new GT2544 arrived today

/ new GT2544 arrived today #21  
I did a little checking on Kohler's website and found the difference between a Command and a Command Pro is the addition of an oil cooler, high performance spark plugs , larger air cleaner, 20 amp charging system, larger fuel filter and hardened crankshaft journels on the PRO series. My 2544 engine code is CH23S , which is the code for a PRO but the engine does not have the performance package that would make it a PRO, ie: oil cooler plugs ,larger air cleaner / fuel filter , etc. So I guess it is a 21HP Command that could be upgraded to a 23 HP PRO series . The only PRO part I think it would have is the hardened crankshaft journels.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #22  
My Kubota/CC dealer showed me a used (~175 hours) GT2544 so I am interested in anyone giving an update on how the machine holds up and performs over time. And any tips about what to check (waknesses) before making any deal.

Thanks!

- JeremyL.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #23  
If it has the stupid plastic oil drain plug, the first thing to do is to pull it off and run a proper piped drain to the back side of the engine mounting plate. The plastic one leaks and makes a huge mess over time. Another thing to do is to pull off the decorative baffle on the top of the hood. There's functional vent louvers under that panel and these engines run so hot that every bit of cooling air helps.

Things to check include the linkage between the drive & reverse pedals. It can get wonky and lead you to the point where reverse means a heel lifting the drive pedal. At 175 hours, I'd do a full fluids/filters swap just to be sure. Rotella T6 works fine in both the crankcase and the tranny. I'd only pay for Cub tranny fluid if the machine is still under warranty. Put on the physically-largest oil filter that threads up and fits under the hood, again as a way to shed some of the heat these motors generate.

Mine is working well 5 years / 125 hours later (yeah, I'm a lazy sod when it comes to mowing) even with the abuse I put to it on side hills. I've snapped a deck belt or two, but that's solely due to operator overestimation of the size of tree branch I can safely run over.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #24  
OK, the dealer called and here is the deal: A GT 2544 with 118 hours with a new battery, new blades, new fluids and filters. $1,839 cash (+tax). Sounds like a deal to me; what do you-all think? Captn Ned?

- JL

/ new GT2544 arrived today #26  
I drove the GT 2544 and bought it for total of $1,825 delivered to my place (5 miles away). Dealer said that it had one owner who bought it from the dealer and had it serviced there.

Captn Ned, your comments were very helpful; indeed the linkage needed adjusting. And I will take off the vent cover since it does seem to be a hot running engine. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / new GT2544 arrived today #28  
I bought my 2544 in 2007. A few years later I received a check from a class action suit for $75. Apperently Kohler was rating their engines at a higher horsepower than they were producing.Mine also states 22hp.(Not sure what it really is). I had some issues at first also. The seat broke, tire went flat, instrument panel died, could not grease front wheels.