New grouser bar on 450C

/ New grouser bar on 450C #11  
Hey big guy ! I have been around track tractors all my life. We have done exactly what you have stated. The first was a jd 350 dozer... the grousers were worn out. We bought 3/8” x 1” flat bar and I stick welded it along side of the original grousers. It worked fine... we debated weather to weld on top but decided along would work also . We also asked several equipment dealers there opinions, all said either way .... The undercarriage was starting to wear also so we figured what the ****. We had no problems.. only lots of welding ��. I now own a 450e series dozer JD. the grousers were worn half way when I bought it along with the undercarriage. I bought the regular grouser bar but instead opted to replace complete undercarriage instead because of work I had planned on doing and didn’t want track problems.. considering it was a lot of steep hillside work. The only thing you might notice with the flat bar that you are considering is it most likely won’t be hard and wear quicker over time if you are on hard surface work.I will last but not like regular hard bar. By that I mean all the grouser bar I been around has been classified as hard bar specifications for track grouser refurbishment. I bought mine at a undercarriage parts repair shop.... we cut it with a gas powered chop saw for a smooth finish. It came in 10’ sticks I believe not sure, but we bought enough length to do all grousers. It was approximately 3/4 wide and tapered x 1” like the pictures on this forum. Another thing to remember is you don’t want them to exceed the original height . you have to be able to spin and turn the tracks. If not the final drives won’t last. I’ve seen a few that the owners went over and it created problems.i hope this helps you.

/ New grouser bar on 450C #12  
They use to run an ad in Rock& Dirt for the weld on grouser bars. If I remember they had various heights and widths.

My uncle mig welded them on a 455 loader and a lot of them broke off. I prefer the 7018.

/ New grouser bar on 450C #13  
At the time we did the 350 we used 6010-6011 x 1/8 . We had several pounds from other welding jobs left over. We also have a couple of mig welders.... 1 capable of welding up to 5/8” we didn’t have them until after the 350. Wish we had them !would have been quicker:).