new guy looking for a tractor

/ new guy looking for a tractor #11  
some zilch,

A couple of thoughts for you. The machines you describe are older and don't typically have quick attach loaders, however there are retrofit kits you can get. As for capacity, most of the loader model numbers are the lift capacity in kilograms. There are 2.2 #/kg so you're looking for one with '650' in the model number at least, for example the 'LA650'.

In addition to what rbargeron said (which is great advice), you may want to consider the L35 which is a commercial duty machine that may appeal to you. It is about the smallest Kubota that meets your specs. Also, to decipher the advice he gave, there is a list of L-3 series model numbers on the Kubota.com website under 'Products' and then 'Prior Products'. This will help you see what models are in those series (two of them, one from the 1980's and one from the 1990's).

I hope this helps you understand what's out there. Good luck and have fun with your search!

/ new guy looking for a tractor #12  
Look at the Kubota M and MX models. New: MX5100, M4800, M5040; Used (but not too old): MX5000, M4900, M5700.

A new M5040 with loader will be on the expensive side if you get hydraulic reverser, but the others won't be too bad.

The MXs will be rather light compared to the Ms, but are quite basic and seem plenty tough. Light is good if you're trailering. All the M's are stouter than the L4400.
Bob

/ new guy looking for a tractor #13  
Well, the Kubota L4400 meets most of your wants and don't wants, I'm not sure about the 1500lb loader though, sounds like you may need something bigger than the 45 horse Kubota. I have one and my wants were close to yours, it works very well for me on my ranch but it is on the light side. It's a very basic tractor which is why I bought it.
You may want to go to a few dealers and try a few different brands to find what fits you.
I am with the Rancher...the 4400 is a great tractor..but will only handle about 1500 lbs... I am not sure what you are trying to lift..but if it's hay( or other things) that weighs more than that...you need to look at the M series. The M4800 with the LA 1002 loader will give you almost 2k with of lift..the base 4800 with loader lists for about 27k...maybe just a bit less.

Please let us what you are trying to lift that weighs that much:D:D:D

/ new guy looking for a tractor #14  
You might want to look into some older commercial grade loader/backhoe arrangements. Deere, Chase and JCB come to mind. I have seen 30+ year old machines many thousands of hrs that still run good and would lift well over 1500#. Don't get me wrong I love my Kubota, just something for you to keep in mind. They will certainly meet your criteria of few creature comforts.

/ new guy looking for a tractor #15  
With what you have listed I think that a 1952 Ford Jubiliee would work very long and very well for you.

/ new guy looking for a tractor #16  
Ditto on the few posts above - M Series if you are dead set on a kubota - the MX series is cute - but you will be rewiring the seat as soon as you figure out that it goes dead once you lift out of the seat...(seat like my lawnmower...) there is no substitute for additional umph and weight ..which bota is sometimes lacking...so a M series should fit just fine...be wary of a used dry clutch model and carefully test it as the clutch history in them is not that great (the late 90's early 00's) ---not sure about the newer ones---hence the reason most people buy/push the hydraulic shuttle on the botas...good luck in your search...you should definitely be able to buy something 50-60hp, <1500 hrs, 4wd, FEL, for 18 or under....people price them crazy, but it all comes down to what they are "worth".

/ new guy looking for a tractor #17  
At the risk of repeating my past posts, Kubota made a model in the '90s that is what this thread is pointing toward - the L5450. Review here. The basic L5450 tractor has a wet clutch, hydraulic shuttle, wet brakes and weighs 4400 lb. The LA1150 loader (rated 2500 lb) adds another 1500 lb. + 500 for the HD bucket. Rear tire ballast adds 1400 more. A 7800 lb tractor with 60 hp makes a very capable work machine - stable and sure-footed with a ton+ load. The closest M-series is the M6800. The M4700, 4900, 5400, 5700 are actually lighter machines than this stout L-series. Very few L5450's come up for sale but once in a while they show up on Tractorhouse or Equipent Trader.

Last edited:
   / new guy looking for a tractor #18  
hey all, new to the site....
I'm looking for a tractor, either new or used. I have a fairly extensive background in the contruction equipment field, both as an operator, and a mechanic. I am also well aware of, and have first hand experience of the reliabilty of the kubota engine. i maintain a fleet of 300 portable light towers that use kubota engines, and 100 bobcats using kubota engines. I am clueless to the tractor side of things.

Here's what i want:
tractor/loader/3pt hitch
leaning towards 4wd, but will consider 2wd/ diff lock
gear shift/mechanical transmission
universal attachment mounting plate on loader boom
a tractor that can handle a loader that can lift 1500lbs+
minimal electronic controls/controllers

Heres what i dont want:
hydrostatic
automatic
electric reversers
creature comforts
electronics
plastic parts
anything "easy to use" or "homeowner friendly"
some silly subcompact thing that people buy to run a belly mower to mow their yard, or a loader with a 4ft bucket

I want a real, basic, rugged farm/utility type tractor. This is not going to be a happy-homeowner machine. No lawn mowing, no snow blowing, no carrying garden supplies around in the bucket. I want to be able to push pick-up trucks around, lift engines/transmissions/axles, and drag logs.

I am not necessarily looking at new, and i have no problem buying used. I just need to know what seems to work for some people.

Thanks for your input and ideas

My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, partial constant mesh gear tranny, diff lock, foot and hand throttles) is a pretty basic tractor. It has an ML250 FEL (6 ft wide bucket, 2980 lb lift to full height at the pivot pins, 4905 lb breakout force at the pivots). Cost new: $19K.

DSCF0038Medium.jpg

I traded a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny)/LA302 FEL (4-ft wide, 800 lb lift). You can get an idea of the size difference from the photo.

DSCF0061Small.jpg

If you really need to lift 1500+ lb , I'd recommend getting a FEL with twice that lift capacity. Lifting heavy weight with the FEL is one thing; transporting it safely is another.