel truck, at these prices. Maybe get a gasser but even a F150 is still pretty danged expensive!

Dan

You can make a whole lot of repairs for 60K plus what you would pay in interest. We all know 0% isn't really 0%.
My last new vehicle was in 1995. I have bought used for cash since ! If I ever did buy new again, it would be a cash deal.

Bought the wife a 2015 used hyundai sonata limited loaded 10 K miles last yr. Saw it on the internet, made the deal over the net, went to the dealer and bought. Dealer ask who the lien holder was . I laughed and told him it was me .
Funny, dealers aren't use to people paying cash for vehicles

Last edited:
   / New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #17  
Very nice looking truck.....congrats. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado HD 4x4 with 122,000 miles. Good truck.......I plan to get at least another 5 years.

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #18  
Curious how GM deals with having another seating position in the middle front as far as air bags go.

One British accident researcher thought a spike in the middle of the steering wheel would actually make people drive safer. I remember the old pickups with the all metal dash and metal knobs.

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #19  
My 2010 Silverado has just a bit under 15,000 miles on it now. It should last me oh.. well, it should last me...

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003
It is what worked for me. I needed to get my wife a new truck as she pulls the horse trailer by herself often. While her 08 is in good shape it is 9 years old with 135K miles on it and I wanted her in a new one. While there are no guaranties that a new truck won't break down odds are in my favor.

I had discussed keeping the 03 with my wife as a spare. She did not see the need for a third vehicle. After the dealer offered me $10K for trade I let it go. If I have the need for a replacement vehicle while one is in the shop Enterprise is available.